Kiwi

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
overkees
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Kiwi

Post by overkees »

So... since kiwis are in season I think it's time to give some appreciation for this fruit. One of the best fruits is the orange, it is high in alot of vitamins and for most waians it provides the bulk of energy.

However, the chinese gooseberry aka kiwi fruit is also one of the most nutritious fruits available. So I made a comparison with oranges. 1000g kiwi vs 1000g orange juice.
kiwisinaas.jpg
Oranges seem to be better for vitamin B1, but that's basically it. Kiwis are very high in minerals! They also have a lot of protein, and the protein quality is superb for a fruit! Kiwis rock! They also don't have much pesticides on m. They outrank oranges in vitamin C content.

To sum it up: TONS of vitamin K, very good calcium source, splendid magnesium source, HUGE potassium source, awesome manganese source, and ULTIMATE vitamin E source.

Now the seeds might be a problem, but the slow juicer I have doesn't crush them. Kiwi + orange juice is an absolute vitamin AND mineral bomb! So I would say go for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emeira

Re: the kiwi fruit appreciation topic

Post by Emeira »

...and it tastes good (kiwi must be well ripe).
I don't have slow juicer, so I juice kiwi fruits (sometimes bananas) like this :) --->
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, the nutrient contents of kiwis are very good.
A crate of oranges is much. much cheaper than a crate of kiwis though...
Also, this diet is not low in nutrients, and extra nutrients is not per se better.
So, if you dont have extra money available; dont worry about getting kiwi instead of orange.

Of course this goes for all fruits, but make very sure that the kiwi that you eat is perfectly ripe.
Thats because kiwi contains various proteinases, including actinidin.Larocca M et al (the major one Pastorello EA et al)The less ripe, the more actinidin (similar to papain).
Because of these protein-decomposing enzymes, kiwis may evoke an allergic reaction.Bublin M et al (eg respiratory allergy Palacin A et al
Another proteinase in kiwi is thaumatin-like protein. About 40% of it remains intact during gastric digestion.Bublin M et al
Actinidin sensitizes via the gastrointestinal tract Mills EN et al but you most likely notice it in the mouth already (buccal) Doré P et al.
So, if you detect a somehat 'stingy' sensation on your tongue, you need to let that batch of kiwis ripen a bit more.
On the other hand:
Papaya, pineapples and figs contain similar cysteine proteinases. These proteinases are effective against nematodes (parasites)
in the gastrointestinal tract. Stepek G et al Stepek G et al
Thaumatin-like protein is effective against various fungi, including candida.Gavrović-Jankulović M et al
BTW, you can use the juice from unripe kiwis to denaturate beef or similar.

Unfortunately, ripe green kiwis also contain "Kiwellin", a potentially allergenic protein, which is also abundant in gold kiwi species.Tuppo L et al
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote:Yes, the nutrient contents of kiwis are very good.
A crate of oranges is much. much cheaper than a crate of kiwis though...
So, if you dont have extra money available; dont worry about getting kiwi instead of orange.
When they are in season in The Netherlands and look out for good deals you can get them for 1.20 - 1.80 per kg. I buy large amounts if they are 1.50 euros. I get 1.80 euros for 1L of orange juice.
As I already showed 1kg kiwi has 33% more calories than 1L OJ.
So I would get more calories for a cheaper price.
610 for 1.50 for kiwi
450 for 1.80 for orange juice

Mixing the two creates a very nice drink that is much more satiating for me than OJ.
I did notice that eating more than 10 kiwis within a 1 hour results in some gastrointestinal disturbances :). I think it's best to limit consumption due to these hard to digest proteins.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

When they are in season in The Netherlands and look out for good deals you can get them for 1.20 - 1.80 per kg.
The oranges that i buy vary in price between 0.40 and 0.70 euro per kg.
How much juice does 1 kg of kiwi yield?
As I already showed 1kg kiwi has 33% more calories than 1L OJ.
Are you comparing whole kiwis with orange juice?