Washing fruits?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
bbdave
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Washing fruits?

Post by bbdave »

I was wondering if anyone uses a "fruit wash" to clean their fruits before eating. Normally I peel the skin (apples), but I need to use the fruit wash to clean strawberries since I can't really peel them.

Here is an example of a fruit wash: http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Vegetable-Soa ... 248&sr=8-1
In the Midwest (USA), I buy them at Giant Eagle. The brand is called "Fit" and here is what they claim:
* 100% Natural
* Removes 98% more pesticides, waxes, people-handling residues and other contaminants vs. washing with water alone
* Only fruit & vegetable wash certified kosher and vegan
* Rinses away completely leaving no aftertaste or smell

Note: the 98% could mean nothing. If you get rid of 1% of pesticides with water, then you get rid of maybe 2% with this stuff.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont use it; i just wash my strawberries.
Do you know what ingredients this wash contains?
Of course its best to peel all fruits, as most anti-nutrients are also in the peel,
and they cannot be washed off.
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

Here is a link to the FAQ on there site:

http://www.fitwash.com/atHome/aboutFit/FAQs/

The ingredients: Purified water, oleic acid and glycerol (from vegetable sources), ethyl alcohol (from corn), potassium hydrate (from basic minerals), baking soda (from basic minerals), citric acid (from corn starch and molasses), and distilled grapefruit oil.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If I eat strawberries I've bought them organic, so I don't wash them at all.
summerwave

wash

Post by summerwave »

50% vinegar/50% water removes almost any residues. It is cheap and effective.
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

wow, I did some web research and that vinegar/water combo seems like the cure all. I will try that from now on!
summerwave

vinegar

Post by summerwave »

Yes; I buy huge containers of white vinegar at bulk costs and use a lot but it is still cheap, I think! And it removes almost anything one can think of that would ever be a problem.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Good to know!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Vinegar is effective against Cyclospora cayetanensis.
Its a water-born parasite that occasionally contaminates strawberries and raspberries.
It may cause up to 40 days of diarrhea, headaches, fatigue, cramps and loss of appetite.
Its regarded as travellers diarrhea because once your defense is trained to fight it, this parasite cant do any harm.
summerwave

vinegar

Post by summerwave »

Watch your tooth enamel (it imparts a slightly vinegary flavor and actual infusion of acidity); however I think it's the best solution, literally.

Takes off nearly any residue you can think of.

However, I still peel a lot of fruits anyway, rather than use this wash. But for berries that are really unpeelable, it's remarkable.

I think there are some recipes in which chefs macerate strawberries in balsamic vinegar anyway (then add sugar and other ingredients), right?

So maybe it is elegant!
dandate2

Re: Washing fruits?

Post by dandate2 »

how exactly should i wash them with water/vinegar? do i say soak the apple in the solution or is it a scrubbing by hand motion
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

like washing your hands without soap?
abicahsoul

washing fruits

Post by abicahsoul »

I have been wondering. I don't think vinegar cleans off the pesticides? It basically takes care of germs I think? I haven't heard that acid is a solvent for pesticides? Is it?
I use wash-up liquid. Best to use eco friendly/organic, and preferrably not scented. In some countries they have special fruit/veggie cleaner, we don't. I mailed our equivalent of FDA, and after some hesitation they agreed that wash-up liquid was ok for fruit with a real 'skin' (not for strawberries or raspberries which don't have a defined skin). And provided that you make sure to wash them afterwards very very very veeeery carefully. The body does not appreciate wash-up liquid. And noooo- don't try any harsh detergent.. only what you would use to was up your dishes that you normally eat from... But of course I should say that in 100% Wai you don't eat the peels, and even remove them before juicing. However, cough, I am not always so catholic on that point... :p
Aytundra

Washing pesticides off oranges: thiabendazole, Imazalil

Post by Aytundra »

Washing pesticides off oranges: thiabendazole, Imazalil
I came across this article:
Kruve A. et al., 2007 wrote:Washing with cold water is the least effective method of washing.
Washing with soap and in ultrasonic bath decrease the concentration twice.
Hot water and dishwashing soap are able to totally remove thiabendazole residues from the orange peel.

For imazalil the situation is not so straightforward.
None of the methods used was able to remove imazalil totally.
Washing with cold and hot water decreased the concentration by about one third, but using soap was ineffective.
From all the used methods, washing in ultrasonic bath was the most effective in removing imazalil.

Kruve A. et al., 2007. Pesticide residues in commercially available oranges and evaluation of potential washing methods Proc. Estonian Acad. Sci. Chem., 56, 3, 134–141 http://www.kirj.ee/public/Chem/2007/iss ... 07-3-3.pdf
So, I think I would wash my oranges like this:
hot water or dish detergent to wash off thiabendazole.
ultrasonic bath or hot water to wash off imazalil.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

experiment: "What is the best way to wash and clean fruits and vegetables?"
http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/w ... vegetables