Glycemic high fruits and spiking

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
haraldsmith
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Glycemic high fruits and spiking

Post by haraldsmith »

so, if i have a small amount of high gi fruit combined with some kind of oil, i will not have a spike? so let's say i had a 1/2 cup of pineapple and then drank a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil, that is the correct way of doing it?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

That is essentially correct. But only if before and after you wait long enough, so your body has used up some of the blood sugar. If your body is used to this system, it will give you a signal (drop in energy/slight hunger feeling) when it needs new energy.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Indeed. If your blood is already saturated with energy, then it will cause a spike. If not, it will not.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

RRM wrote:Indeed. If your blood is already saturated with energy, then it will cause a spike. If not, it will not.
yea.. i tried this: 2 cups strawberries, 2 tbsp sugars, 2 tbsp oils

and it did not spike me.. now i know you all ingest more foods throughout the day, so how much sugar/oils do you all take in at a time? in this example, it was 45g of carbs and 28gs of fat. did i take in too much oil for that example, since it should be around 2:1?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

No, the 2:1 is just a guideline. The ratio can vary from 2:1 to 5:1 or so, depending on how active you are. My ratio is about 2.6:1 I think.

This ratio is about comparing carbs to fats by weight. When looking at the caloric value we're talking carbs/fats/protein = 49%/46%/5%.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

Oscar wrote:No, the 2:1 is just a guideline. The ratio can vary from 2:1 to 5:1 or so, depending on how active you are. My ratio is about 2.6:1 I think.

This ratio is about comparing carbs to fats by weight. When looking at the caloric value we're talking carbs/fats/protein = 49%/46%/5%.
for some people, 5:1 ratio will not spike them? i guess its just something you need to test..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The ratio is never the determinating factor, but the total of each nutrient ingested in one meal, in relation to the amount already present in the blood.
What you eat can be 100% sugar, or 100% oil, or 100% protein, and this may have a spiking effect, or not, totally depending on the above.
avo

Post by avo »

Right, like 1 strawberry will not cause a spike. But 6 bananas and 6 T oil is definately not something you want to do. Just eat fruit until satisfied momentarily, then follow-up with 1-6 teaspoons oil, depending on what and how much fruit you ate.

I usually try to eat no more fruit than a mango+banana, then about 1 T oil. That would be my largest meal, then followed by 2 bananas, 3 yolks, some oil and maybe honey/sugar.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:Just eat fruit until satisfied momentarily, then follow-up with 1-6 teaspoons oil, depending on what and how much fruit you ate.
Thats perfect, but not definitely required.
If the amount of fruit ingested is small enough, you dont need the fat to prevent spiking. So, you can eat fruits all day, without any spiking, if the meals are small and frequent enough. Its just that without fats its more difficult.
avo

Post by avo »

But it is more difficult to obtain proper calories without oil, especially when you are limited to smaill meals, probably less than 100 calories each. You'd have to eat 25-35 meals that size to maintain weight, not exactly easy.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You'd have to eat 25-35 meals that size to maintain weight, not exactly easy.
Actually, thats very easy if you drink lots and lots of OJ with sugar (with or without fat added as well). For me it is.
avo

Post by avo »

I suppose once I find a local source from where to reliably purchase cases of oranges on a regular basis, find a way to transport/deliver the cases (no car, only bike/bus), and then buy a citrus press, and then find room for the cases somewhere in the 420 sq. feet I have, then maybe, maybe I'll give it a try. 8)

Watermelon juice was mentioned, that is always an idea, especially since I can find good-sized ones for 2-3 dollars each.

It's just that it is a big change, I have to get my mind set for it.