tips from athletes?...

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
martianwarrior
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by martianwarrior »

btw jondela1... i was asking seriously when i asked if you need others in order to do resistance stretching. i wasn't joking or trying to be sarcastic or ask stupid questions(although sometimes i have to). perhaps you missed that post on the stretching and flexibility. i figured you would have seen it since you found the time to mosey on over here to talk about martial arts. i was just wondering if you knew another way to do it. you seem to know about these things.

thanks
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

martianwarrior wrote:btw jondela1... i was asking seriously when i asked if you need others in order to do resistance stretching. i wasn't joking or trying to be sarcastic or ask stupid questions(although sometimes i have to). perhaps you missed that post on the stretching and flexibility. i figured you would have seen it since you found the time to mosey on over here to talk about martial arts. i was just wondering if you knew another way to do it. you seem to know about these things.

thanks
If I made you think that I wasn't taking you seriously then we failed to communicate. I didn't (or don't) think you are not asking seriously. I'm not upset or anything like that..

Check out this video to see solo resistance stretching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPMCu7WAzAe

Next time you are in a book store see if they have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Flexibilit ... 0743270878

It explains more about it and teaches how to do it alone.

Also, check this guy out: http://www.ironsports.tv/
specially these:
http://www.ironsports.tv/bryceomet.htm
http://www.ironsports.tv/flexo.html

I think he has a lot of great ideas some similar to res. stretching.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

cool, thanks very much. i'll check those out.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

youtube link didn't work... 'The URL contained a malformed video ID.'
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

silviya

Martial Arts

Post by silviya »

Since some of you guys are talking about martial arts, i have a question SO i am a female 22 years old super tall 5 10 tall and super skiny 110 lb. Ive been trying to gain weight for a while, and i decided to start working out, doing kickboxing? I hope that will shape me up building more muscle and helping me get more appetite to eat more and gain more weight? ANy inputs on kickboxing and gaining weight? or kickboxing itself?
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

Ive been trying to gain weight for a while, and i decided to start working out, doing kickboxing?
if anything, kickboxing will either make lose a little weight, (especially on this diet) remain the same weight or gain little weight. you will gain explosiveness, flexibility and coordination in your hands, arms, legs and feet. kickboxing by itself your body will become more toned overall.
I hope that will shape me up building more muscle and helping me get more appetite to eat more and gain more weight?
i don't know how long you've been on this diet or if you're on it at all, but the wai diet is all about eating for what you need energy for. you need to practice listening to what your body tells you... when you need energy you eat or sip from juice. it's not easy at first, but mastery of your energy management is possible with this diet. one of the goals of this diet is to not let your blood sugar drop low, allowing your muscles to be tapped into for energy. when you learn how to keep your blood sugar steady all day you will be able to gain strength much easier than before; you'll have more energy and stamina during workouts.
ANy inputs on kickboxing and gaining weight? or kickboxing itself?

first i have to ask... why have you chosen kickboxing? for fun? just for a good workout? self defense? to compete?

you should read up on a few different styles first. i really enjoy both muay thai, which is a kickboxing style from thailand and sanshou kickboxing which is a chinese style. here's a breif breakdown of all three styles...

American- Punches and kicks above the waist are the only techniques allowed in American Kickboxing. Sweeps, takedowns, and leg kicks are left to “international” styles of kickboxing, and are considered illegal techniques in American Kickboxing.

Sanshou- Sanshou adds the combat-oriented aspects of Chinese martial arts, including leg kicks, knee strikes, throws, takedowns, and limited groundwork.

Muay Thai- Similar to Sanshou but does not utilize takedowns, throws or groundwork. In Muay Thai there is a technique known as the clinch in wich opponents wrap the hands around the back of the head or neck in order to swing their opponents body into their knees.

of course all this depends on what schools you have close to where you live. both muay thai and american kickboxing are both very popular. another thing you be interested in and would compliment kickboxing, with self defense in mind, would jiu jistu or grappling. basically it's submission wrestling. you learn how to choke people out or break their arms and ankles. fun stuff! :D it will also help you too build strength and a very functional strength at that.

for gaining muscle... i'd try body-weight exercises and static holds. check this out... http://www.acneboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2122

btw, sipping juice during workouts is much better than eating. eating requires more energy from your digestive system. don't be afraid to add sugar to your juice either, it's just glucose and fructose which is pure energy for your brain and muscles. add a little olive oil and you're ready to go. sip throughout when you need energy. when you first try to do this you'll probably drink too much and get a stomach ache, i did that. just small sips 2-3 at a time every few minutes or so.

