pasturized orange juice

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
waipete
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

pasturized orange juice

Post by waipete »

Well I'm in a bit of a financial scare and the prices of oranges keep going up used to be 3.60CAD for 5lbs of oranges, which is now 4.50CAD for 4lbs of oranges. I find 1 4lb bag makes about 1litre of OJ, but Tropicana juice gives me about 1.75 litres of OJ for 4-5CAD. I'm wondering besides anything else this is where my diet becomes non 100%, I been on this diet for 4 days and breakouts are minimum.

what can you tell me about pasteurized orange juice?
panacea

Re: pasturized orange juice

Post by panacea »

That's insane. USD and CAD are practically equal and I can get 1.75L OJ for 2.88 USD here.

To get 4lbs of oranges it costs me about 7.00 USD, and it doesn't even make a litre

Since I end up drinking 3.5 liter a day, the pasteurized is just way more cost effective. I would also like to know some things about pasteurized. 1. What exactly is the pasteurization process and does this mean the OJ is heated a lot or a little? Are preservatives added, etc?
waipete

Post by waipete »

panacea wrote:That's insane. USD and CAD are practically equal and I can get 1.75L OJ for 2.88 USD here.

To get 4lbs of oranges it costs me about 7.00 USD, and it doesn't even make a litre

Since I end up drinking 3.5 liter a day, the pasteurized is just way more cost effective. I would also like to know some things about pasteurized. 1. What exactly is the pasteurization process and does this mean the OJ is heated a lot or a little? Are preservatives added, etc?
You're probably right about the 4lbs not making a litre I only made freshly squeezed juice twice, I wasn't sure how much made what. The prices for oranges are insane over there, here it's 4.30 for 4lbs of oranges at our cheapest supermarket but about 5.50 at the more expensive supermarkets. Tropicana I have seen it as low as 3.50CAD, but only yesterday I was shocked to see it for 5$.

I looked down a few topics and I found this one viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1905
RRM wrote:
Iris wrote:since I'm not susceptible to acne, it wouldn't be a big problem to make it a part of my diet for a few days. Am I right?
Yes.
Or is such juice always stripped from nutrient
No, its nutrient make up is ok.
RRM says yes its ok for a couple days, but is it ok to be a forever change to your diet?

Also I been using tropicana and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my skin what so ever, and I find myself to be very acne prone.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Well it is heated, and most of the time they pasteurize it at 60 degrees. So the proteins don't get too much converted in bad ones. This happens above 80 and most of the time even above 100 degrees i guess. The vitamins are pretty much contained. There is a bit less vitamin C than on 100 percent wai.

Cant do much harm. The only thing you need to worry about is the long term. Because there is more fluoride and other dangerous trace elements in higher quantities because they use more pulp closer to the skin. So it will contain more pesticide residue.
waipete

Post by waipete »

overkees wrote:Well it is heated, and most of the time they pasteurize it at 60 degrees. So the proteins don't get too much converted in bad ones. This happens above 80 and most of the time even above 100 degrees i guess. The vitamins are pretty much contained. There is a bit less vitamin C than on 100 percent wai.

Cant do much harm. The only thing you need to worry about is the long term. Because there is more fluoride and other dangerous trace elements in higher quantities because they use more pulp closer to the skin. So it will contain more pesticide residue.
Thank you.

I buy the tropicana pure premium which I read has no additives and preservatives, also the one with no pulp to avoid the fiber (pulp adds fibre?). It seems I would be avoiding further residue with this decision, but another question has arisen. Is the pulp good for you?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:... the proteins don't get too much converted in bad ones.
Yes, and it contains little protein,
but if one is susceptible to acne, it can still cause acne though.
There is a bit less vitamin C than on 100 percent wai.
which is not a problem at all, of course,
as this diet is loaded with vitamin C.
.. they use more pulp closer to the skin. So it will contain more pesticide residue.
Exactly, and also more anti nutrients.
waipete wrote: ...the one with no pulp to avoid the fiber (pulp adds fibre?)
Yes, you dont need the fiber / pulp.
Is the pulp good for you?
Pulp is mainly fiber. You dont need fiber; its not a nutrient.
It does lead to bacterial decomposition of some of the fiber, causing gas.
waipete

Post by waipete »

Pulp is mainly fiber. You dont need fiber; its not a nutrient.
It does lead to bacterial decomposition of some of the fiber, causing gas.
so all this daily fibre talk is a fad? or does it help in constipation but constipation doesn't happen on this diet?
overkees

Post by overkees »

fiber can't be digested, or only partially by bacteria. As they aren't digested it hurts your insides, so they renew and make new cells. To stimulate us to have a shit. In fact alot of our feces is made of our old cells.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

But yes, when one is constipated by sedatives, the stimulation of fiber that the body wants to get rid of is working against that.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Discovery!

There is pulp even in Tropicana no-pulp OJ. Perhaps this explains the minor gas (mild odour) that I experienced on my first two days back on Wai (WWD version). I caught this detail last night half-way through my evening meal when I found pulp deposited on the sides of my OJ glass. Caught me totally off guard given the container is labelled "no pulp" (tricky, eh?). Filtering it out with a sieve yielded quite a surprising amount of pulp. I am interested to see if this knowledge and subsequent adjustment will make a difference today.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Im sure that sieving out the pulp will reduce gas.
Fiber yields gas (bacterial decomposition instead of enzymatic decomposition).
Interesting, indeed: "No-pulp" containing pulp...
Does the label really say: "no pulp", or does it say "reduced pulp"?
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Label says no pulp.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.