Store bought juice

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Store bought juice

Post by Iris »

I remember reading somewhere the reason why store bought juice isn't ok is it always has dirty protein in it. So since I'm not susceptible to acne, it wouldn't be a big problem to make it a part of my diet for a few days. Am I right? Or is such juice always stripped from nutrient, and thus not a good idea healthwise? (For tose living in Holland, I'd buy "versgeperst sap vd AH") I'm asking because I'm going to stay with my brother for a couple of days, and he doesn't have a juicer. And since I visit him regularly for a few days, I'm curious what is the best solution for getting in my nutrients and energy :) If it realy makes a big difference I could always bring a handpress so I can at least juice some oranges.....
RRM
Administrator

Re: Store bought juice

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:since I'm not susceptible to acne, it wouldn't be a big problem to make it a part of my diet for a few days. Am I right?
Yes.
Or is such juice always stripped from nutrient
No, its nutrient make up is ok.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Ok, great! Thank you for your quick answer RRM!
zackcentury

Post by zackcentury »

For those in the US, there is a brand called Lakewood (FLA) that sells fresh pressed, albeit pasteurized, pineapple juice. Unfortunately it's calcium enriched, but only 5% DV. It's probably the best tasting pineapple juice I've had, aside from the real thing.
bananarama
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Wouldn't store bought juice be too acidic compared to fresh? Maybe not just for a few days, but to do regularly. I'm sure the companies don't really care about ripeness when they make the juices, and the brands that I have bought tatste very sour compared to fresh squeezed and actually make me feel sick if I drink it as I would when I juice it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You are probably right; they will use every little piece of the pineapple,
as you will cut away the unripe parts.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

In my experience having too much store bought OJ makes my stomach really hurt, I guess from the acid, even if I add sugar and OO. I find eating a banana or something will help.
RRM once told me that Apple Juice is less acidic, and that seems to be true.
What would the difference between Frozen From Concentrate and Not From Concentrate juices?
Wouldn't it be possible to have a juice from concentrate that's been frozen and therefor doesn't need to be pasteurized? I guess the demand would never be there so it wouldn't happen, and I guess they use heat to concentrate it.
In canada 1.89L or Tropicana is $4.00, whereas enought oranges to make that I think would be at least $10.00
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:What would the difference between Frozen From Concentrate and Not From Concentrate juices?
In what respect?
Wouldn't it be possible to have a juice from concentrate that's been frozen and therefor doesn't need to be pasteurized?
Freezing foods/juice decreases its shelf life, as cells destroyed by the freezing.
Hence you need pasteurization to compensate for that.
In canada 1.89L or Tropicana is $4.00, whereas enought oranges to make that I think would be at least $10.00
They buy their oranges in large bulk, which makes these a lot cheaper.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Would 'Frozen From Concentrate' juice have more mutagens, or have lost significantly more nutrients than Not From Concentrate juices?
I'm trying to determine whether it's worth the price difference to buy the High-end Tropicana Not From Concentrate, or just get no-name concentrate juice that comes in cans, and add lots of sugar. I'm trying to switch over to whole fruits anyway.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

This is interesting... it doesn't show the concentration process though since this particular place doesn't do that aparently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8KJGtMG ... re=related
Any US residents down to hijack one of those transport trucks with me? :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote: Would 'Frozen From Concentrate' juice have more mutagens, or have lost significantly more nutrients than Not From Concentrate juices?
If it is pasteurized, it may. It depends on the 'concentrating process'.
I'm trying to determine whether it's worth the price difference to buy the High-end Tropicana Not From Concentrate, or just get no-name concentrate juice that comes in cans,.
I would go for the one that comes closest to the real deal.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I didn't notice much difference in how I felt with the different juices, but I always mix the OJ into blended drinks with bananas, otherwise I get heart burn from the acid. Also it's hard for me to tell the affects of food by experimenting because a certain someone could smile at me and I'll feel amazing for days, and than I won't be able to see him for whatever reason and I'll feel like shit. I think I have some kind of hypersensitivity personality disorder. I also find that when I'm in a stable mood it's easy to maintain the diet, whereas when I'm in a bad mood that's when I cave and have to eat (tons of) rice with tons of syrup and sugar, spices, and butter :|

Anyway I had another question. If I drink juice and get heart burn, can I just drink some water and reduce it, and than continue to drink (commercial) juice? Usually I find eating a fruit helps or blending a fruit with the juice, but sometimes I run out of fruit (or my hands have become too cold to take my gloves off, or I become too depressed to care enough to prepare fruit). I know I have weird excuses but that's how things go for me.
panacea

Store bought OJ worse than previously thought

Post by panacea »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingains ... lready-is/

http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_th ... r4=popular

The second link talks about the store bought OJ as the number 5 'horrifying lie'

Basically, store bought OJ by anonymous major suppliers (I'm guessing Simply Orange, too), are processed with 'flavor packs' that are just like artificial sweeteners, can be stored for up to a year before it hits the shelf, is dehydrated, rehydrated, and tastes like musky water without the flavor packs.

So that's why all the store bought OJ generally tastes the same :(

End of store bought OJ for me, I'll be transferring to 1/4th my usual OJ intake as I can't afford a lot of real orange juice, and I'll have to get by with low mineral water.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I've been juicing for a little while now, but can only afford 800ml/day as oppose to the 2L I was getting store-bought. The top brands are Tropicana and Simply Orange; Tropicana sells the low-acid as well. If the supposedly highest-quality producers use flavor packs, how could someone know which company doesn't?
mario91

Post by mario91 »

All store bought juices I've bought till now were complete rubbish.

The saddest thing is the story about tropicana and other big companies, who keep it for up to a year and then add flavor packs... And they don't write it on the label, so people just don't know this!!
This kinda got me furious, but moving on...

The only store bought juice I bought that was not that bad was one from a local company that I think it was really fresh (I contacted the company) and unpasteurized, but still was made with the peels of apples (they admitted), that's maybe why it gave me a lot of gases.

Seriously people, lose all of your hope in those corporate shitheads. I don't pretend to be immature saying this, but those people have absolutely no scruples. They'll invent any strategy to take the biggest advantage of us.
Just buy your own fruit and get a juice extractor... There are plenty cheap ones out there.
And about cheap fruit, talk to producers, buy big loads, etc, find your own way to get cheap fruit, cause there are fruit productions nearly everywhere.