Hyperglycemia

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
IrisVDD
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Hyperglycemia

Post by IrisVDD »

Dear,

I'm new on the diet. I think I'm not doing it right but I 'm also concerned.
When you eat fat after glucose/fructose, can't it cause hyperglycemia?
Sunday I drank 1 liter orange juice in 10 minutes with too much OO. I was really tired after that and I felt a sleep. When I woke up and putted my glasses on. I didn't saw well. Everything stayed blurred. This can happen with hyperglycemia. So I was concerned.
I know now that drinking a lot of juice in one time isn't good, but when I'm thirsty or hungry its really hard to stop myself.
For me I found it difficult to balance oil and sugar intake ( despite the calculator), so I put always a lot of oil in my juices/salad. Or I eat OO /coconut oil after eating a fruit.
But I am wondering than about the hyperglycemia. I was than thinking to maybe skip the most of the time the juices (where the intake of fructose is really quick and high + I'm also concerning about mine teeths because of the acid) and just eating bananas, avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and different lettuces.

When I'm drinking OO, I feel it in my throat. I read this problem in the old FAQ, but I buy always high quality OO. I bought already different OO's made in different countries and it is the same.

Is it normal that I consume in 1 week 500 ml OO and about 300 ml coconut oil? I know it is depending on the fructose intake and I know that perhaps I'm eating too much oil, but I wondering of this lifestyle is healthy.

I know eating herrring it's not OK, but what about matie or maties herring. In Belgium it's the season of maties! I eat a lot of maties, because I thought it is raw.

Honestly I was two weeks ago only 4 days completely on the diet. Than I was and still some days 80/90%/100% on the diet. A dear friend of mine died, a birthday diner and backpack travelling were the reasons about my failures. I find it difficult to maintain, when there is no routine in a certain period in life.
When I go on a restaurant I ask for salad with salmon or tuna. TBut often the salmon is smoked and on the tuna there is salt. So that is ....not OK? I take than mine little bottle of OO and put it on my salad....of course people are staring :D ... . So what are you eating than in a regular restaurant?

I know peeling is not good. But what about facial and body brushing? It stimulates the lymphatic system of the skin, so I was thinking that local waterretention can go away. But a facial brush does also have a soft peeling effect......

Hopefully someone can answer on mine questions. Tomorrow I'm continue travelling, so maybe I can't response very quick.
But thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Iris
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Hyperglycemia

Post by Oscar »

Hyperglycemia can only be caused if something isn't right with your insulin system, commonly happening with diabetes. One of the causes is a regular prolonged insulin spike after a big meal. This is something we can avoid by only replenishing blood sugar, thus minimizing the need for extra insulin. Hence the reason for eating very small meals or taking sips of juice.

It seems to me you're eating quite a lot of fat/oil at the moment. How did you arrive at such an amount?

Herring is never freshly raw, as it's always frozen and will be thawed throughout the year, but it's also very salty. We don't yet know if the salt has any harmful effects on the fish. Have you tried salmon (sashimi)? Smoked salmon is not OK, but tuna with salt should be, if it's raw. In a regular restaurant there are sometimes options like carpaccio, although it's not always raw. If they have salmon on the menu, you can try asking for it raw (I've done that). Alternatively an avocado/tomato/cucumber salad.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

