which juice-extractor to get? (not OJ)

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re:

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:I recently bough a masticating juicer, the "Hurom Slow Juicer",
which is sold in the Netherlands under the name "Versapers".
Why don't you use it for orange ??
Is-it because oranges must peeled ?, or is-it because it does not extract all the juice ?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Why don't you use it for orange ??
Is-it because oranges must peeled ?
Its because you need to peel the oranges first, indeed, which takes a lot of time.
Even more so if the oranges contain pits, as you dont want to juice these! (containing bitter toxins)
abicahsoul

Re: which juice-extractor to get? (not OJ)

Post by abicahsoul »

May I ask, how do you feel about the Hurom juicer from a cleaning perspective? Is it easy to clean? :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Fairly easy, yes; just rinsing, and some brushing (using a tough toothbrush) of the filter.
Takes about as much time (just a little more) as cleaning my citrus juicer.
dime

Slow juicer

Post by dime »

I got the slow juicer. It doesn't produce any juice whatsoever from bananas.. they just get out of the pulp hole.
But it works great for apples. I get very cheap apples at 1eur for 2.5kg, because they are imperfect with blemishes on the skin or hit here and there. So for 1eur I got around 1.6L juice I think. Mixed with the "mashed" bananas it's pretty good! Only issue is that the juice immediately gets brown.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Slow juicer

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:I got the slow juicer. It doesn't produce any juice whatsoever from bananas.. they just get out of the pulp hole.
Then you are doing something wrong, as even bananas contain plenty of water (juice).
Do you have the Versapers?
If so, you must make sure the plastic plug is plugged in, because if it isnt , the juice is discarded with the pulp.
Only issue is that the juice immediately gets brown.
Why would that be an issue?
You dont like brown? :)
dime

Post by dime »

Petra Electric.jpg
I have this one, there's no plastic plug.
I guess it's different from the Versapers. Works great for apples and oranges, but not at all for bananas.

Not sure if the juice getting brown (oxidizing) has any implications on health (can't find any reference).
It happens because of some enzyme (polyphenol oxidase) speeds up oxidation of phenols when exposed to air.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

Post by fred »

Vertical slow juicers like Versapers/Hurom-Oscar/Omega can juice bananas. Banana juice also gets brown quickly, and the taste gets worse with time. Maybe adding juice from acidic fruit could slow down oxydation.
dime

Post by dime »

I get 1.4L juice from 2kg apples with this juicer, it's pretty efficient!
230g are the seeds, so the juicer efficiency is 80%.
Mixed with whole "mashed" bananas it's tasty, and costs like 0.7 eur per liter juice.
It has significantly less folate and vitamin E, compared to orange juice, but significantly more manganese.
mystrilw

Post by mystrilw »

I bought the Hurom Juicer HU-400 3 weeks ago.

4 Sunkist Navel Oranges from South Africa yields me 300-400ml of juice.
I prefer Valencias/Navels due to juice content. Don't be fooled by it's small-medium size!

1 thing to note after switching from Florida's Pasteurized OJ to Fresh OJ is these OJ can last 2-3 days at best.

Cost wise, 5 Valencias cost me 1.60SGD = 1.26USD. Florida OJ (1.80L) cost me 7.40SGD = 5.83USD.

Flavour-wise. If 2D is Florida's OJ, 3D is Fresh OJ. It's that amazing. My body seems to crave fresh OJ involuntary. I recently read a book on OJ practices in the industry. 100% Concentrate-Free OJ is a mix of fresh juice and stored juice to meet demand all year round. The stored juice are stored up to a year or two in an anaerobic tank. Flavours packs are used without being listed in ingredients (approved by US laws).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Interesting.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

I still have doubts about slow juicer (Hurom) to buy or not to buy, is it really worth it? for example, how many bananas do we need to make 1l of banana juice?
The pulp from juicer is very dry?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote:I still have doubts about slow juicer (Hurom) to buy or not to buy, is it really worth it?
I have done many years without it, thriving on OJ.
But if you must have other juices, then its worth it.
You can get a lot of juice from melons and clementines, for example.
It takes more mango to get a substantial amount of juice, though.
But, in my opinion, then its still worth it, because mango juice tastes so incredibly good...
for example, how many bananas do we need to make 1l of banana juice?
That depends on the ripeness of the banana and the number of times that you put the pulp back in the juicer.
In the end, you may get a 70% return (1000 grams of banana yielding 700 grams of juice).
The pulp from juicer is very dry?
That depends on what you juice.
If you juice clementines, the pulp will be very dry.
If you juice melons, it will be a bit less dry.
And a little less dry when juicing mangoes.
The pulp will be the least dry when juicing bananas.
That is because in some fruits the water is contained in compartments (clementines, oranges),
whereas in other fruits this is true to a lesser extend.
Particularly in bananas, there are no such visible compartments.

Also...
How dry the pulp from bananas will be depends on the ripeness of the banana.
The riper the banana, the easier it gets to extract the juice.
Extremely (over)ripe bananas, you just need to juice once, but if the banana is less (over)ripe,
you may need to put the pulp back into the juicer several times before the pulp gets substantial dryer.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

the more brown spots on the banana, the better? :) That's good, because overripe bananas are cheaper.
Interesting, what is the latest, newest (or best) Hurom model...
Nina75

Post by Nina75 »

I would definitely suggest investing in a Versapers, of course you can easily keep up with a simple juicer for oranges but thanks to versapers you can extract the juice of any other fruit in your market ....!

you have the luxury to say for example Monday is orange juice, Tuesday is apple juice, banana juice on Wednesday, thursday pineapple etc etc .... The versapers opens wider variéter fruit, all fruit juices in fact, great gods and what they are good .... Avoid doing drink to your friends or your fruit basket will quickly disappear ...

To help you when you buy Versapers different fruits frees different amount of juice (fruit known WAI frees up a lot of juice). For example if you a watermelon you will be very surprised that watermelon releases a large amount of juice and when you put the watermelon juice through a sieve, juice flows almost like pure water leaving nothing in ... the sieve You understand the pure juice without fiber .....

Choose fruits that contain lots of water and lots of juice out quickly and easily, happiness, do not forget (like orange juice) to pass the juice through a sieve .... There are many post Versapers juice recipe, with the versapers variéter opens to you, delicious variéter and without fiber .... That happiness ....

When you have planned to buy Versapers, buy mangoes, bananas and make you a mango-banana juice, you will understand that you have done very well, squeeze the juice juicy apple .....

(I have no action at Versapers)