tomato and cucumber

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

tomato and cucumber

Post by fred »

I don't see the point to eat all year tomatoes and cucumbers (except for the taste of course). They are essentially water and fibers, and contain almost no calories. Out of season, when they grow out of the ground in greenhouse, they 're should be not much nutrients left. Tomatoes are solanacea and contain some toxic substances that can be problematic for some sensitive people.

I only eat tomatoes/cucumbers in season and in small quantity. Is-it a OK?
Iris

Post by Iris »

Sure, totally
RRM
Administrator

Re: tomato and cucumber

Post by RRM »

fred wrote: They are essentially water and fibers, and contain almost no calories.
Tomatoes are high in vitamin E, and indeed contain as little calories as strawberries,
and more than papaya.
And, yes, ripe tomatoes are delicious.
Tomatoes are solanacea and contain some toxic substances that can be problematic for some sensitive people.
Yes, unripe tomatoes contain toxic substances (the green part),
but not when completely and fully ripened.
And its something that you can taste clearly.
As a matter of fact, all unripe fruits contain some sort of antinutrients / mild toxins...
overkees

Post by overkees »

So, I started eating organic sun dried gold and red cherry tomatoes that are very sweet and ripe. They are packed with nutrients, but low on energy.

Approx. 50g dried cherry tomatoes is about 1kg of normal cherry tomatoes.

Now is my question: Is it okay to eat up to 100g of these a day? What about lectins? What about serotonin in tomatoes? Does drying and properly ripening these tomatoes help reducing these?

Im very interested, after my 4 avocadoes a day journey that was causing tremendous stress and nervousness on my body after only 2 weeks, to maximize nutrients from plant sources at a low cost. Prefereably organic. Like oranges.

If I meet my nutrient needs Id like to experiment with adding fructose and glucose to my OJ + coconut oil. And see what it does.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:organic sun dried gold and red cherry tomatoes ... Is it okay to eat up to 100g of these a day?
Sure, if they are well tolerated by your body. Make sure not to eat them before they are really fully ripe.
How do you know that the dried ones are from very ripe tomatoes?
What about lectins?
The more ripe, the less lectins.
What about serotonin in tomatoes?
Tomatoes contain reatively little serotonin.
Serotonin in fruits, in mg/100g.
7.7 banana
2.0 pineapple
1.5 papaya
1.3 figs
1.2 tomato
1.0 avocado

Some people (initially) have too low levels of enzymes available for their digestion, which may cause headaches.
If bananas dont give you problems, the serotonin in tomatoes will not either.
Dietary serotonin (unlike its precursor, tryptophan) does not pass the blood-brain barrier.
Does drying and properly ripening these tomatoes help reducing these?
Probably, as drying fruits evokes formation of Amadori compounds, which readily incorporate free amines and free amino acids.