I need support!!! dealing with non-Wai dieter friends

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
clementine
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

I need support!!! dealing with non-Wai dieter friends

Post by clementine »

Hi everyone,
I just recently found the Wai diet site, but before that I experimented with being a raw-food vegan, etc. and I had some difficult issues with it socially. My family thought that I had an eating disorder, but really I was just trying to get rid of my acne!! It didn't help that I lost A LOT of weight on that diet, but hopefully now I will be able to keep up my weight since Wai has a lot of techniques (such as adding oil, eating lots of good fats, as much fruit as you want, etc.) that I did not have before. Does anyone else have problems on this diet in dealing with non-Wai dieter friends who think it is 'crazy'? How do you explain it to them? Any advice on dealing with this social issue would REALLY help me to keep on the diet!!!!! Clementine
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

hi clementine, welcome to the forum :) social issues can be daunting! for example i am going out to dinner this coming friday - the way i plan to deal with it is eat some fruit beforehand and bring my own dressing (although its a good greek restaurant so maybe not necessary) and ask for a green salad. if they serve fresh squeezed orange juice then i'll be having that, otherwise i'll stick to water, but if i feel the need for something sweet i'll just add a bit of sugar to it. otherwise i'll just enjoy the evening. i always like to horse around a bit so i'm sure i'll be asking everyone a ton of embarassing questions while their mouths are full ;) if anyone asks why i'm not eating more then i'll just say i'm not feeling well (which in my case everyone understands b/c the reason i'm on the diet is chronic illness). in your case you could for example say that the particular food being offered makes you break out. so which situations are you worried about?
clementine

Post by clementine »

Hi claireelis,
thanks so much for your advice about what to order! well the social situations I am worried about are when I go to someone's house for dinner, or on dates, but you're right I should just be able to say that I have to be careful because certain foods make me break out- its just kind of embarrassing, and not always something that I want to share- for instance this guy I like keeps asking me out to a Lebanese restaurant (he is Lebanese) and Im afraid that I will offend him if I go and refuse to eat anything but salad!! I think its a bit easier to justify if you have a chronic illness, but for acne I think people wouldn't really understand or they would think its silly, plus not something you share with someone that you don't really know that well. also if I told my family how Im eating ( the wai diet) they would also think I was crazy and they would say acne is not caused by that, you need a balanced diet, etc. so Im sort of keeping it a secret and it makes it hard because Im always avoiding social-food situations. when you first started the diet, did anyone in your life object/ oppose it?
fictor

Post by fictor »

I have been eating "strange" foods for years! My friends laugh at me and my "silly" diets sometimes, and other times they admire my body, complement the way I look, or asks for advice on how to become "as healthy as you are".

Over time, I have had quite a few heavy discussions with people that does not know anything about nutrition and falsely claims that my way of living is somehow wrong.

These days, I have some minor trouble when going out to dinner, but my latest trick is to bring my own food. Then I tell the waiter that I have serious food allergies and ask if it is OK that I eat my own food. I have never been turned down on this one :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So far I've been able to go to restaurants and either get carpaccio (just the meat) or the salmon on the menu raw. I usually suggest to go to a japanese restaurant and most of the time that isn't a problem. I often does mean I'm having to explain about the diet, but that's always fun to do.

When it's unsure where we're going, I bring my own food just in case.

I guess we all learn to cope with the different circumstances through experience. :)
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Clementine, I can really feel your pain when it comes to dealing with parents and diet. When I was living at home I had a period where I was working out ALOT, weight training and ate proteinpowder and other stuff to help me get stronger, my parents thought it was steroids :lol: didnt matter what I said :roll: I also ate super healthy foods all the time (compared to them) and of couse then the eating-disorder questions came upp as well. But the important thing was that I continued cuz it made me feel good at the time and helped me achieve something with my body wich resulted in a great wellbeeing. The same for you; its your life and its to damn short to live it for someone else. So let them complain if they dont want to hear how good it is for you. You have been put on this earth for a limited number of days and YOU should make the very best of this short wonderful time for YOUR own wellbeeing.

When it comes to being out with friends or new people at resturants or dinner at someones house i just say im a raw vegetarian, to make a long story short, and order a big green sallad with all different raw veggies(wich I eat when out only) and/or fruits(love exotic fruits) they have in the kitchen, maybe some chives on, and oil (on the side). Since every resturant and normal household has fruits and veggies in the kitchen its never a problem and its always fun to see what combinations they bring out for me :D and it always tastes delishious! People dont seem to think my eating habits are any more strange then when I was a vegetarian before. They see the food brings wellbeeing to me, wich probably means ALOT + the attitude in general you have towards people when they ask you about it. To me its just fun when they say im 'crazy' we all laugh about it. But I can understand that it would be a problem if you are very young, since people (even friends) tend to be a bit more narrowminded at some ages (I dont know your age) but when those people have lived in the world for a bit longer they will have widend their horizons and found that life is about more then 'beeing like everybody else'.
Life is about wellbeeing.

When out partying its another thing tho since you always ingest most of the energy thru drinking I have found that sodas without caffeine (fanta, sprite etc) dont give me acne so I can perfecty sipp on them a whole evening - actually very easy and convenient to maintain bloodsugar with. Or as a last choice; some kind of fruitjuicedrink. And if there is no fluid in sight I always have my personal favourite fruit repacements with me where ever I go; small hard caramells with a great tuttifrutti taste and no protein, to suck on now and then too keep my bloodsugar up.