feel free to ask more questions and make sure you browse the forums, for there is so much info on this site. hope i didn't give you too much info all at once :lol:
silviya

Thank You

Post by silviya »

Thank You for the long replay to me,
The reason i choose kickboxing is because i went once to the class, and after the class i felt my body liked it. I felt total workout. Its also fun too. But i have access to gym it is in the building i live, but i dont know what to do that's my problem. ;( I go there i do a little bit of this a little bit of that and i know you need to be constant and have a repetitive system. I need a system? I have been researching over the internet for example of excersize and already written systems, but i couldnt find a complete thing. I am so lost at the gym. Any idea on how i should create my repetitive system.

So at the kickboxing lass atleast there is a teacher there and i really need to work my arms i though punching will help build muscles.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

I am so lost at the gym. Any idea on how i should create my repetitive system.
unless it's free, i'd say forget the gym. you can build muscle in the comfort of your home for free with little to no equipment. did you check out the 'building an olympic body' thread that i linked to? how do you feel about trying a body-weight routine? easy to keep up with, effective and in my opinion, fun!

So at the kickboxing lass atleast there is a teacher there and i really need to work my arms i though punching will help build muscles.
punching will help develope arm strength. you will likely feel the gains in quickness and explosiveness, but you might not see it. you won't really notice a bigger bicep or tricep, they will just feel tighter more solid and stronger.

with punching, there isn't any resistance. if you actually want to have noticeable strength gains and perhaps even gain a little weight, you need resistance. body-weight routines or using weights is a good way to do that. i'd start with your own body-weight first.
silviya

The Gym

Post by silviya »

The Gym in the building is free and it is very nice gym, but like i said i dont have a routine and dont know what to do there ;(
I would love to start lifhting weights, how can i make myself a routine ?

I actually have a 5 pound ball at home those little workout ball and i do excersizes as much as i can and know, but is not as following a routine.. ;(
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

the routine you create depends upon what you specifically want to accomplish... are you just focused on building arm strength, leg strength, overall strength?

make a list if you have to. from there, it will be easier to attack specific goals with specific exercises.
Mr. PC

Re: tips from athletes?...

Post by Mr. PC »

What do you guys think about Aikido, I was thinking about doing a $30 group session with this guy http://www.inspiredandfree.me/ It seems to be a martial art but the training isn't the training of a martial art, which I'd prefer, because the idea of fighting bores me. The guy who teaches it calls it the "most aggressive and arguably effective fighting style". Do you think that holds any water?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

There are many kinds of martial arts. It depends on what you're looking for, which one will fit you. So if you could explain a bit more, that'd help. For instance, 'why' do you want to do a martial art?
What I know from Aikido it's far away from being an aggressive style, and I think most martial arts teachers will call their style "the most effective".
I still think (Chi SIm) Wing Tjun is very effective as a practical style.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Basically I want to be able to defend myself and others, especially if I move to another (more dangerous) country, which is always a thought in the back of my mind. Also, I'm extremely week, 125lbs, and either 6' or 6'2" which is like 56.6 kg and 1.8 meters in metric. I'm also really squeamish and don't like fighting at all, so that's why I was thinking of a martial art that is something other than a martial art, because even though I know being able to fight can have long term practical benefits, I really don't 'want' to spend time learning how to fight, which is why things like Tai Chi or fighting/dancing hybrids appeal.
Also, I don't really have a ton of time, I want to prioritize music, reading, teaching, art, all the things I really care about, and get as much ability with as little time spent as possible. I doubt I'd ever get into a fight with another martial artist, I just need to be able to beat the 90% or whatever part of the population that doesn't do martial arts but is bigger than me.
I guess I was hoping there would be some kind of uber-scientific wai-equivalent of fighting technique.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, it seems you have conflicting motivations. You want to learn how to fight, but you don't. ;)
Learning how to effectively defend yourself takes some time, especially if you don't have any previous martial arts experience. This doesn't involve only the technique, but also learning to hit another person, and take hits yourself. T'ai Chi and equivalent inner styles are nice to look at, but are a bit like training for the 100m sprint by walking the distance every training.
Still, I'd have a look at a Wing Tjun school, as they tend to work on practical defense right in the beginning. And who knows, maybe you'll become 'addicted' to the Chi Sao practice, although that practice only starts after the practical street defense. ;)