too much fruit? (and insulin)

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

too much fruit? (and insulin)

Post by johndela1 »

I have been doing some research on low carb diets. I never thought I would have considered reading about this stuff, but since comming here I am open to eating animal protein. I used to be a raw vegan.

This link: http://www.opinions3.com/separating_fat.htm

talks about not having any carbs in your diet and how sugar (although they mainly blame starch) is not something that should be eaten in large amounts

They talk about cultures who live on meat based diets that they say are healthy

I feel like I am becomming more open minded since comming to this sight. I never would have thought about eating fish and egg yolks on a regular basis.

I'm not trying to prevent acne but to be healthy.

Since getting into nutrition 10 years ago, I have always thought that fruit was something that should be a staple item. It sure seems like it is meant for food.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The article is right on several accounts, but wrong in general. Technically speaking we don't need carbs i.c. sugars, but why would our bodies be able to convert both protein and fat into glucose, if it weren't important? Of course this is far less efficient and more taxing than supplying the body with the necessary sugars directly. I guess you could compare it to you getting your salary in japanese yen, so before being able to use it, you'd have to go to the bank to exchange it.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Perhaps that is the mechanism by which low-carb diets work, i.e. the process of turning all that protein into fuel for the body (including the brain) is so energy-intensive that one loses weight as a matter of course. I'm not sure about that; just speculation. But it strikes me quite fiercely that this is not wise in the long-term - why exhaust the body's systems just to produce fuel, when - as Oscar so rightly points out - you could get your salary paid directly into your account, in your own currency?

*CG sips her OJ and yolks*
*then she nibbles on some dried apricots with coconut oil*
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I wanted to add, most of these low-carb diets are promoted using arguments about avoiding diabetes and insulin resistance from subjecting the body to regular intakes of carbohydrates. This fear is not justified in the case of the Wai diet, because the MAIN principle of this diet is not to eat too much at a time, and always to balance carbs with fat. Thus, the pancreas and the rest of the body's insulin-regulating mechanism are well preserved. Therefore, the Wai diet (followed correctly) negates any adrenalin-overshoot. The worst things to consume (as far as insulin-raising goes) are cooked starches, I believe. Additionally, I think RRM would happily confirm to us that it is perfectly possible to control diabetes on the Wai diet. Or?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

P.S. Sorry, John, I don't mean to sound like a school-teacher, but 'comming' and 'becomming' are incorrect... they're spelled 'coming' and 'becoming.' :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Regarding diabetes I think we have to distinguish type 1 from type 2.
People with type 1 don't have any Isles of Langerhans left, so no possibility to produce any insulin anymore. So far this seems irreversible. The only thing the diet can do here, is reduce the amount of (artificial) insulin needed.
Type 2 can be controlled, depending on the condition of the Isles I guess.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hmmm, good point, Oscar. Also, Type 1 is generally inherited, while Type 2 is lifestyle-related. Not so?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Actually the cause isn't clear with both types. They say it's 'multi-factoral', meaning it could be anything, or a combination thereof... ;)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Oy! :roll: So confusing!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

CurlyGirl wrote:I think RRM would happily confirm to us that it is perfectly possible to control diabetes on the Wai diet. Or?
Yes.
Actually, its EASIER to control diabetes on this diet (less energy conversion), simply because you need less insulin. This was confirmed by a diabetes-1 patient (a lack of insulin by birth), who needed 40% less supplementary insulin injected while on the Wai diet.

Diabetes-2 is the result of exhaustion of the insulin system.
The less insulin is required, the less exhaustion of the insulin system can possibly become an issue.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

CurlyGirl wrote:P.S. Sorry, John, I don't mean to sound like a school-teacher, but 'comming' and 'becomming' are incorrect... they're spelled 'coming' and 'becoming.' :)
Thank you. I am glad you pointed that out. I appreciate when people take the time to correct. (when they are right)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Ah, no problem, John! It drives my family members wild with rage when I correct them (even gently) but some people are more gracious about these things... :-)
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

"Actually, its EASIER to control diabetes on this diet (less energy conversion), simply because you need less insulin. This was confirmed by a diabetes-1 patient (a lack of insulin by birth), who needed 40% less supplementary insulin injected while on the Wai diet. " - RRM

Are you thinking of Goracergo who wrote his experience here?

http://www.freeacnebook.com/moreQ.htm#108

I don't doubt that the diet decreases the need for supplemental insulin in type 1 diabetes. However, he's been sited a lot of times when diabetes comes into discussion on the boards. Let's pretend i'm an outsider. If someone tries to prove a medical thing to me with only one person as an example I get highly skepticle, just because so much can affect a single result. Then I would start doubting other Wai-related things I read, thinking "was this only done by one person and it worked that one time?" I love the wai diet and I just want it to sound as legitimate as possible. Perhaps instead of saying the theory was "confirmed" you could say so far one person has had positive results.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

RRM wrote:"This was confirmed by a diabetes-1 patient"
tjfillion wrote:you could say so far one person has had positive results.
A diabetes patient is one person.
The word confirmed is used 'to confirm' that you indeed need less insulin if constantly less energy needs to be stored (and subsequently utilized).
If less energy is stored, the insulin results cannot differ per person, as the 'storing energy'-'insulin requirements' correlation is by definition positive.
As there is no other correlation possible, there are no other results possible, hence the word 'confirmed'.
avalon

Post by avalon »

CurlyGirl wrote:
Perhaps that is the mechanism by which low-carb diets work, i.e. the process of turning all that protein into fuel for the body (including the brain) is so energy-intensive that one loses weight as a matter of course.
I believe low carb diets work because you burn your fat stores for fuel. I actually can attest to this. The Atkins diet is very misunderstood by the public. I don't mean you CG, but most people I know believe Atkins is 'NO' carbs, only meat which isn't true. Where like Wai, there is a very strict two week intro, then you can start bringing some healthy carbs back- to see how your body reacts.

Here's an interesting study on low-carbs:

http://www.commonvoice.com/article.asp?colid=4459