Giving it up for pasteurized fruit concentrates/pulps/juices

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
mario91
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Giving it up for pasteurized fruit concentrates/pulps/juices

Post by mario91 »

I got particularly upset the last time I bought a bulk of bananas, 25kg for 25€. I buy this much, cause I have little time and I buy it by online service, so the more they bring me in one time, the less times I have to order and to pay the delivery cost. I always do this and always eat the fruit on time, it never spoils. So why I got upset? Well, sometimes the bananas taste a bit like shit, but yeah I can eat them. But this time was too much - they tasted like freaking soap. I even tried to peel them with napkins, not touching the pulp (in order not to ingest any pesticides attached to the outside) - same soap taste. I had to throw 25€ of food away.

Plus the costs of buying fresh fruits. Plus the work it gives to peel them. And, most importantly, at least here in Portugal, I think they're all very low quality. At least the ones I can afford.
I'm done with fresh fruits. I strongly don't advise anyone to do this, as it's for sure much unhealthier, but for me, the hell with it. After have started drinking pasteurized juice from concentrate, I've also started buying fruit pulps and concentrates. They have no added preservatives, and don't make me feel "sick", as all cooked foods do. They're pasteurized at low temperatures (I guess), so they shouldn't be much unhealthy. And they're fruit - what we're made to eat. Not grains, milk, etc. No doubt about it.

I don't plan to do this forever, in fact I miss good quality fresh fruit already, and again I strongly advise everyone not to do this, but for economical and time reasons I have to...!

Just sharing my experiences...
dime

Re: Giving it up for pasteurized fruit concentrates/pulps/ju

Post by dime »

I gave up on bananas some time ago too, they always seem to constipate me no matter how rippen/expensive/bio.
Too bad, as in my opinion they are the best fruit overall, nutritious, low acid, rippens well, etc.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:I gave up on bananas some time ago too, they always seem to constipate me
Its most likely due to the amount of fiber they contain.
This may seem contradictive, as fiber is bowel-stimulating, but it may not be so at all.
Fiber is 'bowel-stimulating' because its mostly of no use to your bowels, meaning that your bowels just want to get rid of it.
And that means that the more fiber you eat, the more faeces your bowels will 'produce'.
But if the 'deportation rate' is not increased accordingly, the bowels will get more and more stuffed,
as in constipation.
It may just mean that your bowels cannot cope with the amount of fiber so well.
You have a Versapers, right?
Please try consuming only juiced bananas (using the 'finest' sieve)
mario91

Post by mario91 »

dime wrote:I gave up on bananas some time ago too, they always seem to constipate me no matter how rippen/expensive/bio.
Too bad, as in my opinion they are the best fruit overall, nutritious, low acid, rippens well, etc.
That's also my opinion, and for more they are the cheapest, since they have much less water (and therefore more calories) than other fruits, and are always 1€/kilo here! And even more: easy to peel, practical to transport.

But I can no longer eat these soap tasting bananas. I've been in Azores for a few months, and the local bananas were so, so good... I could get them in the supermarkets for about 1€/kilo also. This makes me think how loaded with chemicals these big-company bananas must be, to taste like this... It makes me wanna go back to where I bought them, and tell them to shove them up their asses! The same with most of all the other (affordable fruits): oranges and pinneaples super-acidic, apples/pears/grapes that seem like they've been soaking in pesticide solution... and the rest is just to expensive to supply a fruit diet. Only in the summer you start getting some cheap melons and watermelons, some cheaps plums, strawberries, tomatoes... till then it's hell.
overkees

Post by overkees »

I buy excellent quality oranges, not online in bulk but by discounts in the stores, yes this is time consuming, but hey better than eating tons of acidic oranges.

I don't eat normal bananas anymore, let them fully ripen and juice them with the versapers. This tastes like heaven. Bananas don't have a lot of pesticides on m plus they have a thick peel, they are really safe. The problem could be some of the pesticides that gets absorbed via the ground water, like with watermelons. Trees have a better filtration system. But still in the lists bananas are virtually free of pesticides.

