Sugar gives me headache

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sugar gives me headache

Post by fred »

Since I started to add white sugar to my orange juice & olive oil, 4 tbs in 1L, I experience headache.
The sugar is refined, white, bought in a supermarket.
Are there different qualities of white sugar ?
Is 4 tbs too much to start with ?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Sugar gives me headache

Post by Oscar »

4 tbsp per liter is a lot, but I don't really see why that should be a problem. Are you sure it's the sugar that causes the headache? How does your daily diet look like with the added sugar?
fred

Post by fred »

In addition to the juice & olive oil, I eat fruits and coconut oil during the day, and egg yolks or fish in the evening.
fred

Post by fred »

Unless it is the orange juice. I buy freshly squeeze orange juice that has been stabilized at low temperature by high pressure. The shelf life (refrigerated) is 16 days, 2 days once opened.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its not that much sugar, but it can be the sugar if you have a very sensitive serotonin system.
No differences between various white sugars, in my experience.
Sugar stimulates the uptake of tryptophan into the brain, for conversion into serotonin.
Relative 'overexposure' of serotonin (due to high sensitivity) may in theory cause headaches.
In order to draw any valid conclusions you need to do a bit more lengthy experiment.
Could you try to do a 1-week on and off experiment?
For one week your diet includes consuming OJ with sugar (and a few drops of oil) every day.
The next week you consume the same diet, but without the juice. (and no sugar added to anything else)

Other than serotonin, your headache may also be the result of a sensitivity to various amines.
(including serotonin in fruits)
But let us try the sugar and OJ first.
fred

Post by fred »

Actually, I have introduced OJ only one week ago. Before I did not have headache.
The first liter I drank was without added sugar : no headache.
So I strongly suspect the sugar, but I'll do this experiment anyway.

Is the freshly squeeze orange juice that has been stabilized at low temperature by high pressure OK on the Wai diet ? (It tastes pretty like homemade orange juice.)
fred

Post by fred »

Honey does not give me headache.

Maybe I am sensitive to the chemical residues in the white sugar (I have not eaten white sugar for 15 years or more...)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote: The first liter I drank was without added sugar : no headache.
So I strongly suspect the sugar, but I'll do this experiment anyway.
I understand your suspicion, but this really requires much more data, indeed.
Is the freshly squeeze orange juice that has been stabilized at low temperature by high pressure OK on the Wai diet ?
I honestly dont know. I know too little about this process.
However, if it really 'stabilizes' the OJ, its probably not good for ppl who are very susceptible to acne.
Maybe I am sensitive to the chemical residues in the white sugar
Do you have some data about these residues?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Pure sucrose crystallines (fructose+glucose) are naturally white.
As long as the sugar is not white, it still contains impurities.

To make white sugar, first, a film of molasses is removed from the crystals in centrifuge machines.
Next, the sugar crystals are melted in hot water and screened to remove crude trash.
Then the liquid sugar is filtered through sweetened cloth, which even removes bacteria.
Then phosphoric acid is added to release the iron in sugar.
The liquid sugar is put through charcoal filters, and the impurities (including iron, phosphoric acid) stick to the char filter.
Then the liquid sugar is concentrated by boiling in vacuum pans and spun in centrifuges to separate syrup from crystals.
The last syrup is removed by spraying with hot water.
In a granulator, the crystals are broken down to uniform size.
Eventually, all that remains is pure sucrose, without any iron, protein, or other (an)organic residues.
To get brown sugar, molasses are added back in.
fred

Post by fred »

Yes, white sugar is a highly processed stuff, it is why I prefer to avoid it. Raw honey can efficently replace it, it just requires more shaking in the OJ (and more money :( ) . I get no headache with OJ+honey+oil, so I'll stick to it.

Another reason for me to not take white sugar is that I eat white rice (for 3 days) and I don't want to cumulate "empty calories". I get bored of the sweet taste from fruits all day and I don't like the taste of oil+fruit or oil alone. And fruits has too much fibers for my stomach anyway. I also don't want to drink more than 1.5L of juice everyday because it makes me urinate a lot! I can't eat nuts (and seldom avocado). Is white rice with lots of olive oil OK as a munch food ? I know cooked food is not healthy, but I don't see other way to get enough calories (do you?).

thank's!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Is white rice with lots of olive oil OK as a munch food ?
It contains more protein (cooked: 2.4 to 2.7%) than rice noodles (cooked: 0.9%),
cooked sweet potato (1.4%) or boiled potatoes (cooked: 1.7%), for example,
so that the rice noodles are the best candidate.
fred

Post by fred »

Regarding protein, rice noodle is better, but regarding antinutrients, potato is better. (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247).
Maybe the best to do is to alternate them ?