Doctor approved?

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
eirrene
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Doctor approved?

Post by eirrene »

Hello,
I am so fascinated by this diet! I am about 99% convinced to try it out....but I have a couple of questions before I do:
I don't mean to sound pretentious, but I was wondering if this diet has been approved by a doctor for safety?/Are there any doctors who recommend it?
What is the longest amount of time somebody has been on this diet and what were the results?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Doctor approved?

Post by Oscar »

Indirectly, yes.
I think RRM has been on this diet for more than 15 years.
For me (5.5 yrs) it's (been) as amazing as it looks. You can also ask my mom (5 yrs), who turned 80 last week, and has been very healthy on the diet. She never gets tired, doesn't take any pills and all check-ups have been fine.
I could think of a number of things most doctors would not approve of, like the lack of fiber, veggies and the amount of ingested cholesterol and simple sugars. So far though, when presented with the results, they have to admit people are healthy.
eirrene

Post by eirrene »

Oscar wrote:For me (5.5 yrs) it's (been) as amazing as it looks. You can also ask my mom (5 yrs), who turned 80 last week, and has been very healthy on the diet. She never gets tired, doesn't take any pills and all check-ups have been fine.
I could think of a number of things most doctors would not approve of, like the lack of fiber, veggies and the amount of ingested cholesterol and simple sugars. So far though, when presented with the results, they have to admit people are healthy.
Thanks so much for your quick reply Oscar. I'm honestly not doubting the effectiveness of the diet, I'm just trying to get as many perspectives as I can. I thought a lot about your response today and had a breakthrough (maybe). About a year ago, I remembered reading an article about how bitter melon actually decreases breast cancer cell growth. I also vaguely remembered the article talking about blood sugar and cholesterol. Well, I dug up the article to find out I was right! Bitter melon does actually help to support normal blood sugar AND supports normal triglycerides and cholesterol levels. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, but could consuming bitter melon be a way to address doctors' concerns for cholesterol/simple sugars while still adhering to Wai's rules? (Bitter melon is an edible fruit, so I'm assuming it is allowed)
eirrene

Post by eirrene »

Here's an article about the blood sugar/cholesterol benefits. ( it lists some other awesome benefits ;) )

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18283 ... ter-gourd/
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

Eirrene: It is an article about bitter-gourd and how it can LOWER your cholesterol? Did I miss something? It is not about benefits of cholesterol?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

To put it very simply, diabetes is a matter of energy management (even in diabetes 1 it can lower the insulin need), and cholesterol is good for us (http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-cholesterol.html). I'm not sure if this is a bitter tasting fruit like the name suggests, but in general bitter and sour are indications that the fruit is either unripe or not for consumption/medicinal.
eirrene

Post by eirrene »

Ok, I think I misunderstood. I thought Oscar meant that doctors had a concern with the LEVELS of cholesterol and sugar consumed by this diet. Bitter gourd (bitter melon) is said to SUPPORT sustain normal blood sugar and cholesterol in the blood. But like I said, I am not a doctor so I don't think I have a full grasp of the issue. However, I did a little bit more digging last night and I found out that bitter melon is ALSO used for acne because of it's anti-inflammatory effects. Interesting, no? http://www.livestrong.com/article/30803 ... -for-acne/
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

What doctors believe isn't necessarily what we believe is correct. Even when 'standard' biochemistry knowledge indicates otherwise, doctors tend to keep repeating what the consensus of the majority is. So yes, they would say this diet contains far too much cholesterol and simple sugars.
waipete

Post by waipete »

Isn't raw cholesterol good for you?
And cooked cholesterol bad for you?
A misconception, or wordplay?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

eirrene wrote:Bitter gourd (bitter melon) is said to SUPPORT sustain normal blood sugar and cholesterol in the blood.
Thats what your body does.
It regulates blood sugar through the insulin-glucagon-somatostatin system, and you may preserve that system by consuming small meals very frequently.
It regulates blood cholesterol through the cholesterol-bile acids cycle, and you may preserve that system by consuming no oxysterols.
When we take in drugs to "sustain normal blood sugar and cholesterol in the blood", we interfere with those natural systems.
Unwise.
I found out that bitter melon is ALSO used for acne because of it's anti-inflammatory effects. Interesting, no?
If you want to treat symptoms, you can use any anti-inflammatory drug.
If you want to prevent inflammations, you use this diet.
waipete wrote:Isn't raw cholesterol good for you?
And cooked cholesterol bad for you?
Yes, but drs generally dont know that cholesterol gets oxidized due to heat,
so that they have only one word for the entire (oxy)cholesterol family: "cholesterol".
overkees

Post by overkees »

I have a housemate who studies biochemistry and he knows the whole cholesterol story and he is the only one in my house who approves my yolk binching :). I live with 14 other people.

For more of carbs and fats and their effect on cholesterol, i suggest this link: http://www.heretical-health.info/lipids ... teins.html
dime

Post by dime »

My girlfriend also studies biochemistry but still has no clue about the cholesterol and doesn't really approve me eating 7-8 yolks/day.. where's your friend studying, I should send her there :D
And she is especially freaked out about bacteria and parasites..
overkees

Post by overkees »

In Utrecht, The Netherlands. He's got his bachelor and going for his master title now. He's in fact the only one I can talk to who understands why I do this diet.

Why he doesn't do it is: A) The cost of this diet. B) He relativates everything and says it may be healthier than other diets but doesn't believe it's so much of a difference when considering a cooked healthy diet consisting of grains, vegetables, lean meat and fruit. He thinks I'm too obsessive when it comes to health. And states that reducing stress is much more important than diet. C) He enjoys the taste of those foods too much.

I can't convince him of the fact that if you're addicted to food, you're putting a lot of stress on yourself. And that eating big meals is also big stress for your body. He only agrees with me on this if I can show to him that there are research results about this and compare this to stress caused by the normal stress factors in every day live.
dime

Post by dime »

Hehe quite similar, B) and C), not sure about A) I mean a 'healthy' cooked diet would probably cost similarly. Except that the grains are cheaper I guess.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oh man, im so much looking forward to the day that we can test this in rats.
(groups fed their same natural food, one cooked, one cooked plus supplement, one raw)