Lack of protein? and skin tone

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
nini
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Lack of protein? and skin tone

Post by nini »

Not sure where to post this question. Can poor skin tone (face) be caused by not getting enough protein in the diet? Or may be by poor protein digestion despite of adequate intake of raw protein? Are amino acids not the building blocks of collagen and elastin?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Lack of protein? and skin tone

Post by RRM »

nini wrote:Can poor skin tone (face) be caused by not getting enough protein in the diet?
Yes, if you ingest too little high quality protein (Brazil nuts, fish, yolks).
Or may be by poor protein digestion despite of adequate intake of raw protein?
Very unlikely.
Are amino acids not the building blocks of collagen and elastin?
Yes, but actually it is known that a lack of protein ('hunger belly') causes water retention (as does too much protein).
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM, if you are eating 1200 grams of bananas and drinking 32 oz of OJ, is that considered an adequate or low amount of good protein? I have not seen any negative effect in complexion whatsoever. It actually is the other way around if anything.

Although I am only taking in fish once a week at this point, I am getting omega 3's through raw, unprocessed fish oil. I have had no bad reaction to the oil whatsoever for the past two weeks. (Mixed with OJ, it really does taste surprisingly good.)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:RRM, if you are eating 1200 grams of bananas and drinking 32 oz of OJ, is that considered an adequate or low amount of good protein?
Way too low.
In that case the limiting amino acids are methionine and cysteine, and this will supply you with only 138 mg methionine and 74 mg cysteine, which is 106 mg each (methionine compensates for cysteine), whereas a 70 kg man minimally needs 336 mg each...
I have not seen any negative effect in complexion whatsoever. It actually is the other way around if anything.
Of course, the less protein, the better for your skin, until you start lacking protein, which takes some time, as amino acids can be taken from muscles and other organs.
Long term, you will be lacking protein, which will eventually affect your skin as well.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Does the body store Cysteine or Methionine or do they have to be replenished every 24 hours? Would taking more than what you need every five or so days be sufficient or still leave you lacking in such a way that it would eventually catch up to you?
avo

Post by avo »

RRM stated before that amino acids are not stored by the body. I think this applies here, so it is best to get required amounts each day or close to it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:Does the body store Cysteine or Methionine or do they have to be replenished every 24 hours? Would taking more than what you need every five or so days be sufficient or still leave you lacking in such a way that it would eventually catch up to you?
As Avo said, its indeed best to get what you need on a daily basis.
Otherwise, you would have to eat extremely much in one day to compensate for other days (and low levels in the blood will 'eat up your muscles').
Indeed, the body cannot store protein other than 'in the blood'.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote: Way too low.
In that case the limiting amino acids are methionine and cysteine, and this will supply you with only 138 mg methionine and 74 mg cysteine, which is 106 mg each (methionine compensates for cysteine), whereas a 70 kg man minimally needs 336 mg each...
What would an 80KG man need per day of methionine and cysteine?

Seth
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote: What would an 80KG man need per day of methionine and cysteine?
Minimally 384 mg each.
The WHO recommends 1040 each.
(or more methionine compensating for less cysteine)
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:
Seth wrote: What would an 80KG man need per day of methionine and cysteine?
Minimally 384 mg each.
The WHO recommends 1040 each.
(or more methionine compensating for less cysteine)
That would take well over 5 eggs (including other foods) to reach. I suppose you could always take amino acids, right? I am curious to know how they arrive at such figures.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:That would take well over 5 eggs (including other foods) to reach.
Very much depending on what other foods you eat, for a 80 kg man its about 5 egg yolks, indeed (unless you eat Brazil nuts, of course).
I suppose you could always take amino acids, right?
Yes, but finding the right ones is difficult.
I am curious to know how they arrive at such figures.
Scientific experiments.