Hyperkalemia induced by excessive fruits

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Emeira
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Hyperkalemia induced by excessive fruits

Post by Emeira »

I got my blood tests results and it shows too much potassium in the blood. I have no problems with kidneys.
My diet basically orange juice (2200mg potassium) and banana juice(2200mg potassium) + animal food and some dried fruits, nuts, tomato, cucumber. Total potassium per day is 6300mg.
Now I am a little bit concern that too much of orange, banana juice is not that healthy after all and could be a problem in a long run.

There are more cases that too much bananas, orange juice and dried figs was a cause of hyperkalemia:

Hyperkalemia Induced by Excessive Consumption of Dried Fruits
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3932298/
Orange juice-induced hyperkalemia in schizophrenia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15242143/
Hyperkalemia and hyperdopaminemia induced by an obsessive eating of banana in an anorexia nervosa adolescent.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17194559/
RRM wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2009 12:12
Melt wrote:i get acne after certain amount of durians in 1 serving.
That may be due to the high potassium contents.
Can too much potassium be the cause of swollen face in the morning?
Aytundra

Re: Hyperkalemia induced by excessive fruits

Post by Aytundra »

Try not to eat any cereal based foods then.
Because the toxins from cereal bacteria if present in the cereal, would move potassium into the mitochondria.
This youtube video explains the mechanism of the toxins nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujTYLV2Qo4
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Try not to eat any cereal based foods then.
I have not eaten cereal since 2012...
However I was a surprise that potassium increased, I thought that it is safe to consume large amounts of fresh juices.
In any case, I will stick to raw food diet, but will reduce high potassium fruits
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Do you feel more energetic?
Given that you have more potassium.
Does that form a stronger difference between the internal and external membranes of the mitochondria?
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Do you feel more energetic?
Given that you have more potassium.
Does that form a stronger difference between the internal and external membranes of the mitochondria?
Only I felt weak but constant leg muscle cramps, in the mornings water retention in face area (I always thought that was because of too much protein, not potassium) and low blood pressure 100/60
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 20:04 I got my blood tests results and it shows too much potassium in the blood.
What are your potassium levels exactly?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 20:04 Can too much potassium be the cause of swollen face in the morning?
Sure. Any imbalance in electrolytes can
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

RRM wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 09:18 What are your potassium levels exactly?
Normal potassium level in the blood is 3.5-5.0
My blood tests since:
2014-07 Potasium 5.09 (mmol/l)
2016-05 Potasium 5 (mmol/l)
2017-05 Potasium 5 (mmol/l)
2019-03 Potasium 5.27 (mmol/l)
Sodium and magnesium are in norm.
Maybe I overreacted, but results have risen and are over healthy range.
I started high fruit diet since Aug 2012, maybe I will find any blood tests done before raw food diet.

Don't know what should I do and what to eat now, because high fruit diet is basically high potassium diet.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Emeira wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 20:04 My diet basically orange juice (2200mg potassium) and banana juice(2200mg potassium) + animal food and some dried fruits, nuts, tomato, cucumber. Total potassium per day is 6300mg.
If 2200 mg is taken by oranges, and 2200 mg is taken by bananas, then the remainder of the 6300 mg is 1900 mg.
You are getting 1900 mg from dried fruits, tomato, cucumber, nuts, and animal food.
Of these foods, I doubt fish and egg yolks would put much potassium in.
Dried fruits would most likely contribute the most out of the remainder.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Potassium in ginger vs banana with manganese held at same amount.JPG
Banana is pretty much manganese, ginger tops up manganese easily without adding much potassium.
As for the calorie from bananas, replace it with sugar or honey (honey will add potassium but will not add as much as banana per gram).
As for the juice, replace it with water.

Ginger (slightly spicier) + honey + water = banana juice with less potassium

5 g ginger = 254 g banana = 1.6 mg manganese

you wouldn't need 777 g of honey to get calories, so, the potassium there is not applicable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Ginger (slightly spicier) + honey + water = banana juice with less potassium
...water and honey ... maybe just for experiment, because its not sustainable :|
Here are more specific foods from my diet with potassium content:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Out of curiosity, have you gotten a cough or a runny nose recently?
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Fever 38C for 1 day, without runny nose
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Good, you are healthier than me.

I guess it is just me with the cough and runny nose thing, I currently still eat like a half SAD amount of foods. But several months ago when I went to visit a guy that learnt TCM, to get the cough to stop, he told me to avoid eating white coloured foods, like choosing broccoli instead of cauliflower ({as if I eat vegetables, I don't, broccoli blah, cauliflower blah}), kiwi, banana, and the white threads on citrus fruits, and to avoid sugary foods to stop mucous build up (including cookies, bread, pasta, potatoes...)

I went crazy over sifting through the data tables to see what the white coloured foods stuff had in common.
I narrowed down to potassium and manganese, but, couldn't quite decide which was the evil causing me to get sick easily; I mean it could just be neither, and instead it could be the processed sugar added to everything that could be the cause.
Potassium is pretty much leaning towards the fruits and veggies category, while meats doesn't seem to hold potassium much.
As for manganese, if you filter manganese out, you will easily eliminate grains food group.

Anyways, that was my incentive to build the table to sift through the elements in foods. I got over the cough and cold by religiously avoiding banana and kiwi, along with a bunch of processed sugary foods white floured foods. Garlic was my friend along with ginger.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Aytundra wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 20:21 Garlic was my friend along with ginger.
when I am sick garlic is my friend too.

I have completely stoped drinking orange and banana juice for few days now. Potassium has dropped from 6500mg to 2500-3000mg. Withing two days my body weight decreased by 5 pounds!! This is crazy. 2.3kg of extra water wait, no wonder why my face felt so swollen in the mornings.
Now I eat mainly honey, making home lemonade with sugar and strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, coconut cream, for protein egg yolks, beef or mackerel. Will continue this for some time and see what blood test will show again.