Juice yield

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Juice yield

Post by RRM »

The most effective way to increase juice field is advanced ripening.
If I let the bananas get dark brown on the outside (the peel) and soft, light-brown on the inside, I get over 90% juice! (less than 10% of the weight is pulp)
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:The most effective way to increase juice field is advanced ripening.
If I let the bananas get dark brown on the outside (the peel) and soft, light-brown on the inside, I get over 90% juice! (less than 10% of the weight is pulp)
Banana contains 75% water. I managed to get 65% of juice from very ripe banana. Tell me your secret please :-)

BTW, Does anyone know how many sugars in sieved banana juice ?
I guess 35%, but can't find any data on internet.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:
RRM wrote:The most effective way to increase juice field is advanced ripening.
Banana contains 75% water. I managed to get 65% of juice from very ripe banana. Tell me your secret please :-)
Juice is not just water...
It also contains sugars, protein, minerals, organic acids
With advanced ripening / decomposition, increasingly more larger molecules are broken down in smaller particles, that more readily dissolve in the water, making more juice. The starch gets decomposed into sucrose, for example.
Even some of the fibre gets decomposed, as the banana becomes almost liquid entirely.

Banana:
74% water
20% sugars (incl. 3% starch)
2% fibre
1% protein
1% minerals
1% organic acids

So, yes, its easy to get 90% juice. As long as the banana has (over)ripened sufficiently.
Iris

Post by Iris »

My mother has this one,
passe_vite.jpg
which is obviously not a sieve so filtering fibres out is impossible with it. But it works wonders with separating the fruit's flesh from it's pits and peels. So today I experimented a bit with juicing pomegranate (using a santos orange press, a hurom slow juicer en this thing) Turns out this passevite works best :) The orange press leaves great looking ( translucent dark red) juice but with a bitter aftertaste from the white parts in the fruit. Using the slow juicer the pits get mashed up, so the juice isn't translucent but more pinkish and I suppose with lots of toxins in it? Tastes ok though (which I found a bit odd). Using the passevite you get nice translucent dark red juice which tastes just perfect :D
Not recommended when in a hurry though, removing all pits on forehand and then juicing them this way is pretty time consuming :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

Post by fred »

Interesting, thank you.
Does it work with other fruits, like grape ?
Iris

Post by Iris »

I suppose so, haven't tried that yet (our grapes aren't ready yet and I never buy them) but will get back at this when I do :wink:
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Iris wrote: Using the passevite you get nice translucent dark red juice which tastes just perfect :D Not recommended when in a hurry though, removing all pits on forehand and then juicing them this way is pretty time consuming :wink:
How many hours did the passevite take to juice a pomegranate?
( lol, I doubt you can break my record for the longest pomegranate juicing time. 8) )

My garlic presser holds the record of 2.5-4 hours to juice 1 pomegranate.
(2.5 the juicing, 1.5 the setup and cleanup, pulling each pomegranate kernel from the peels.) ;D

Iris, what about oranges? Do those take long with the passevite?
Could you try tomatoes too?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You girls give a whole new meaning to the term "slow juicing"! ;)
Iris

Post by Iris »

It's not the juicing that takes much time, it's getting all the fruit out of the peel (and making sure no white parts are sticking to the fruit parts). But no, not nearly as long as your garlic press routine ;D :wink:

I could try oranges, but I can't promise you you'd agree with my verdict (orange juice from a Santos tastes perfectly fine by me). I don't have tomatoes (don't like m at the moment) but I'm pretty sure you'll get some sort of puree instead of juice.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Oscar wrote:You girls give a whole new meaning to the term "slow juicing"! ;)
:lol: Trust Oscar to define definitions.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Iris wrote:I suppose so, haven't tried that yet (our grapes aren't ready yet and I never buy them) but will get back at this when I do :wink:
So I tried grapes yesterday, works too. But I did need to sieve it afterwards because of some very tiny pits in our grapes. And had to make sure I juiced just a small amount at once.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

For the best banana juice yield, you need ripe bananas.
Im talking about this ripe:
banana4juicin.jpg
The good thing is that i get them for about 5 euro per box, because they are overripe and nobody else wants to buy them.
My regular supplier knows that i will buy them from him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doventin

Post by doventin »

This... is ok to juice?!
When my bananas look like this they smell weird. Or perhaps it's fine? How should it smell when it has gone bad?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

When they smell weird, it is not fine.
When they smell good and look like this (or even softer) it IS good.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

I was able to find a supermarket that sells overripe fruit at lower price. This bananas were 0.58 euro/kg. Sometimes I even ask at the groceries if they can keep overripe bananas for me, but they just make a weird face, laugh and complete ignore me.
Only now I read this topic more closely. I didn't know I could do juice from that tool. At least it's cheaper than a Versapers xD. Have to try it for sure! :D