Cleaning glass/plastic/steel bottles

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
martianwarrior
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Cleaning glass/plastic/steel bottles

Post by martianwarrior »

today my orange juice EVOO mix turned alcoholic! :shock: i learned that fresh orange juice contains 'wild yeasts' which make this process occur easily.

does anyone know if there is a time limit for leaving OJ out of a refrigerator?

i fill up my bottle in the morning with the mixture which i make fresh everyday, usually about 40 to 50 oz's and i've been leaving it out of the fridge all day everyday for the last 2-3 weeks as i like to sip it throughout the day and i don't like ice cold liquids. i haven't noticed the smell that tipped me off today before, but maybe because i usually keep it inside the house and it doesn't get exposed to higher heat. i noticed it after going on a long walk while it was probably in the upper 80's fahrenheit outside. i took the juice with me in a back-pack. i also wasn't noticing the taste, but once i got home and noticed the smell i poured it in a glass to see if this got rid of smell, not understanding what the problem was at first, it seemed to, but then i REALLY noticed the taste. another contributing factor could be that i don't wash the bottle out everyday and just leave it sit out with the cap off if i finish the mix. if there's still some in, i refrigerate it.

has anyone else ran into this problem or have a solution? is it simply a law of the nature of fruit juice that it must be refrigerated?
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It could very well be the bottle and/or leftover OJ. It shouldn't be a problem to have OJ out of the fridge a whole day.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

that's good to know, especially since i did it before without problems. it must be due to reusing the bottle too much without washing it out. i have noticed orange juice turns 'spikey' tasting or has a bite to it after refrigerating over night.

i'll just have to make sure i use what i make or not make too much at one time... and not be lazy and wash the damn bottle out :lol:

thanks
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, i always clean my bottles very thoroughly with very hot water.
Only if i make to many bottles in one sitting (more than 8 ot 9 bottles), after the third day of keeping those bottles in the fridge the juice becomes 'fizzy'.
I usually still drink it, unless it really doesnt taste good anymore.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I use glass bottles for all my juice. Every four to six months I will clean them with bleach.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Cold water + brush every evening. :)
Maia

Re: orange juice gone bad

Post by Maia »

Hi!
So I am also having this problem now. The orange juice that I make gets bad all the time! I make it out of oranges that have been lying around to get ripe for maybe 2 weeks. At first when it is just just freshly squeezed it tastes wonderful! But then I put it in a bottle made of stainless steel (washed thouroughly with warm water, brush and dishing chemical and then cold water) and then when I -try- to drink it later im the day it tastes really bad :(
I tried making it with fresh oranges that I just bought too ( they happened to be sweet from the beginning!) and the exactly same thing happened - first it tastes really good and then later bad.
It feels like such a waste!
What is the problem here?
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I've no idea. Have you tried another type of bottle?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Must be the bottle; please try a standard plastic bottle (coke etc)
Though sometimes you cant see that an orange is bad, and only once it has been juiced,
and you check the squeezed orange, you notice that its not good anymore.
This will contaminate the whole 'bottle'.
So, you may want to check each and every orange after each time you juice one.
RRM
Administrator

Re:

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I use glass bottles for all my juice. Every four to six months I will clean them with bleach.
I found a much cleaner and more effective way.
Its because i remembered how they eliminate microorganisms from drinking water, the cheap way.
Simply fill your bottle with water, and then put it outside with maximum sunlight exposure.
The UV radiation kills all micro-organisms, and cleans the bottle effectively.
I tried it, and it really works very well.
bbmine

Re: Cleaning glass/plastic bottles

Post by bbmine »

I been using this for awhile, its perfect and easy to clean
http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wi ... n-wide.php