Grape Juice

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Mia
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Grape Juice

Post by Mia »

Is it really safe to juice non-organic grapes in the slow juicer? Will the pesticides stay on the skin, or end up in the juice?
How can i know that for sure?

I have tried to search for information about this, but i havent found anything i feel i can trust...
Can i even be sure if i buy organic grapes? There is so much contradicting information out there :?

I am asking because my 18 month old daughter drinks 800ml / day of this juice.
She is doing really fine, I have tried many different juices for her, but none have worked so well as grape juice!
But i am worried that it will have longterm negative effects... and I am not willing to risk that!!

Would you let your child (or your self) drink non-organic grape juice?
dime

Re: Grape Juice

Post by dime »

Oh that doesn't sound good, because grapes are extremely difficult if not impossible to clean up from pesticides.
Try to wash them really well! But I'm not sure what could be used to wash them toroughly, maybe there's some trick.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Strong acid can dismantle the pesticides? Maybe a strong vinegar? I have heard that somewhere but I don't know the details.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Yes, maybe its not a good idea to drink grape juice everyday..
Even if the pesticides stay on the skin when juicing, or i find a way to wash them toroughly... the skin on the grapes is VERY thin,
the pesticides may already be in the grape. If so, it doesnt matter how much i wash or peel or anything...

But what about organic grapes, do you think they are safe?
The only problem is that they are sooo expensive. To make 800ml cost about 2500 SEK /month (~400 USD i think). And thats just 2/3 of my daughters juice..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:Oh that doesn't sound good, because grapes are extremely difficult if not impossible to clean up from pesticides.
We only need to minimize 'leakage' from the skin to the juice,
as in the Hurom / Versapers slow juicer, the skin does not end up in the juice.
Try to wash them really well! But I'm not sure what could be used to wash them toroughly, maybe there's some trick.
I only know about washing them with water, and with vinegar.
I do both, to make sure.
Mia wrote:Yes, maybe its not a good idea to drink grape juice everyday..
Even if the pesticides stay on the skin when juicing, or i find a way to wash them toroughly... the skin on the grapes is VERY thin,
the pesticides may already be in the grape. If so, it doesnt matter how much i wash or peel or anything...
True, the skin of grapes is very thin, and yes, some pesticides will end up in the grape,
but this is also true for vegetables and grains, where herbicides are used as well.
So, in that sense, its true for any diet.
At least, by using the Hurom /Versapers, the skin does not end up in the juice,
so there is a substantial decrease in pesticides,
and consuming the entire grape is approved for consumption.
Dont forget that its normal that baby food contains harmful substances.
Even baby foods contain acrylamide, heterocyclic amines and nitrate.
But what about organic grapes, do you think they are safe?
If its possible for you to buy organic grapes, i would definitely opt for that,
as that will be at least another substantial reduction is pesticides intake.
The only problem is that they are sooo expensive. To make 800ml cost about 2500 SEK /month (~400 USD i think). And thats just 2/3 of my daughters juice..
So, thats not practical.
How about juicing melons and mangoes?
Mandarins?
Apples?
Mia wrote:Would you let your child (or your self) drink non-organic grape juice?
Yes, i would, and i do.
My daughter loves it too.
Just make sure that you dont wash them right before juicing.
Wash them, and then let them dry (you can gently pat them dry), and then juice them,
so that no water that has been in contact with the skin, will leak into your juice.
Also, the more often you empty and clean the inside of the juicer in between juicing,
the smaller the risk that pesticides from the skin still leak into your juice.

I think its about weighing the pros and the cons.
The pro of raw foods is that they dont contain all the heterocylic amines and acrylamide that normal foods contain.
And if grapes are really the only fruit juice your daughter tolerates, i think its still better than a cooked alternative.
Besides lacking nomral cooked food toxins, grapes have another advantage: specific antioxidants and resveratol.
Resveratrol in grapes has been linked to longevity, by stimulating recycling of unused / old cells (autophagy),
similar to a calorie-restricted diet.
Grapes also contain compounds that increase glutathione activity, a major endogenous antioxidant,
and ingredients that inhibit lipid peroxidation.
In my opinion, the benefits outweight the cons.
But maybe, you can alternately use other fruits as well?
Mia

Post by Mia »

RRM, you said you wash the grapes with vinegar, how do you do that, can you describe?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

you said you wash the grapes with vinegar, how do you do that, can you describe?
I put the grapes in a big strainer/sieve, hanging over a bowl.
Then i just pour vinegar over all the grapes (yes, that takes a lot of vinegar),
add sufficient water to the vinegar so that i can subsequently soak the grapes in that bowl filled with vinegar and water.
Then i do the same for a next batch of grapes, using the same water/vinegar, or new one, if you dont mind buying much vinegar.
After the vinegar/water bath, i use a cotton cloth to dry the grapes, after which i let the grapes rest on that cloth.
In between juicing i remove the pulp and clean the inside of the machine repeatedly,
because i want to extract as little juice from the remaining pulp.
Its also not neccessary, as by far the most juice gets extracted right away,
by crushing the grapes.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Thank you for your description of how you wash with vinegar.
I will try that when juicing today.