With all theese little sugar helpers i dont find it hard for one second to maintain the diet when out partying or travelling :)

Hope you ll fight thru the negativity people put on you!
clementine

Post by clementine »

MariaLinn, you are totally right about it being MY body and MY life. I guess I am just pretty sensitive about fitting in socially, and my family is always pretty concerned about my health. It will be MUCH easier when I move out, right now I am 20 years old and presently living at home. Thanks for the advice about social situations and restaurants, I think once I get a bit more used to the diet I will figure it out! In any case what I eat doesn't really concern anybody else so I should be able to do it. I just have to make sure that I'm always prepared with fruits, etc. so that my blood sugar doesn't get really low. I travel a lot, so its tough to always be the one that is a 'picky eater' and I really don't want to lose ANY weight so it can be stressful. Does anyone have any ideas for airplane foods that are ok on WAI?
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Thats the spirit! And I guarentee you that the longer you stay on the diet the more confident you will feel about it and that will definatly show, making people around you much more accepting about it. (Myself, I kinda think its fun to be the 'picky eater' ;D )

But I mean I could imagine if I was a parent and my child started eating fruits only then I would probably hit the seeling too, if I was a true SAD:er and hadnt red about wai or anything. So maybe we should have some patience with their acceptance as well.

I believe they only serve cooked vego-food when on airplains, atleast thats what I always got as a vegetarian before, sad to say, so I'll just bring a bunch of fruits or a box of home made cucumber, avocado, chives sallad the next time ill be flying.
clementine

Post by clementine »

thats a good idea! thanks for the tips MariaLinn. I showed my mom the Wai site and articles and even though she is still a bit skeptical, she isn't objecting to the way I am eating anymore, which is great.

I just have a couple of questions about the Acne sample diet, if anybody knows.... are cherries and strawberries OK on the sample diet? I know that Wai says berries are meant for birds, not humans, so they are less than perfect, but I really like to mix them with other fruits in the mornings (like bananas) so I hope I haven't been hindering the sample diet since my skin is still not quite clear yet. And if they are OK, does anyone know what the best combinations for berries are with other fruits?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I know strawberries are fine (if you have a choice, take organic ones), don't know about cherries. Seems to me they should be fine too.
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Youre welcome! Dont forget to also point out that alot of people(an entire forum) have been eating this way, some for a long time, with no other side effects to report then better skin/hair etc. :D - To me as a parent that would be a very convincing part.

I luve cherries, eat them all the time, and they dont effect my acne sensitive skin at all so I think they are ok as long as they are sweet. :)

Berries can more often (than fruits) be bittery-tasting and I think thats the reason why they are said to be avoided. Because those bittery tasting acids can easily cause allergic like reactions in people who are sensitive, giving you an acne like breakout but with much smaller red bumps close together, mostly around the mouth. (Correct me if im wrong) Atleast thats what I get from consuming bitter berries, citrus and sometimes pinapple.

Try consuming a tiny bit of bittery tasting berries, when your skin is clear, so you know if you are the sensitive kind or not, good to know about oneself.
CY

Post by CY »

clementine wrote:Does anyone have any ideas for airplane foods that are ok on WAI?
Most airline compaines are compliant with the following international meal codes:

FPML - Fruit Meal

RVML - Raw Vegetarian Meal

VGML - Vegan Meal

AVML - Asiatic Vegetarian Meal

VLML - Lacto/Ovo Vegetarian Meal

Depending on the company you are flying with, the method for applying for one of these meals varies. Some have a designated form for specific meals, whereas for others you must include the code in a "Special Requests" section when booking your flight. All companies require that any special meal requests be placed at least 24 hours in advance, and some may requre a request up to 72 hours in advance.

My experience: I have ordered a raw food meal and a fruit meal when flying on seperate ocasions. The raw food meal consisted of a decent salad, an apple, and carrots with (non-raw, my guess) dressing. For the fruit meal, I had the choice of a fruit bowl (not fresh, but not "packaged" fruit cup type) or apples and grapes, and I was offered cottage cheese (har har). Not the best, but I'm not going to complain: I was grateful for the convenience and the effort the companies put into establishing the meal system. Grade and complexity of the meal varies between companies. Many airlines offer very traditional vegetarian meals relating to that region (Indian, Hindu, other Asian, etc...)

Anyway, give it a try next time you're in the air.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to know! :)

Wonder what the 'P' in FPML stands for...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:Good to know! :)

Wonder what the 'P' in FPML stands for...
Plate (as in fruit plate)

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Se ... SSR)_Codes

here are a few more:

Examples of special meal SSR codes

AVML - Vegetarian Meal Requested
BBML - Baby/Infant Meal Requested
BLML - Bland Meal Requested
CHML - Child Meal Requested
DBML - Diabetic Meal Requested
FFML - Frequent Flyer Meal Requested
FPML - Fruit Plate Requested
GFML - Gluten Free Meal Requested
HFML - High Fiber Meal Requested
HNML - Hindu Meal Requested
JAIN - Jain Meal Requested (very strict vegetarian: No meat of any sort; no onion/garlic/ginger/all root vegetables; cooked Indian-style)
KSML - Kosher Meal Requested
LCML - Low Calorie Meal Requested
LFML - Low Cholesterol / Low Fat Meal Requested
LSML - Low Sodium / Low Salt Meal Requested
LPML - Low Protein Meal Requested
MOML - Muslim Meal Requested
NLML - Non-Lactose Meal Requested
ORML - Asian Meal Requested
PRML - Low Purin Meal Requested
RVML - Raw Vegetarian Meal Requested
SPML - Special Meal Requested
SPMLJAPANESE - Japanese meal requested
VGML - Vegetarian Non-Dairy Meal Requested
VLML - Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Meal Requested
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

CY wrote:[

Anyway, give it a try next time you're in the air.
Wonderful
I was poorly informed about this, thank you! :)