Worm in banana

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Worm in banana

Post by Kookaburra »

I just ate two bananas that were slimy and full of bubbles. I found a few small white worms in them too. Their peels had portion of the bananas exposed, which I think were caused by the pickers accidentally. Anyway the fruits were very yellow and soft. Guess what? They both tasted sweet!

I am thinking of deliberately removing part of the peel in future. Do you think it is a good idea? Is oxidation a good or bad thing? This is what I think happened to that two bananas - Oxidation sped up the riping and fermentation process. Am I correct?
Kookaburra

Re: Climacteric/Non-Climacteric Fruit

Post by Kookaburra »

The worm looks something like this -

Is it harmful?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Worm in banana

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:I found a few small white worms in them too. Their peels had portion of the bananas exposed
Yuk :shock: , but then again, that just because im not used to eating worms / insects.
As most worms, banana worms are harmless.
It seems there even are banana worm bread recipes.
To culture your own banana worms (to feed fish, for example)
http://www.worm-cultures.com/bananaworminformation.htm
To culture Banana Worms you need; oatmeal, water, yeast,
a small piece of ripe banana (not critical) and a small tightly covered dish like an ice cream container.
For quick results you can use more starter culture but I have found one good teaspoon of starter is all you need,
as it will be ready to feed from in 4 days. If you double the amount of starter you have them ready to feed in 2 days.

To make, mix the oatmeal with water and the mashed ripe banana until it makes a medium thick bowl of oatmeal mixture,
then add a light sprinkling of yeast.

These Worms like it dark but can stand living in lighted areas. I have them on an open shelf but keep them out of direct light.
First thing in the morning there will be more worms than during the rest of the day but I always get enough to feed 4 times a day.
Warmer temperatures can also speed them up when needed.

The room temperature canbe up to about 85oF, and the worms will live up to 35 days,
whilst producing 60 or so young each from the 4th day on.
There will ALWAYS be enough Worms on hand for all the fry you can produce.
Literally within days of starting your cultures with our starter culture you will see the surface
of your own cultures shimmering with millions and millions of Banana Worms.
I am thinking of deliberately removing part of the peel in future. Do you think it is a good idea?
No, because the peel is protective.
Speeding up decay (or ripening) is never a good idea.
Is oxidation a good or bad thing?
Oxidation speeds up decay, indeed.
panacea

Post by panacea »

There's insects in tons of stuff non wai dieters eat, so before you were a wai dieter, rest assured you ingested plenty of far grosser insects, maybe not whole, but you did :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Extra protein ;D
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I just ate a banana that had 15+ small worms in it. I hope nothing bad happens to me!

What if there are worm feces/eggs in the banana? Cause for concern?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Keep us posted :)
panacea

Post by panacea »

I've always wondered, is it okay to eat bruised parts of bananas? Are they decayed so much to have anti nutrient properties?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Decay does not originate anti nutrients; just the fermentation of nutrients,
starting with simple oxidation (brown parts) and the degradation of larger sugars (starch) into smaller ones (glucose).
Sure, its okay to eat the bruised parts.