I have alot of troubles with apples. I can't eat more than 2 supermarket apples or pears. I just get sick. Im never buying them ever again.

Pineapples can ripe perfectly fine, just buy orange ones and let them ripe until they begin to rot. If the molds starts developping it's time to consume them. There are very little pesticides used on m, I love m. They don't contain alot of nutrients compared to oranges or bananas though.

But mario, what might be a really good alternative to oranges is kiwis? They can ripen pretty good and have a nutrient profile like oranges. They even contain more quality protein than oranges. You need them go soft completely to ripen. But I eat them alot nowadays. Mixed with bananas in the slow juicer, excellent.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

overkees wrote:I buy excellent quality oranges, not online in bulk but by discounts in the stores, yes this is time consuming, but hey better than eating tons of acidic oranges.
The ones I buy are somehow good quality. Only sometimes acidic. But yeah, time is the very problem for me, specially on juicing them.

Ok I might believe bananas have little pesticides, so it must be other chemicals. Artificial rippeners or something. Any kind of crop manipulation. I don't know. All I know is it tastes like starchy soap and I'm never buying it again.

I very rarely find those orange pinnaples here. Plus they get expensive, cause most of it is peel and kernel. And very watery. And they all burn my tongue, even the juice.
Kiwis are good yeah, I eat them regularly. But they never get ripe enought (they can last like months!). And I don't like the taste very much.

All this leads me to think that whoever produces this industrial fruit believes that people are gonna eat like 3 pieces a day, so they can screw it as they like. I can no longer stand a fruit diet of such low quality, little choice fruits. Pulps and concentrates, and juices from concentrate, don't seem much unhealthy to me, also don't feel so (till now), much less expensive, much less time consuming, much less complicated in general. And much tastier. I'm definitely gonna be experimentating with them for a while ;)
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Ok, I finally got sick after 1-2 months of drinking loads of store bought juice...
I feel worse physically. Not bad, but not nearly as good as before.
I think it's probably due to lack of vitamins and enzymes, that get destroyed in large percentages with the heating process of obtaining the fruit concentrates.
I found another strategy - my dad has a Makro card, so I'm gonna start buying my fruit there in bulks... hope I can get more variety and better prices...!
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I started my diet on pasteurized juices, and I strongly regret that decision. It wore my teeth down and gave me stomach pains. It was insanely convenient, cheap, and portable. But I would never consider turning back since I started making my own juice.

Also, it's very difficult to get the OO to emulsify in store bought juice.

I've also read that, even the expensive not from concentrate juices, are stored for up to a year, de-airated - losing all flavour and vitamins, then have a chemical made from a perfume company added in, giving it back its taste and smell. The companies don't have to list these extra ingridient because we live in a corporatocracy.

I don't trust anything made from a corporation, and will only now eat hold foods, or foods I prepare myself.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Mr. PC wrote:I started my diet on pasteurized juices, and I strongly regret that decision. It wore my teeth down and gave me stomach pains. It was insanely convenient, cheap, and portable. But I would never consider turning back since I started making my own juice.

Also, it's very difficult to get the OO to emulsify in store bought juice.

I've also read that, even the expensive not from concentrate juices, are stored for up to a year, de-airated - losing all flavour and vitamins, then have a chemical made from a perfume company added in, giving it back its taste and smell. The companies don't have to list these extra ingridient because we live in a corporatocracy.

I don't trust anything made from a corporation, and will only now eat hold foods, or foods I prepare myself.
I absolutely agree with everything.
About the de-aired juices, I think they only do that to not-from-concentrate juice. Which is much more expensive and in my opinion worse tasting than from concetrate. About that perfume ingredient, it pisses me off so much the fact that they don't have to list it!

And yeah, corporate food sucks big time...! .|. :D
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Btw, unfortunely I couldn't get to buy stuff in Makro, since my dad no longer has the card, but I'm back to real fruit... been eating whole fruits and nuts mostly... a bit more expensive, VERY time-consuming, but so worthful :)