overripe fruit

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

I came to ask if it's ok to drink fruit juice that's gone off - I might as well post it in this thread.

If it ferments isn't that like drinking wine? And if you leave it longer it's vinegar? Is that ok to use?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

:D :lol:
@ Oscar!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Oscar wrote:I'm Oscar, and I drink overripe orange juice... ;)
nick wrote:me too!
Hmmm, I thought you were Nick...? ;)

I don't think we (want to) leave it out that long, Cairidh. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cairidh wrote:If it ferments isn't that like drinking wine? And if you leave it longer it's vinegar? Is that ok to use?
Trust your taste. If the juice has fermented too much, it simply tastes bad (a bit similar to a combination of wine and vinegar indeed).
As long as your taste says that its okay, it probably is.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

I hate the taste of wine, love the taste of vinegar....awkward, me? never.
Mr. PC

Re: overripe fruit

Post by Mr. PC »

I just bought a bunch of over-ripe avocados from the discount shelf, and blended them with a little OJ. They taste like crap, so I'm assuming it's not ideal, but I'm wondering if they are bad enough that I'm better off not drinking it or not. I'll have drank this before I get a reply but I'm asking mainly for the long term; I often my reduced-overripe fruits. So what is the downside to this, and is it worse than eating vegetables?

I'll often be out for days with my 1.89L of commercial juice and sugar / olive oil. It'll taste bad after sitting in a warm room all night, but not really that bad. I'm not really worried about the taste but how important health-wise is it to avoid this situation? I've always assumed germs were the only fear and having a strong immune system negated that.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I just bought a bunch of over-ripe avocados from the discount shelf, and blended them with a little OJ.
Yuk!
The best avocadoes cannot make that taste good, imo.
why dont you taste the avocadoes just the way they are?
I'm asking mainly for the long term; I often my reduced-overripe fruits. So what is the downside to this, and is it worse than eating vegetables?
that depends on how overripe they are.
Overripe bananas are perfectly fine, but avocadoes contain quite some fat,
so that eating overripe avocadoes is not a good idea.
I'll often be out for days with my 1.89L of commercial juice and sugar / olive oil. It'll taste bad after sitting in a warm room all night, but not really that bad.
Im guessing its not that bad.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I am not sure, but since juice has a tendency to ferment (or brew, and I guess, grow some yeast/alcohol?) it is not so great to leave it out too long in warm temperature.. I noticed that after a day it starts to taste somewhat 'fermented'... I¨m not sure if that's great for the body.. ? But ok, maybe mostly bad if you have digestive issues?

Overripe avos taste like the oils in the avo has gone all rancid.. and I guess it has.. so, it sounds like a bad idea? But again it is perhaps not half as bad as some other things..;)
Those are only conjectures on my behalf thou. :)
Hope you can get hold of some nice ripe discount/reduced price stuff instead!
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

No, they don't reduce things here until they're basically inedible. Most of the time even I won't eat the stuff in the discount section (except bananas.)
The avocado OJ isn't really that bad; I prefer it to the olive oil OJ, although it does end up either brown or green. People always make fun of my green 'concoctions', and when they find out it's OJ concentrate, OO, avocados, water, and sugar, they usually are pretty shocked.

I love avocados with sugar or sometimes syrup on them, but when they've gone bad I find I can't stomach them unless they're blended. I actually gag even from touching a bad avocado in the store (I really wish they would reduce them before that happens, I see avocados being wasted in mass quantities on a regular basis.)
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

:( Yeah, that's too bad. Why wait till they go bad.
I understand that you like avo with something sweet. I like to make salads of avo with either muskmelon/honey dew/galia and cucumber, or avo with nectarine or peach. Before Wai I would have had some leaf of lettuce or baby spinach too.. However I think Wai doesn't recommend mixing avos with fruit generally (at least as a precaution to those with sensitive stomachs... ;) That said, when it doesn't hurt you I guess it is all okey. :D )
Do you live in an area where there are no fruit grown naturally? Or in a city where there aren't any fruit orchards within miles? Hm, it sounds very annoying to not be able to get fresh fruit at a reasonable price. Trying to find a way to buy bulk (of kinds of fruit that can stand sitting in your home about a week) sounds like the only option. That would mean doing some research. Perhaps you will get lucky? ;)
Iris

Post by Iris »

@ Mr PC:
It's very simple; don't eat anything that tastes bad to you.