Hyperkalemia induced by excessive fruits

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Aytundra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Hyperkalemia induced by excessive fruits

Post by Aytundra »

Do you feel less puffy / swollen with the lost of 5 pounds?
Do you feel less tired / more energy with the lost of 5 pounds?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Yes, less swollen, but still feel some water retention in face area, probably due to too much protein intake 250g
energy levels are the same, no difference
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 19:55 Sodium and magnesium are in norm.
Maybe I overreacted, but results have risen and are over healthy range.
"healthy" range is not correct. The correct name is 'norm range'.
Your potassium level may, or may not be a sign of you not being healthy.
Your level is not considered hyperkalemia.
Don't know what should I do and what to eat now, because high fruit diet is basically high potassium diet.
A healthy body has no issues keeping the blood potassium levels within the desired margins, and the potassium levels of fruits are well within margins that can be dealt with. When the blood potassium level is too high, the body simply lowers the absorption rate, and increases the resorption rate by the kidneys.
Maybe you have a kidney problem. You might want to check with a physician.
On the other hand, maybe that potassium level is perfect for your you.
Or maybe your potassium level is elevated to compensate for something else.
Blood nutrient levels cannot be read linearly, as the body comprises complex interactions of systems.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

and how fast potassium is excreted from the body? For example if i consumed 6500mg of potassium from 1am till 8pm. And the next morning at 11am blood was taken, could it be that 15 hours is too short time for a body to keep potassium at balance?
Maybe you have a kidney problem.
I did some tests from urine and blood: Urinalysis, urea and creatinine concentration, glomerular filtration rate, everything is in norm range.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Good point!
A blood test is only one point in time, and volumes of nutrients in blood depends on when the nutrients are taken in and how long they last in circulation.

I remember my grandma measuring high amounts of sugar in her blood test. The doctor wanted her to go a diabetic medication. But my grandma said she had 3 persimmons 2 hours before. She had forgotten she had a blood test to do that day, and because she loves the taste of persimmons so much she ate 3 because the wait for a ripe persimmon takes a long time. It is also seasonal and expensive, so it is probably once a few years that she can get persimmons. The doctor dismissed it as like everything should be digested and shouldn't affect the reading. The doctor is pretty much dumb, he will take a paper data at face value and seldom consider the circumstances that created it. However my grandma never took diabetic medication, and her next visit was fine (making sure not to do anything funny, like eating too much of sugary foods before an appointment). Persimmons have lots of sugar. The doctor was probably wrong to assume it was her normal condition. That was over 8 - 10 years ago, she never took any diabetic medication. Though, the thing with doctors is that they like to note everything, and they always like to check if she is diabetic, because if they suspect something once, they always sit like vultures waiting for something bad to happen. Stay away Diabetic industry!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Emeira wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 17:10 from 1am till 8pm
correction* from 1 pm till 8 pm
Aytundra wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 00:12 The doctor is pretty much dumb
My mom likes to watch a popular tv show about health, wellness and medical information, it similar as the Dr. Oz Show.
Yesterday a doctor on that show was talking about cholesterol clogged arteries, he said that vessel inflammation and oxidized cholesterol is the problem, and then he added that sugar is the one who makes cholesterol oxidized. He did not mentioned nothing about high temperature cooking, only sugar as a main cause of oxidized cholesterol. Sugar is demonized in every health show as a basically main reason of all diseases. Not only on tv, people around talking all the time "don't eat that, it has sugar" "avoid this, it has sugar".
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Emeira wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 12:59 Not only on tv, people around talking all the time.
What do you mean you didn't know sugar is bad for you?
{lol, joking}
But it is instilled in children a long time ago. Probably as cavity prevention measures.

~~~~~ Toddler Rhyme ~~~~~
Papa: Johnny, Johnny,
Johnny: Yes papa?
Papa: Eating sugar?
Johnny: No papa.
Papa: Telling Lies?
Johnny: No papa.
Narrator: Open your mouth,
All: Hahaha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4tHL8reNCs
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

As I thought, after I decreased potassium intake in my diet for few days from 6500 to 3500mg, today blood results also shows reduced potassium amount from 5.2 to 4.95, now it is in norm range (3.5-5). I guess I will drink lower amounts of orange/banana juices in the future.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Me and all my five children drink loads of orange juice (and banana juice) all day.
All our levels are within norme range.
It shows how capable the human body normally is in adjusting absorption and excretion rates.
Individual differences may account for intolerancies / sensitivities / allergies etc.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Have you done blood tests? What are potassium levels exactly?
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

RRM wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 13:30 It shows how capable the human body normally is in adjusting absorption and excretion rates.
So for exampl. how come too much of carrot juice is not safe to drink? Does the body is not capable to excrete too much carotenes?
Emeira wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 13:30My concern is carrots, if I am planning to drink around 2l of carrot juice/day is there anything I should worry about?
RRM wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 13:30That would amount to a very high intake of carotenes. Not safe, in my opinion, as it has been shown that an extremely high intake of bate-carotene increases lungcancer risk in people who smoke cigarettes.
In this case you also can't drink too much tomato juice or mango juice because its also are high in vit A, yes?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 15:03 In this case you also can't drink too much tomato juice or mango juice because its also are high in vit A, yes?
Levels in carrot juice are far more extreme. From the USDA database:

Vitamin A IU
19,999 carrot juice
1,001 tomato juice
499 mango juice
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 14:35
Have you done blood tests? What are potassium levels exactly?
In mEq/L
Me 4.2
Trix 3.9
Roel 4.4
Lynn 4.3
Rose 4.6
Lars 4.9
Lars is the youngest and drinks mostly banana juice.

Hyperkalemia
Potassium levels of 6.1 mEq/L to 7.0 mEq/L are moderate
Levels above 7 mEq/L reflect severe hyperkalemia
Your highest level of 5.9 does not reflect hyperkalemia.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

RRM wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 16:57 Your highest level of 5.9 does not reflect hyperkalemia
My highest was 5.27 (mmol/l) not 5.9
Last edited by Emeira on Sat 23 Mar 2019 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 17:17
RRM wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 16:57 Your highest level of 5.9 does not reflect hyperkalemia
My highest was 5.27 (mmol/l) not 5.9
Sorry about that.
Well, then it certainly did not reflect hyperkalemia