Newbie + random thoughts

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
kaheem
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Newbie + random thoughts

Post by kaheem »

Hi!
I've had bad facial acne since I'm a teenager. About 10 years ago I did a couple months of isotretinoin.. and like many, results were good at first, but my acne slowly came back. It's been really interfering with my life, to the point where I would avoid many social situations. I'm sure a lot of you here know what I'm talking about.

Last month I decided I was fed up with this situation so decided to try isotretinoin again. My derm instantly sold it to me when I went to see him, telling me there were no other options (I wonder how much kickbacks he gets from the Pharma companies).

I started the treatment and two days later was starting to have back pain and joint pain especially in my hands. Being a musician I found this unacceptable, and after reading so many horror stories I'm not willing to risk taking this chemotherapy drug again.

While researching the drug, I found out about the Wai diet. I found all the information really interesting, and it opened my eyes, because I always thought I wasn't eating that much unhealthy food.

I am now in my third week of the diet (no cooked foods whatsoever). The first 1.5 weeks I had nothing to press oranges so I was drinking pasteurized OJ. So I have been on the very strict diet for one week, and I can already see the difference in my skin, so it's very encouraging and I'm going to keep going at least until the end of the month, to see if I can get completely clear this way. For me this would be a revolution!

How do you guys manage your time on this diet? For me this is maybe the trickiest part, as it takes me at least an hour each day to shell enough nuts and juice enough oranges for me to eat/drink the next day.
I don't have a lot of free time so this is substantial. I realize that my health is worth a little time taking care of it, and I can easily keep this routine going for weeks, but long term, I don't know... you know some nights I don't feel like doing anything but then I won't have anything for the next day.

Also a question about fish. The guy at the store said none of his fish was sushi-grade and didn't recommend eating any raw, but I've had raw fresh farm based salmon from there a couple times without any problems. Is this OK? And how hard is it to not see a parasite? I inspect my fish very carefully but since I've never seen a worm I don't really know what I'm looking for. Can they be so small that you can't see them?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you to everyone who contributes to these forums!

kaheem
fictor

Re: Newbie + random thoughts

Post by fictor »

kaheem wrote: Also a question about fish. The guy at the store said none of his fish was sushi-grade and didn't recommend eating any raw, but I've had raw fresh farm based salmon from there a couple times without any problems. Is this OK? And how hard is it to not see a parasite? I inspect my fish very carefully but since I've never seen a worm I don't really know what I'm looking for. Can they be so small that you can't see them?
I use a lot of fish, some sushi/sashimi quality, and some not.
Here in Norway, all fish are pre-frozen (except a few types of fish, in
selected stores), but it has become clear that frozen fish does not
usually cause acne, so it should be safe to eat this. Deep freezing kills
the parasites.
kaheem

Post by kaheem »

Hi Fictor,
Thanks for the tip. I read some stuff on parasites which completely freaked me out.. so I think I'll avoid fish until after I'm clear, at which point I'll experiment with frozen fish!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It takes me 15 mins to squeeze around 1200ml OJ, 5 mins to prepare an avocado/tomato salad, and 5 mins to cut my fish. All that I can take with me, plus pieces of fruit like bananas and apples, if needed. Sometimes I squeeze OJ the evening before, just before getting to bed. The OJ works great during rehearsals and such.

Parasites aren't that difficult to see, and in all these years I've seen only one. Farmed salmon hardly has any parasites, so you can continue eating it without being afraid.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar,

How do you eat your fruits? I mean do you take a small bite then wait, eat the whole thing, or sip olive oil with them?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Normally I eat a banana combined with another fruit. Sometimes I add nothing, sometimes olive or coconut oil. I usually eat it over the course of 30 mins without oil, 45 mins with oil. If I eat a fruit on the road and don't have olive oil with me, I eat it the same way, depending how much energy I need. If I did bring olive oil I'd sip a little bit of oil per half a banana or so.

The times are rough approximations, I usually eat how much energy my body asks for.
kaheem

Post by kaheem »

I don't know how you guys can just "sip olive oil" like that.. I tried that and gagged.. had to force myself not to throw it up.. I can tolerate a little with some veggie salad though, but not alone or in my OJ.
fictor

Post by fictor »

It takes some time to get used to it. Also, it is important to get high quality olive oil, or else it will be bitter and unpalatable.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote: The times are rough approximations, I usually eat how much energy my body asks for.
I don't know how to tell how much my body is asking for.

Sometimes I'll find my self getting sleepy and eating will not wake me up or give me more en energy. I am not sleep deprived.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I don't know how to tell how much my body is asking for.
Not feeling as energetic is one of the first signs.
Sometimes I'll find my self getting sleepy and eating will not wake me up or give me more en energy. I am not sleep deprived.
Getting sleepy is one of the symptoms that you get after ignoring the first signs.
Your body may not respond because 'you have gone so far' already; a self-protecting 'slowing down' mode.
Then it helps to take in quite some energy (juice helps) and doing something physically active (like climbing the stairs) and taking in some more energy.