Slow juicing; should we remove pith/pulp?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Slow juicing; should we remove pith/pulp?

Post by panacea »

Some people in the juicing industry claim that the pith of oranges are the most nutritious part -
is this true?
by pith i don't mean the peel, or even super close to the peel, just the 'white' strings on the outside of the orange slices

Also, with juicers like the hurom slow juicer or omega vrt 330, I'm told that the juice still has a lot of pulp - any methods to remove this without losing a lot of juice like you do with typical strainer mesh tools?
panacea

Re: Juicing with slow juicer, pith/pulp removal or is it goo

Post by panacea »

also should we take the seeds out of things like cantaloupe or cherrys before juicing, or let the masticating slow juicer press the juice out of the seeds (is there too many anti nutrients?)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

panacea wrote:Some people in the juicing industry claim that the pith of oranges are the most nutritious part -
is this true?
by pith i don't mean the peel, or even super close to the peel, just the 'white' strings on the outside of the orange slices
Why? Is the claim substantiated?
zackcentury

Post by zackcentury »

Perhaps it's hesperidin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperidin

I would imagine we get just as much of this as we need by eating or juicing citrus as normal. It has no calories, and by weight it is <1% of an orange, so why worry about it? We will probably lack calories before (like protein) we lack phytonutrients on the Wai diet.

It appears that this nutrient can have helpful, druglike effects when given to sick rodents, and so it might have benefits for sick humans. But I might argue against its being the "most nutritious" part of an orange, especially for healthy people.
bananarama
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote:Some people in the juicing industry claim that the pith of oranges are the most nutritious part -
That claim is very, very old.
I never saw it substantiated by scientific findings.
Maybe some (cheap) mother started telling this to her children, who naturally hated the bitter tasting pith.
Equally so, we have been told for decades that most nutrients are in the peel (of apples etc).
which has never been backed up properly either.
panacea wrote:with juicers like the hurom slow juicer or omega vrt 330, I'm told that the juice still has a lot of pulp - any methods to remove this without losing a lot of juice like you do with typical strainer mesh tools?
That depends on what you juice.
When juicing apples, for example, there is hardly any fiber in the juice.
When juicing bananas, there is much more.
panacea wrote:also should we take the seeds out of things like cantaloupe or cherrys before juicing, or let the masticating slow juicer press the juice out of the seeds (is there too many anti nutrients?)
Yes, always remove all seeds, as the seeds are not meant to be digested by us; they are meant to survive digestion.
The bitter taste is telling; too much anti-nutrients indeed.
zackcentury wrote:Perhaps it's hesperidin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperidin
It appears that this nutrient can have helpful, druglike effects when given to sick rodents, and so it might have benefits for sick humans. But I might argue against its being the "most nutritious" part of an orange, especially for healthy people.
Yes, because its actually not a nutrient, but an anti-nutrient.
panacea

Re: Slow juicing; should we remove pith/pulp?

Post by panacea »

if seeds won't get digested by us anyway what is the harm in ingesting them?
overkees

Post by overkees »

Because you cut them, then some of the stuff bleeds out in your belly and you will absorb antinutrients. It's unnecessary material!
dime

Post by dime »

And it messes up digestion of nutrients.
zackcentury

Post by zackcentury »

bananarama
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:lol:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

;D