Too many bananas?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
CSIV
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Too many bananas?

Post by CSIV »

I've been playing around with the nutrient calculator and discovered that eating one banana every half hour fulfills my energy needs for a day (of course depending on level of activity). This also provides a decent amount of protein (somewhat surprising to me).

Now, I'm not planning on only eating bananas, but I am considering eating a fair amount more since they are relatively inexpensive as far as money:energy is concerned. I'd like to go back on wai 100% and eating more bananas may be the answer to the financial issue I have right now.
My only concern is if there is any danger in eating too many bananas.

The plan now is to eat about 9 bananas a day. Is that safe?

What about 32 just out of curiosity? :D

Thanks for input guys! :)
Iris

Re: How many bananas would be too many?

Post by Iris »

9 is safe for sure. I think 32 wouldn't be a problem too. But you'll probably get tired of them over time and get strong cravings for other fruits. When that happens it's better you start seeking an alternative, because it's your body telling you it needs something different (too).
abicahsoul

Re: How many bananas would be too many?

Post by abicahsoul »

Biggest problem I notice with bananas are that they don't have enough moisture.. A few bananas a day is fine, but then I want some juicy fruits and OJ. But sure eat more bananas, but combine with other things as much as you can afford? (Yeah, too many bananas, would make me hate bananas also lol..:D )
RRM
Administrator

Re: Too many bananas?

Post by RRM »

CSIV wrote: My only concern is if there is any danger in eating too many bananas.
No, not at all.
What about 32 just out of curiosity? :D
Sure, no problem.
but as said, at a certain point you get fed up with eating bananas only,
and yes, you probably get thirsty! :)
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to be eating some bananas then :D

Post by 398669 »

Hi csiv, I'm brand new to this board and I am looking into the fruit diet myself. The daily requirment for potassium is about 4 grams and one banana has about 2 grams so it seemes to me that 9 would be too much. Don't forget that NOT fully ripened bananas are constipating so make sure the peel is yellow with some brown spots. Hope this helps,
Pat

[EDIT] The issue about the calcium / magnesium / potassium ratio has been split off.[/EDIT]
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Hi Pat, welcome!
398669 wrote:The daily requirment for potassium is about 4 grams
There are no official potassium RDAs.
The question of what is the optimal intake of potassium is debated.
Yes, in 2004 the Institute of Medicine recommended 4 g daily, but Americans on average consume about 2 g daily,
which would make them formally deficient, and equally so, european intake is commonly officially insufficient,
and yet clear cases of potassium deficiency are rare.
Why?
The uptake ratio of minerals and trace elements is not fixed, but is adjusted in response to availability.
The uptake ratio of calcium, for example, may vary from 8 to 80%.
This means that if you consume a lot of potassium, your uptake ratio will be much lower compared to when consuming little potassium.
Potassium is essential in all living cells, and therefore all plants / animals contain it.
Particularly plant cells are high in potassium, and especially fruits.
and one banana has about 2 grams
1 small banana contains about 400 mg potassium
1 medium banana contains about 460 mg potassium
1 large banana contains about 540 mg potassium
so it seemes to me that 9 would be too much.
No, one can safely consume dozens of bananas daily, though im pretty sure your appetite for bananas will diminish
As far as i know, there are no known cases of potassium overload.
Of course, this is not at all true for all minerals / trace elements.
dime

Post by dime »

Check out this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevivqR9Yzk , just notice how many bananas a day he eats (I think it's around 70). He has some video where he talks about his blood tests, which show that potassium levels and all the rest are fine. He's a pro cyclist and obviously needs all that sugar, and probably along with the higher energy needs you might have some higher potassium needs, but still I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Post by 398669 »

Hi RRM and dime,
I got the 2G from waisays.com but no other source has such a large #. That guy that eats 70 must have a very dry mouth.
I stand corrected.
Pat
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

398669 wrote: I got the 2G from waisays.com
Yes, but that 2 grams is per 500 gram banana.
http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-items2.html