fructose metabolism

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

fructose metabolism

Post by johndela1 »

I'm reading stuff that is telling me that fructose is not absorbed like other sugars. It does not go directly into the bloodstream, but instead it goes to the liver where it is converted to triglycerides and fat. The low carb camp makes it sound like a high fruit diet is harmful to our arteries.

The guy in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM (jump to 52:00) says fructose is similar to ethanol.

These same people are saying the side effects of consuming fruit are artery damage and weight gain but I have actually become leaner since following a high fruit diet. Are these people just strait out wrong or they confusing over consumption with eating according to your needs?
summerwave

fructose revisited

Post by summerwave »

johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

wow, thanks doing the search for me, these are great posts
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

What I am understanding it that it is a amount of energy issue.

If I ate a bit too much with something containing glucose the extra would go into my glycogen, but if I eat too much fructose would the extra calories go straight to fat?

I'm a little conserned because like most of you I dont eat 20 meals aday. I usually have a high fat fruit smoothie as a meal, then wont eat for several hours, then a smilar meal. Some of my meals are no sugar like sashimi with yolk, or raw beef.

I am not gaining wieght and am very lean, is this any indicator that I'm not having insulin problems?
summerwave

energy

Post by summerwave »

Do you sip juice in between those meals?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

sometimes I sip OJ with OO, but not always

I'm getting info that is telling me that fructose always is converted to triglycerides. Is this true and if so is it bad? I've read that high triglycerides are harmful, but I don't know if this is true and if fructose has this effect on the metabolism.

here is something I am being told, any comments would be appreciated

----
1. Your body burns fat and stores fat every day. It's not a slow, one-or-the-other process, but a dynamic back-and-forth equilibrium. So even though fructose is all converted to triglycerides, your body can still use some of it for energy.

2. When the liver processes fructose, it also creates glucose. The glucose doesn't come from the fructose, but production of it is stimulated by fructose.

But yes, literally and simply, the body can do nothing with fructose but turn it to fat (triglycerides).
----

is this accurate?
summerwave

fructose revisited

Post by summerwave »

I don't know; we shall have to wait for RRM and/or Oscar to weigh in.

For several years, since I had digestive problems, I have eaten exclusively fructose and glucose as sugars. I never eat starches, sucrose, or other complex sugars.

Neither fructose nor glucose have to be broken down in the intestine. They are monosaccharides. First I began using these two as my only "added sugars." (even including honey, which has to me a "perfect' mix of 50% fructose and 50% glucose). Eventually I limited myself only to those fruits, too, that internally, in their makeup, are virtually 100% fructose and glucose, with almost no sucrose. These include cherries, kiwifruit, guava, grapes, and others.

I am very slim; have perfectly normal bloodwork for triglycerides and cholesterol, even within "conventional" medical boundaries. I eat an enormous amount of fructose daily, as I am eating no sucrose and the fruits I have chosen to limit myself too are only fructose and glucose.

And because these require absolutely no intestinal involvement in breakdown of the sugars, they are absolutely easy on the body. I have taken the "no-fiber" dictum one step farther, out of necessity: much of what I eat makes absolutely no demand on the intestine.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As far as I know, fructose can either be converted to glucose or converted to fatty acids. So the answer is: no. ;)