Freezing OJ

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
overkees
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Freezing OJ

Post by overkees »

I remember I read somewhere that people experimented with freezing OJ. I want to try this aswell, so what are the downsides?

What are the ins and outs? I need a good management and someone with experience who can help is appreciated. I can then order a big bulk for a much cheaper price. I read that RRM bought them for 0.40 - 0.70 cents, now I''m paying 0.80 - 1.10. Now I just buy 1 crate every 4-5 days or something.

Thanks in advance!
RRM
Administrator

Re: Freezing OJ

Post by RRM »

I buy my oranges at a medium to large Moroccan supermarket / butcher,
and as i usually buy at least 10 crates each time, i get this discount.
Is your freezer big enough?
You can keep the juice frozen for at least one month. Im speculating a couple of months.
After defreezing the shelf life is shorter though; just 2 days.
Im using plastic coca cola bottles. It seems that migration of phtalates etc is minimal at such low temp.
The good thing is that you can tell the supplier in advance that you will be buying many crates,
and that you will only buy very ripe oranges.
Very ripe fruits decay rapidly, so that once the oranges are very ripe, the retailer wants to get rid of them as soon as possible,
because every day he will have to throw away a lot of oranges.
For you that is no problem, as you will juice them all anyway.
So, the retailer can just wait until a whole sale supplier needs to get rid of a large batch of very ripe oranges,
which usually happens at rock bottom prices.
That way the juice is both very sweet and very cheap!!
overkees

Post by overkees »

Thanks for your reply, I'm really going to give it a try and try to make a deal with the closest immigrant store that sells them now per 15-16kg for 14.50.

I'm not so fond of using plastic bottles. They are hard to clean and the potential phtalate threat is not appealing at all to me. I have very good reusable 0.75 L glass bottles.

I'm thinking about applying this tactic because it will make a lot of money difference. Say I can get them for 40-70c on avg. I use 3kg of oranges a day (1.8L OJ). So I will save 3*40c on avg a day = 1.20. So that is 8.40 a week. That is 2.5 crates per month extra!

Say I also buy 10crates at a time, that should be enough to get discount, then this is about 150kg of oranges. That will last me 150/3 = 50 days. My girlfriend also uses 1.0 - 1.5 L OJ a day. So that should be about once a month. Ah, that's perfect, I will then have to order only once a month and make it immedietely and freeze it. 10 crates should give 90 (!) liters. So that I need a whole lot of bottles :o. If I want to do it with the bottles of 0.75L I will need over 100 of m :|. Do you have such a huge collection of bottles and such a huge freezer?

Hmmm, I might use big cans or something. Like 2.5L and defreeze that everyday. How do you manage all this? haha

I will see if I can make a deal and report back on this later.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:I have very good reusable 0.75 L glass bottles.
Perfect. You will need a lot.
Say I also buy 10crates at a time, that should be enough to get discount
Yes, but the essential part is that you tell him to only buy the oranges when they are available at rock-bottom price,
when very ripe and decaying fast. (thats when they need to get rid of them as soon as possible)
Do you have such a huge collection of bottles and such a huge freezer?
No, but my neighbours have a stand-alone freezer (top-loader) in their storage box outside (for bicylces etc),
which i have been using twice now.
From work i allways collect coca cola bottles.
A coworker (overweight) thinks that drinking lots of coca cola zero helps him to lose weight...
And then i restuff these bottles with lots of sugar... :)
I might use big cans or something. Like 2.5L and defreeze that everyday. How do you manage all this? haha
I just take out 3 bottles each day...
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

@RRM Do you have any idea who much euro a litre of orange juice cost you this way ?

When I was juicing a lot, it seems to cost me around 3 euro per litre. Now at the plus (dutch supermarket) they have a machine that makes fresh orange juice, and this also cost 3 euro per litre.

I'm wondering how much cheaper it would be in the way you are doing it. If it's much cheaper, I may invest in a good freezer.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Prices of the oranges and how much juice they yield varies, naturally.
In bulk, they cost me 40 to 70 cents / kg.
The yield may range from 33 to 42%.
So, thats about 95 cents to 2.12 euro / L.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

At the moment im feasting on mangoes...
I bought 200 perfectly ripe (soft, juicy, incredibly sweet) big mangoes (about 710 grams on average), for 100 euro.
The average yield is quite high: 65%
The juice is thick and heavy; 1054 grams / L.
So, the costs are only 1.14 euro / L.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Is it safe to use frozen mango from the store when there is no fresh available?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Probably. Why not?

I just bought and juiced 50 kg of very ripe organic bananas for 14 euro, which is about 60 (euro)cents / L .... 8)
My supplier bought them for me as nobody else wanted to buy them.