hands look chalky after eating an orange

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Emeira
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

hands look chalky after eating an orange

Post by Emeira »

I've been eating a lot of oranges lately and I notice that my hands have some white stuff on them, like I've been making some dough (but not as much white stuff). What is it? and is it bad for skin?
Thank you
RRM
Administrator

Re: hands look chalky after eating an orange

Post by RRM »

Maybe its something on the orange peel.
Try washing the oranges before peeling them,
and see what happens.
waipete

Post by waipete »

hmmm had that problem today... chalky and a bad unbearable burning. will try that thanx RRM
waipete

Post by waipete »

hands still chalky after washing, thinking it maybe the texture of my skin drying out. This is not the first time this happened, could I be allergic to oranges? on another note my hands get really bad from being a dishwasher and are not in the best state, dry, chappy.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

The white chalky stuff is: calcium oxalate {My best guess}
waipete wrote:hands still chalky after washing, thinking it maybe the texture of my skin drying out. This is not the first time this happened, could I be allergic to oranges? on another note my hands get really bad from being a dishwasher and are not in the best state, dry, chappy.
Orange peels naturally have a lot of calcium,
and the calcium is bound in a calcium oxalate format; {plants use oxalates to regulate Ca}
hence, it is not a good idea to get calcium supplemented from eating 'peels', {many plants deposit calcium oxalates on peels}
because calcium 'oxalates' may cause kidney stones.

As for the burning sensation:
waipete wrote:... chalky and a bad unbearable burning.
Wikipedia wrote:Even a small dose of calcium oxalate is enough to cause intense sensations of burning in the mouth and throat, swelling, and choking that could last for up to two weeks.[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxalate
Maybe this will help:
Try adding a few drops of oil/fat on your hands, than use a gentle soap to wash the white-chalky-oil-fat mixture off your hands.
The oil or fat to pick up the white stuff, soap to get rid of both, and left over oil/fat to moisturize your hands.

Hope this helps! :)
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
waipete

Post by waipete »

Thanks that was super informative and helpful post, your method did improve on the burning. :D