Avoiding moldy oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
djkvan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Avoiding moldy oranges

Post by djkvan »

I buy wholesale oranges. The three cases I buy at one time (about 140Lbs) last me nine days. After bringing them home I find it helpful to pour them out of their cases and spread them out on the floor so that they can breathe as they come to room temperature. It generally takes better than half a day for all those oranges to warm up from the effects of warehouse cooler storage, and during this time any moisture in the air will condense on their cool surfaces. This is why I find it helpful to spread them out like this. Spreading them out allows any surface moisture that the oranges accumulate while warming up to evaporate without becoming trapped and encouraging mold growth. From time to time as they are warming up I will shift their positions simply by rolling them around a bit to allow moisture on their undersides to evaporate as well. After buying my first round of oranges and seemingly fighting with moldy oranges every day, I've certainly learned my lesson. I hope that others may find this technique helpful if they haven't thought of it already. :)
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Avoiding moldy oranges

Post by RRM »

Exactly.
From time to time i inspect all the oranges by putting them one by one in another krate.
In the summer i keep them outside, to avoid fruit flies in my house,
and to let them dry in the sun.
djkvan

Re: Avoiding moldy oranges

Post by djkvan »

;D
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.