IrisVDD wrote: Sunday I drank 1 liter orange juice in 10 minutes with too much OO
Thats too much at once. (with or without oil)
On a regular diet you eat only a few meals a day.
On this diet you constantly sip a bit of juice over a prolonged period of time.
Thats because the foods in this diet are readily digested (short sugars, little antinutrients).
With a normal diet it takes much longer (hours, and even up to days) before the food is digested and the energy released in your blood.
I was really tired after that and I felt a sleep.
Yes, much like after a Christmas or Thanksgiving meal.
when I'm thirsty or hungry its really hard to stop myself.
Thats because you are a beginner.
You are not in tune with your energy requirements yet.
With a normal diet, you listen to thirst and hunger ('rumbling stomach')
With this diet, you listen to your immediate energy requirements.
With time it gets easier, as you learn to listen.
... just eating bananas, avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and different lettuces.
Cucumber, carrots and lettuce are very low in energy,
so that you will have to eat constantly, and will feel bloated because of all the fiber.
To a lesser extend, the same applies to eating just whole fruits in general.
The more juice you drink, the easier it gets (and the more energetic you will feel)
When I'm drinking OO, I feel it in my throat.
Simply add little oil.
I add just a few drops / liter.
You just need a few drops to prevent acid reflux.
Is it normal that I consume in 1 week 500 ml OO and about 300 ml coconut oil?
No, thats a lot.
I eat a lot of maties, because I thought it is raw.
Its raw, but extremely salty, causing water retention.
But what about facial and body brushing? It stimulates the lymphatic system of the skin, so I was thinking that local waterretention can go away.
Water retention is caused by molecules retaining water, not by a lack of activity by the lymphatic system.
"Stimulating the lymphatic system" cannot prevent or undo water retention, even if that 'brushing' was 100-fold more stimulating.
So, it will not even help a tiny little bit.
what are you eating than in a regular restaurant?
You can eat any Wai-food available.
If the only acceptable food that they have is a salad, thats what you eat.
If it seems to much trouble to get truly raw meat/fish, dont bother,
because you have the meat/fish that you need at home,
for a much lower price.
Going to a restaurant is a social occasion; not to fulfill your nutrient requirements.
And its not uncommon for people to just eat a salad when they have dinner in a restaurant.
You can always say that you already ate.

I hardly ever go out to eat in restaurants other than sushi restaurants,
but when i do, i eat a salad.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

What would be the downside of too much oil? I eat about 100ml OO a day, and try to increase it wherever I can, because I feel that is an easy way to get calories without spiking insulin (fat is released slowly). I find when I have lots of OO in my juice, it lasts significantly longer.

Wouldn't high fat content be especially good for someone with diabetes, or hypoglycemia?

If you don't want to taste the OO so much, juice a banana with your OJ, and it will mix in.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:What would be the downside of too much oil?
A relatively low intake of omega-3.
And the same as for consuming much sugar: a relatively low intake of vitamins etc associated with juices / foods.
Wouldn't high fat content be especially good for someone with diabetes, or hypoglycemia?
A high fat intake makes it easier indeed, but not necessarily better.
You still need those sugars coming in all the time.
So, your meals need to be small enough, and your meal intake sufficiently frequent.
dime

Post by dime »

From the research I've read, the stomach releases food at a pretty constant rate (in terms of calories), it is not as if it releases all its contents (once its work is done) into the intestines.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 766.x/full
Gastric emptying is so controlled that about 2 to 4 kcal/min (8.4 to 16.8 kJ/min) caloric content is delivered to the duodenum through a negative feedback mechanism mediated by the duodenal receptors.
But there are of course a lot more factors than just calories, and smaller meals are definitely better from every point of view.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ok, so if you're consuming a lot of oil (I do) you need to also consume more omega3 to keep a healthy balance of fat? In that case you should eat more salmon? Would omega3 eggs be ok for that? What about an omega 3 supplement? I find a high oil content makes things a lot easier for me, and would prefer not to reduce it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:From the research I've read, the stomach releases food at a pretty constant rate (in terms of calories), it is not as if it releases all its contents (once its work is done) into the intestines.
2 to 4 kcal/min is not constant at all.
4 is twice as much as 2.
The question is:
Does the size of the meal influence the speed of the uptake of calories?
Yes, or no?
Mr. PC wrote:Ok, so if you're consuming a lot of oil (I do) you need to also consume more omega3 to keep a healthy balance of fat?
yes
dime

Post by dime »

RRM wrote: The question is:
Does the size of the meal influence the speed of the uptake of calories?
Yes, or no?
Yes, many factors determine this, size of meal, liquidity, fat content, etc.
The rate of energy delivery is faster with the larger meal.