durians

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

durians

Post by johndela1 »

I just got back from Little Saigon (a Vietnamese area near my home in Garden Grove, CA). I bought a fresh durian. I've never been able to find a fresh one before. Most are previously frozen. I got some mangustas, jack fruit, and fresh non dried dates.

These fruits are amazing. They taste like candy.

Anyone here eat durian? I've read they are extemely high in calories. I've never tasted any fruit like it. It taste like something that has been made a bakery. Like custard. I can't believe the price. I got the durians for 4.50 / lb. I've seen them on mail order sites for up to 27 / lb.

I also found salmon for 3.99/lb. Wild from alaska. All this time I have had this stuff available to me and never knew it.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wow. I've only tasted frozen durian. Did it smell bad?
RRM
Administrator

Re: durians

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:Anyone here eat durian? I've read they are extemely high in calories.
Not that extreme.
Yes they contain twice as many calories as figs, but dried figs contain even 75% more, for example.
Also avocadoes are 55% more calorie-dense.
Durians are also rich in vitamin B1 and B2.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:Wow. I've only tasted frozen durian. Did it smell bad?
yes
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hehe, I have trouble eating something that smells bad, but I know it's a delicatesse. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I agree they smell really bad and I know smell contributes to the way we taste, but once you start eating it, the you don't notice the smell. At least for me. It has a odd texture. It is not really solid.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah I remember the texture. Well, whenever I've got the opportunity to taste fresh durian, I will certainly try again.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I am considering selling them by mail. I know an importer and in the raw food community there is a huge cultish demand for durian. I just have to look into the laws and stuff. I would like to actually become a mail order fruit seller. I would always have good fruit for myself.

I usually go for organic fruit but with these exotic fruits it is hard to know because they come from countries that have different laws. My durians are not chemically treated, but I don't think that means they are organic. I have to find out more. I was told many people inject durians with something that makes them ripen so they are uniformly sweet. I think that is what is reffered to by the term chemically treated.
rischott

Post by rischott »

so sorry i haven't posted sooner. i just was looking around the site and noticed this post. I have been eating durian for several months now, but the season should be over in a few weeks. I would be willing to ship some durian over if you would like. I am in hawaii, so it would probally only be worth it for americans or canadians. I could send it in the shell or but it in some kind of container although i dont' know how long durian could stay fresh.
Also, i plan on being in hawaii for some time, so i could do this next season as well. Also, rambutans and longons are still going. They stay fresh for up to a week.
Durian is amazing. But it seems addicting and controlling for some people. A roommate of mine bought 116 pounds last week, and wasn't willing to share. She was possesed with it.
The durian seems to allure the taste buds into fairy land. I am mystified by the creation of the durain. The shell, the entry, the shape of the fetus. I do suggest everyone try a fresh durian some time in your life. It confirms the presence of 'god' 'spirit' 'estatic energy' in our food. The realization of medicine, of healing, through our food! Not through pills or nutrient schedules or fda approved micro powers. Food is life! And the durian is one of those special moments.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wow...
Gerard

durian

Post by Gerard »

They have a marvellous taste and give an overall sensation that goes beyond the taste....

You'll want to eat durian fruit of the family Bombacaceae, not Annonaceae (the latter includes a fruit called 'Dutch durian'), by the way...

The annonaceous plants, including soursop, pawpaw and custard apple, are associated with a substance linked to a type of Parkinson's disease due to what it does to neurotransmitters in the brain....
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Yea, I can understand why some people may not share durian. I wouldn't take a durian based fruit salad to a party, but do let my friends and co-workers try pieces. It's easy to eat a lot at once and they are on the pricey side.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

Johndela1, did you ever find a good source to purchase bulk amounts of durian from?
I too would like to start selling fruit too, but strictly durian. I want to sell it at the local markets in the Bay Area of CA.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I found a store near my home (southern california, south of LA) that sells them. I gave up on buying in bulk and reselling them. I am currently learning about plant cultivation and have several tropical fruit trees in containers that are doing well. I have not tried to grow Durian yet but plan to try and sprout some seeds or buy a mature plant and keep it alive. People get great results growing in containers.

I used to think Durians could not be cultivated in my climate but am starting to learn otherwise. I have seen small trees in say 5 gallon buckets that actually produce fruit and are not giant.

I would really like to eat more Durian than I do. They sell for about $5/pound and that weight includes the shell, so they are rather expensive. I mean I could eat $20 in one sitting...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I've heard so much about durians, I'm curious to try (a fresh) one. $20...ouch.