Sample Diet Salads

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
tjfillion
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Basil, Parsley, and Chives questions

Post by tjfillion »

For salads, I know the strict diet allows chives. At first I interpretted this as the actual plant, but then at the store I saw "freeze dried" chives meant to "season salads." Are these ok? Does freezing them ruin them? They're definately more convenient than the fresh ones.

Also I remembered reading about Parsley and Basil being allowed. Do these have to be fresh also? I saw dried parsley flakes and basil leaves (their packages do not specify that they were freeze-dried). What do you guys think?

Thanks
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome on the forum. :)

The acne sample diet allows chives to enhance the taste, but they aren't on the strict diet. The same goes for basil and parsley, which also aren't on the (strict) diet. This only allows for (dried) fruits, raw fish, olive oil, nuts, and egg yolks.

I'm not sure if the freezing will do a lot of harm in this case. The protein/fat content should be pretty low, so probably not too harmful.
zenibee

Olive oil with the salad...Do I have to???

Post by zenibee »

Just wondering if it's really necessary to add the OO to the avocado, tomato, cucumber salad. I don't like the taste. :x Won't the avocados be a significant amount of fat?
avo

Post by avo »

Well, you will need some kind of oil. Keep trying other brands, you may find one you like. Or try coconut oil, avocado oil, or some nut oil (macadamia, walnut, etc) as long as it is truly cold pressed.
twinee1

Post by twinee1 »

I too dislike the tase of OO. So why is it that we need an oil ? Avo's are a great fat source. In fact a raw avo, imo, is superior to an extracted oil.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

why do you need oil at all? I thought it was just for taste, on the salad. avocado, tomatoe, and cucumber wont raise your blood sugar too much , will it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

twinee1 wrote:I too dislike the tase of OO.
There are types of OO that are very light and tasteless.
I too dislike the more heavier-tasting types of OO, but I love the lightest ones.
The ones that taste best (IMO), are the ones that dont smell.
johndela1 wrote:why do you need oil at all? I thought it was just for taste, on the salad. avocado, tomatoe, and cucumber wont raise your blood sugar too much , will it?
True. If avocado is included in the salad, there is already fat in the salad.
However, if no avocado is included you need the oil, especially because we tend to eat quite a bit of the salad, and tomatoes and cucumber dont contain that little sugars.
Oil / fat just balances the salad perfectly.
avo

Post by avo »

I meant that you will need an oil in general. Whether it is used for salads, fruit or OJ, finding an oil you like is pretty important. Unless you eat nuts or avocado with every meal, you will need some way to counteract the sugars that you eat in each meal.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

I put my OO in my juice everyday and eat coconut oil straight out the jar or fresh avocados when I'm eating whole fruit. I just couldn't understand the need for oil if the avocados are there, especially when it makes everything taste like...oil! I will try to find a better tasting brand though. Thanks!
avo

Post by avo »

If you mix oil and distilled vinegar 50/50, the oil is nearly undetectable. Give that a try instead.

But, if you use enough avocado vs. tomato/cucumber, then you should be fine for that meal.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

I actually love oil and vinegar but I'm a little worried it may break me out. I think balsamic vinegrette does but regular vinegar should be fine I guess...If Wai Says. lol
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Regular clear vinegar definitely does not make you break out.
If herbs / salt are added, then yes.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Cilantro is so easy to grow. I planted some coriander and now have a fresh supply of this tasty herb.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Has anyone had complaints about bad breath from the chives,....was wondering this today?
Never tried Cilantro, will have to give it a go.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dionysus wrote:Has anyone had complaints about bad breath from the chives,....was wondering this today?
Yes, chives may cause so, as they are a bit onions-like.