What about minneola's

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What about minneola's

Post by Iris »

Are they ok to eat? I mean, do they contain any toxic substances or anti-nutrients I should know of? I read they're a cross between a grapefruit and a mandarin, and since grapefruits contain some toxic substances/anti-nutrients I was wondering if minneola's do too.
They do not taste bitter, but I find them generally a bit more sourish then oranges. But I like that sometimes. Don't know why, but sometimes I crave sourish fruits.

I read in another thread that grapefruits are more difficult to digest, since they're bitter tasting in stead of sweet. But is this also the case with fruits that have a more acidic taste? (Minneola's contain a very small amount of vibres (less then oranges), according to wiki) And when I juice them, is it going to be a problem then?
Thanks for any help!
Iris

Post by Iris »

And if they are too acidic, will it make any difference if I let them ripen for a couple of weeks prior juicing them?
RRM
Administrator

Re: What about minneola's

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:Are they ok to eat? I mean, do they contain any toxic substances or anti-nutrients I should know of?
The less bitter, the better.
I find them generally a bit more sourish then oranges.
Which means a bit more anti-nutrients.
is this also the case with fruits that have a more acidic taste?
Yes.
Minneola's contain a very small amount of vibres (less then oranges), according to wiki) And when I juice them, is it going to be a problem then?
Huh?
Why would that be a problem?
When you juice them, you separate the fiber and the juice.
You can use a strainer / sieve to remove even more fiber.
And if they are too acidic, will it make any difference if I let them ripen for a couple of weeks prior juicing them?
If it makes them taste better, they will be better.
Iris

Re: What about minneola's

Post by Iris »

Thanks!
Minneola's contain a very small amount of vibres (less then oranges), according to wiki) And when I juice them, is it going to be a problem then?
Huh?
Why would that be a problem?
When you juice them, you separate the fiber and the juice.
You can use a strainer / sieve to remove even more fiber.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I meant. I was actually referring to the anti-nutrients. But thinking about it juicing them won't make any difference. They (the anti-nutrients) will be in the juice after pressing them, of course. :oops:

Would you happen to know their nutrient contents, by the way. Are they comparable to oranges regarding vitamins etc?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont know their nutrient contents, but i suspect it will be something between mandarins and grapefruits :)
the nutrient make up of mandarins is quite good / all-round