Uric acid; burning urine and animal protein

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Uric acid; burning urine and animal protein

Post by fred »

I have noticed that when I eat meat (not fish) in the evening, especially dried or liver, my urine burns the next morning. I suspect it is the acidic waste products from protein metabolism (uric acid...) that make my urine burns.

When I was on a carnivorous diet, I could eat way more meat without this problem. It seems that my ability to handle protein is reduced on this high fruit diet. Which is logical of course, as the body adapts to the food.

Any hint or explanation for that trouble ?
fred

Post by fred »

On a carnivorous diet, I had sometimes gout like symptoms (pain in my fingertips, burning urine, etc.) if I eat too much meat, especially organs (rich in purines).
RRM
Administrator

Re: Burning urine and animal protein

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:I suspect it is the acidic waste products from protein metabolism (uric acid...) that make my urine burns.
That makes sense to me.
When I was on a carnivorous diet, I could eat way more meat without this problem.
Its often (with many conditions) that the tolerance level of the body decreases with time.
If you have an issue with uric acid, its normal that with time, your body will no longer tolerate 'high' levels.
It seems that my ability to handle protein is reduced on this high fruit diet. Which is logical of course, as the body adapts to the food.
Yes, i agree.
However, it may also simply be (or a combination of the two) that your body prefers the lower intake of protein,
and will therefore react more profoundly to higher intakes.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:
When I was on a carnivorous diet, I could eat way more meat without this problem.
Its often (with many conditions) that the tolerance level of the body decreases with time.
If you have an issue with uric acid, its normal that with time, your body will no longer tolerate 'high' levels.
My carnivorous diet ended last year, so I don't think my tolerance has decreased during the last few months. I had already noticed these last 10 years that my protein tolerance decreases the more I eat fruits.
Pure fructose consumption is linked to high uric acid (http://www.beatinggout.com/2009/06/gout ... orn-syrup/).
My father has the tendancy to have gout when he eats red meat.
It seems that my ability to handle protein is reduced on this high fruit diet. Which is logical of course, as the body adapts to the food.
Yes, i agree.
However, it may also simply be (or a combination of the two) that your body prefers the lower intake of protein,
and will therefore react more profoundly to higher intakes.
It is clear that I didn't need so much protein (I have not lost muscles with the Wai diet). But I wonder if so few protein is enough for me now (I am quiet active).
fred

Post by fred »

Just an idea : nowadays I don't est a lot of fat. I may reduce my sugar intake, increase my fat intake, to improve my protein tolerance.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, that might work.
gianni

Post by gianni »

Fred, please let us know how protein tolerance goes for you with reducing sugar and increasing fat as I have a similar problem.

Thanks,
Betsy
fred

Post by fred »

Unfortunately I can't increase my fat consumption for now, otherwise my heart rhythm gets disturbed.

If I increase my protein consumption a little bit, 2 more egg yolks for example (from 6 to 8), I get pain in my fingertips (inflammation) the next day. On a high sugar diet, my body seems very sensitive to protein!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Personally I wouldn't call 2 extra egg yolks "a little bit". Number wise maybe, but suddenly consuming 2 extra yolks isn't nothing. ;)
fred

Post by fred »

Oscar wrote:Personally I wouldn't call 2 extra egg yolks "a little bit". Number wise maybe, but suddenly consuming 2 extra yolks isn't nothing. ;)
You are right, small but nutrient dense! :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: Uric acid; burning urine and animal protein

Post by RRM »

Wabner CL and Pak CY.
"orange juice should be beneficial in the control of calcareous and uric acid nephrolithiasis."
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

I find my urine burns some in the mornings after nights where I don't drink any water or eat any of the more watery fruits... You may try a glass of water with your meat next time and see what happens.
fred

Post by fred »

Fructose Intolerance triggers gout. Fructose Intolerance (FI) is a rare (one in 20,000) hereditary disease caused by body's lack of certain enzyme. When an FI patient consumes fructose and sucrose, they raise the blood uric acid level and cause gout. The treatment of FI is to avoid food and drinks that contain fructose, sucrose, and sorbitol. In certain cases, a patient can take uric acid lowering drugs to lower the uric acid level to prevent gout attacks."
If one is hereditary susceptible to gout, fruits may evoke it, as in that case fructose can raise the blood urate level.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Just found this:
"Ten healthy subjects who swim regularly in ice-cold water during the winter (winter swimming), were evaluated before and after this short-term whole body exposure. A drastic decrease in plasma uric acid concentration was observed during and following the exposure to the cold stimulus. We hypothesize that the uric acid decrease can be caused by its consumption after formation of oxygen radicals. In addition, the erythrocytic level of oxidized glutathione and the ratio of oxidized glutathione/total glutathione also increased following cold exposure, which supports this hypothesis. Furthermore, the baseline concentration of reduced glutathione was increased and the concentration of oxidized glutathione was decreased in the erythrocytes of winter swimmers as compared to those of nonwinter swimmers. This can be viewed as an adaption to repeated oxidative stress, and is postulated as mechanism for body hardening. Hardening is the exposure to a natural, e.g., thermal stimulus, resulting in an increased tolerance to stress, e.g., diseases. Exposure to repeated intensive short-term cold stimuli is often applied in hydrotherapy, which is used in physical medicine for hardening."

Cold exposure lower uric acid, and may help with gout.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Little off topic maybe, but I always get an unstoppable need to pee when I'm exposed to cold water. Almost instantly.