Newbie Concerns

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
livingegg
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Newbie Concerns

Post by livingegg »

Hello all. I'm completely new to the wai diet, and somewhat intrigued. I've suffered from cystic acne for years and would be impressed if I could eliminate it through diet alone. But I'm confused and doubtful on some aspects of the diet, and I want to get some theoretical points cleared up before I fully engage. So here goes with a few:

1. Balancing the fruit with fat seems a pretty important aspect of the diet. So much so that if the fat part was not properly executed then the diet falls apart. But based on what I've read, it seems that olive oil (cold pressed xtra virgin) is the only staple source of fat for this diet. That seems strange to me, because the olive oil is "man made". Not to say that man-made is "bad" - because its not - but what is the evolutionary explanation for how we got our fat in the good 'ol days before we had olive oil? And if there are good naturally occuring sources of fat then why aren't they used in this diet?

2. I live in a landlocked state and do not have daily or weekly access to fresh sashimi. Are egg yolks alone sufficient as a protein staple?

3. I have been kind of randomly trying out parts of this diet, whenever it occurs to me, for the last week. But the (subjective) impression I've got as a result of my experimentation has been that this is pretty much an all or nothing diet, and that doing some aspects but not all (for example trying to live off of the fruit and protein without the fat, or doing 1-3 big fruit binges a day as opposed to small meals all day) will destroy the efficacy of the diet, or even worse, could be harmful or dangerous (eg: muscle loss, blood/sugar problems, etc). Would anyone say this is relatively true, and if so, what are the most dangerous pitfalls or cases of mis-use to look out for?

4. Is there anywhere I can see a photos of people who successfully live off of this diet? A picture is worth a thousand words!

Many thanks!

-Greg
dime

Re: Newbie Concerns

Post by dime »

Hi Greg,
1. ...
Because it's convenient?
2. ...
Should be, but don't forget about nuts. You might be missing some essential omega 3 fats though
3. ...
Yes, but this would be true for any diet. Most important aspects in my 1-2 week experience so far are proper energy management and proper teeth/tongue care.
4. ...
No idea about this. Not sure what would a picture tell you though :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome. :)
ad 1) Not just olive oil, other oils like (extra virgin) coconut oil and avocado oil are equally healthy. Early humans probably got their fat from fruits, animal protein and nuts, but we don't know that for sure. The Wai is not a natural diet, because we try to optimize energy management and nutrients for health. Giving the body what it needs, when it needs it.
ad 2) You could look into ordering sashimi online, if that's an option. Egg yolks (and maybe nuts) should otherwise be sufficient.
ad 3) It depends how far you'd go, what your motivation is, etc. Every step helps, but the full version is the most optimal one. Not eating (often) enough is the mistake most people make, so energy management.
ad 4) You can find some here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=130
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

livingegg wrote: I've suffered from cystic acne for years
So did I. I had cysts on my back that could have a one or 1.5 inch diameter.
Balancing the fruit with fat seems a pretty important aspect of the diet.
More so when not physically active and when consuming bigger meals.
Not so much when you are physically active and consuming small meals.
it seems that olive oil (cold pressed xtra virgin) is the only staple source of fat for this diet.
No, avocado and nuts, and egg yolks, tuna, salmon etc contain quyite some fats.
You may also consume another extra virgin oil.
That seems strange to me, because the olive oil is "man made".
This diet is not about whether food is man-made, or not.
Refined sugar is included.
what is the evolutionary explanation for how we got our fat in the good 'ol days
Many aspects of this diet is about what is convenient now.
Not about what we would have consumed in the ol' days.
(this would also have been very different depending on the location)
do not have daily or weekly access to fresh sashimi.
It doesnt have to be fresh.
Tuna generally has been previously frozen anyway,
and you can also buy packs of frozen salmon, for example,
it the source is reliable (buy in a high-end supermarket)
Are egg yolks alone sufficient as a protein staple?
Yes.
In the long run, however, you will want to have all omega-3s available, though,
from fish.

the (subjective) impression I've got as a result of my experimentation has been that this is pretty much an all or nothing diet
correct.
what are the most dangerous pitfalls or cases of mis-use to look out for?
1. consuming not enough meals / not consuming meals frequently enough
2. not consuming enough energy in total
3. not adhering to one of the rules
4. trying out munch foods before your skin is totally clear.
A picture is worth a thousand words!
Sure, but a thousand pictures still doesnt prove anything.
Your skin will be the only proof you can rely on.
Just try, you have nothing to lose.