Freezing juice? blending? which oranges?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Freezing juice? blending? which oranges?

Post by avo »

Will freezing juice have any negative effects? I was thinking about making OJ icecubes to quickly cool down just-made juice (I like it cold).

Also, will blending juice have any negative effects? I figured it would be easier to mix in oil and sugar when the juice is mixing in a blender, rather than mix by hand or shaking.

Are most citrus juices ok? Like tangerine, blood orange, navels, valencia? What about grapefruit or lemon?

Which orange is best for OJ in terms of juiciness, sweetness, etc?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Freezing juice? and other questions

Post by RRM »

Because OJ is so much fluid (unlike bananas), I doubt there will be any negative effect possible.
Also, even with bananas, I believe that the effect is only negative when you are very susceptible to acne.
Are most citrus juices ok? Like tangerine, blood orange, navels, valencia? What about grapefruit or lemon?
For juicing? Sure.
Which orange is best for OJ in terms of juiciness, sweetness, etc?
That depends on the year, the time of the year and on where they come from. When they are available, I prefer cuban oranges.
nick

Post by nick »

RRM,

Do those immigrant shops carry many different brands/species of oranges?

The wholesale places where I'm at do not carry anything but California and Floridia juices. They do get temple oranges, but no cuban's.

I wonder if that is a European luxury or if they indeed are possible to find in the states.
avo

Post by avo »

I just bought a case of Navels. Supposedly, later this month many other varieties will be available and cheap, since that is citrus season. I didn't try juicing the navels yet, hopefully they are good, I paid $17 for a huge case. I know that I like Minnola (sp?) tangelos juiced, as well as Florida Glo.

I have a friend who has some unusual species in his yard, he never manages to eat even a quarter of what his trees produce, so he agreed to give me what he cannot deal with... :D Something about some kind of tangerine, some gold-something oranges, grapefruit, meyer lemons, etc. I'll keep you guys and girls updated on the situation...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Wow, Avo, you are one lucky guy!!!
nick wrote:Do those immigrant shops carry many different brands/species of oranges?
Actually, here all shops that sell fruits, sell oranges from all over the world, depending on where 'it is the season'; from Cuba, Argentina, Brazil, Morocco, Spain, South Africa, Australia. A little while ago it was Morocco. Right now its South Africa, and in a few weeks it will be Spain.
The wholesale places where I'm at do not carry anything but California and Floridia juices. They do get temple oranges, but no cuban's.
Cubans are out of season right now; their season is from about April to August, I believe.
I wonder if that is a European luxury or if they indeed are possible to find in the states.
I cant believe that you dont get oranges from all over the world. :?
avo

Post by avo »

That is amazing, so different from the States. Most citrus tends to be Florida, California, Mexico, not Spain or anything like that.
nick

Post by nick »

Europe would be a great place to live and eat!
So tempting, it makes me think about living over there.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

But if you can get oranges all year around, and if they taste good, what does it matter where they come from?
nick

Post by nick »

Good point.
I guess the problem is that for the past two months the prices have doubled because of the end of the season and there aren't that many oranges left. Also, if their is a crop shortage, at least you have a back-up to go to that is still cheaper. It costs 34$ dollar for a case of 113. The new season is coming in soon so that will help.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If you post what to edit, or what to replace your previous post with, I'll do it for you. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

nick wrote:It costs 34$ dollar for a case of 113.
Wow, thats really expensive. Here the South Africans's are already quite expensive at the moment; they cost 15 euros for a case of 90.
nick

Post by nick »

Indeed!
It's a hard knock life.
But the prices will start to come down.

Avo, are the orange prices expensive where you are?
avo

Post by avo »

Well, it depends where you look. Organic oranges can be 2.99/lb. But I don't buy those. I bought a half-bushel (big bag) for $6 at a flea market, I will go tomorrow and see if I can do it again. $17 for probably 100 (approx) navels, I bought that at a produce stand, everything they have is cheap, but good quality. Ex: pint of fresh figs = $2, 6 oranges for $1, bananas 29cents/lb.