Pasteurization

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Pasteurization

Post by Seth »

From what I have read, it appears that drinking juice that is organically pasteurized or flash pateurized is still not good. What I don't quite understand is why it matters. Ostensibly, it is the bad protein that is the primary culprit. The juices I see and have bought have no protein content whatsoever, so what difference does it make if it was heated at some point? Sugar has undergone such treatment and appears to be fine to consume.

Can someone please shed some light on this? :)

Seth
RRM
Administrator

Re: Pasteurization

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:Ostensibly, it is the bad protein that is the primary culprit.
yes.
The juices I see and have bought have no protein content whatsoever
If there is some real juice inside, or from juice-concentrates, there always is some protein in it.
0% or 0 gram does not mean nothing. It just means anything less than 0.5% or 0.5 gram.
Sugar has undergone such treatment and appears to be fine to consume.
Yes, but sugar is pure sugar. Juice never is (if it contains some real juice from whatever fruit)
Seth

Post by Seth »

Thank you for clarifying, RPM. That's where I didn't understand: the juice still has protein in it even if in very small amounts. Let's say there is about .5% in one glass of pasteurized juice. Would that bad protein be enough to cause problems? (My thinking is it would vary from person to person.)

Also, does it matter whether it is flash pasteurized or not?

Thanks!

Seth

PS. Looks like I need to get myself a juicer. Any recommendations?
avo

Post by avo »

I really wish I could 'special order' some juice from a local citrus juice company unpasteurized. I might give it a try, I'll probably need a minimum order, so I'll see if I can get a few friends in on it.

It would be much easier if there weren't those stupid health regulations on practically everything.

I say just get a cheap-o electric citrus juicer, the one where the point spins and all you do is hold down the orange-half. Get a good strainer and sift too, maybe a pitcher and some bottles if you don't have them already.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:Would that bad protein be enough to cause problems?
If you do everything else right (all raw), its relatively harmless.
As if you go back from a pack of cigarettes a day to smoking only one cigarette a week.
Also, does it matter whether it is flash pasteurized or not?
I dont know, I have not considered the difference between normal and 'light' cigarettes. (sorry, I couldnt resist :twisted: )
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hi Seth!

You may have bought one by now, but if not:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitch ... index.html

Also, if you live near any thrift shops, you can check them out. I found a really nice one for my needs for $5.00! It's an old Acme Supreme JuicerRator. Also look on ebay.

regards,
Avalon