Lakewood Orange/Pineapple juice

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Lakewood Orange/Pineapple juice

Post by panacea »

Just wanted to re-share something I found on this forum actually - Lakewood Juices
They are pasteurized, but other than that, it's the freshest and healthiest juice besides fresh-pressed you can get in many areas of the U.S.

http://www.lakewoodjuices.com/product_detail/id-34/

The amount of time and hassle it saves me, along with its pretty cheap cost, and apparently year-round availability and ripeness, make this product something I'm probably going to be buying for as long as they keep making it (buying loads of it)

The OJ does not taste like you just juiced perfectly ripe oranges into a glass, but it's as super close to that as you could dream for. The stuff apparently has a shelf life of like 2 years, with no preservatives added, no sugar added, not from concentrate, not irradiated (I emailed them to ask this), organic, cold pressed, glass bottle (no plastic/bpa concerns), doesn't require refridgeration for transport (vacuum sealed), etc. It's just the best stuff you can ask for besides fresh ripe OJ, which is damn hard to get in many areas and on many schedules.

I've found that it's "dead easy" to stay 99% wai with this stuff stocked up. I actually drove 20 minutes to town today on a habit, of going to get some takeout junk food, and when I got there I was too full on OJ to go through with it. Having tons of this stuff without having to put the hassle into making it fresh really is a game changer. Eating raw salmon and yolks is still a chore, but at least you can just chog them down with OJ now whole, without chewing, since it's meat.

The pineapple juice tastes even better than the OJ. I tried several others like cherry and cranberry and apple, they're also good, but not as good as the OJ/pineapple, but it's not the processing's fault, just some fruits are better than others I think (;

The best part? Free 2-day shipping with amazon prime. Like holy cow, like as many litres as you want of OJ juice delivered to your door for free, it doesn't get any easier than that.

I think this is a great intermediate tool. If people can get on a 100% OJ/pineapple juice from Lakewood and raw salmon/yolk diet, then after a few months of that they may have the extra energy and drive to fresh juice their own oranges, as it would be a relatively small gradual step to take to go 100% wai.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Lakewood Orange/Pineapple juice

Post by RRM »

Having a supplier makes things a lot easier, indeed.
My local fruit supplier now does all the orange juicing for me; about 10 L per day for me and my kids.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Nice, how much does it cost for you, total?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

10 bottles for 2.50 euro each, is 25 euro per day.
Sounds like a lot, but it is for 4 people.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

I was in Amsterdam a week ago and in central bus station I had found orange juicing machine... 2,79 eur for 300ml fresh juices :shock:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, there is also a mini-supermarket with highly inflated prices.
It is almost like buying food at the Champs-Élysées
Of course, when you do your daily/weekly groceries, you do not buy there...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You were here!? :shock: The NSA didn't inform us about that!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

yes I was for 3 days, we went to aquatech exhibition (work purposes) :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

At least you managed to hide from the Wai Mafia ;)
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

8)
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

lol Em, escaped the mafia! :D

RRM, are the bottles bottled in glass?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Panacea, you win for the priciest orange juice; and they are pasteurized too! :wink:
I think you are paying for shipping.

Comparing Prices (fresh)
7.614 euro/L Lakewood Orange pasteurized,glass, Panacea
6.309 euro/L supermarket oranges-at-home, Aytundra
5.58 euro/L Amsterdam central bus station, Emeira
3.357 euro/L prepared-at-supermarket oranges, Aytundra
2.5 euro/L local fruit supplier,glass, RRM

1.864 euro/L pasteurized plastic/tetrapack oj, Aytundra
1.109 euro/L concentrated plastic/tetrapack oj, Aytundra
anyone else?
Aytundra

Re: Lambeth Grove OJ and Not Pasteurization Price

Post by Aytundra »

Panacea, I know you live in the US.
Do you have Whole Foods near you?
Lambeth Grove OJ is labelled "not pasteurized", though it is in a plastic container.
Shelf life is marked at ~ 1 week. { I am not sure that juice with a 2 year shelf life like Lakewood OJ, could that be considered juice?}
About 3.1706/L USD, slightly cheaper than the oj from the average fresh oj from supermarkets' rollercoaster juicers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g6iaIv1S4c
I am not too happy about the claw machine that squashes the oranges with the peels, I wonder if the peel juice gets into the juice?
However it is not concentrated and the label states that it is "not pasteurized".

How significant is it that the juice has to be "Not Pasteurized?"

{ I know the Wai Calculator expressedly says that, the nutrition of oj is for "not pasteurized"}
It is at least $2 more /L that I would be paying for oj when it is not pasteurized and not concentrated. That is a lot of money.
But when I walk through the supermarket, and I hold a bottle of oj in my hands, when I see the word pasteurized and concentrated being priced at$4.99 than the cheapest concentrated pasteurized oj at $1-2. I am like okay, I will either be paying 2 or 5 for pasteurized 2L oj, obviously I am not going to be tricked, so that means choosing between $2 pasteurized oj or $8-9 not pasteurized oj. Let's look for the cheapest not pasteurized oj, meaning supermarket oj, or buying real oranges, oranges per pound, and currently oranges are clocking in at 0.89-1.29/lb, which is much more expensive to juice at home, when each orange yields about 80 ml (small), 100 ml (average), 120 ml (large).
RRM
Administrator

Re: Lambeth Grove OJ and Not Pasteurization Price

Post by RRM »

Aytundra wrote: I am not too happy about the claw machine that squashes the oranges with the peels, I wonder if the peel juice gets into the juice?
Whatever method you use, some juice from the peel will always leak into the OJ.
Maybe this even is true more so when using a normal citrus juicer forcefully as compared to the 'claw machine'.
How significant is it that the juice has to be "Not Pasteurized?"
For acne it is.
At least when you are very much acne-prone.