Newbie seeking your Help!

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
Karen
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Newbie seeking your Help!

Post by Karen »

Hi thank you for giving me the the opportunity to seek help.At this point, I'm kinda of a self imposed diet Guinea pig seeking to get adopted. Currently leaving DrDoug Graham's 80-10-10 diet which I've been on for a month...may not seem like a long time, but everything is relative as, after dosing my salad in olive oil today I finally got my digestive system working effectively! Thank you!
I'm sure I need a quality fat for not only my digestive system but a host of other things as well but right now Im just sooo glad to have found this diet! But, I have a few questions which Im hoping someone can help answer.
My questions are the following. Let me fist express my concern for perhaps posting in the wrong area, please advice if I have!
I'm confused - why does the "sample" diet for both men and women on the site differ from that in the book? The book states I need to eat approximately 4lbs of fruit, with a salad, of course, with ample cold pressed olive oil etc.; whereas, the "sample" diet not only does not mention this but list a typical day as having one banana with oil, or an apple etc. ...what happen to my 4 lbs of fruit:)
Next, after reading lots of posts..thank you again...I hear tidbits of things like adding oil directly to your oj, walking for an hour but making sure to stop to take an oj break,and,or mention of staying true to a " sample" diet.
I don't know I just feel like I'm missing a resource link or something?
Lastly, should I have a fruit smoothies with 3/4 bananas and dates or is that too much, and that's the other thing, now that I think about it, in the book there was no mention of portion control for blood sugar levels? But I digress, should I feed myself energy before I go for a two hour walk in the morning as I'd like to maintain my weight but get rid of my buttock's cellulite.
Again, if I've posted on a wrong thread my apologies, but I do hope someone responds!:) thank you!
RRM
Administrator

Re: Newbie seeking your Help!

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:I'm confused - why does the "sample" diet for both men and women on the site differ from that in the book? The book states I need to eat approximately 4lbs of fruit, with a salad, of course, with ample cold pressed olive oil etc.; whereas, the "sample" diet not only does not mention this but list a typical day as having one banana with oil, or an apple etc. ...what happen to my 4 lbs of fruit:)
One banana or one apple?
Where does it say so?
Yes, this diet is about eating loads of fruits, or better: its juices (to prevent bloating from fiber)
I don't know I just feel like I'm missing a resource link or something?
For what exactly?
That you need to replenish your blood sugar whenever it goes down?
should I have a fruit smoothies with 3/4 bananas and dates or is that too much
No, its not too much.
Too much fiber, maybe. So, its better to extract the juice than blending the fruits.
no mention of portion control for blood sugar levels?
How much you need, will always differ.
Its about replenishing what got lost.
The moment the blood sugar goes down, you need to replenish it to prevent weight loss.
(consuming too little energy is mistake #1 on this diet, resulting in weight loss)
If glycogen stores (spare glucose in the liver and muscles) need to be replenished,
you will need much more energy than when just replenishing blood sugar.
So, how big your meal should be, depends on how much energy you need.
Therefore, you cannot look at the size of the meal, but you should focus on your energy needs instead.
So, you should train yourself to listen to your energy requirements.
Usually, we listen to our stomach (is it empty? / rumbling?).
Instead, we should focus on how much energy we feel is inside our blood.
The moment that energy goes down, you need to replenish it.
Feeling less energetic, less happy, is a sign of your blood energy going down.
Feeling tired and even depressed is a sign your have ignored those warning signals too long.
should I feed myself energy before I go for a two hour walk in the morning as I'd like to maintain my weight but get rid of my buttock's cellulite.
If there is plenty of glycogen in your muscles, thats what your muscles will use during that walk,
so need to bulk up before hand.
However, after using up muscle-glycogen, you need to replenish it by consuming extra energy (more than required to replenish blood sugar). So, if you need munch foods, that's the right time to consume them!
If you don't, you will feel weak next time you go walking.
If you feel weak, you constantly need to sip some juice while walking.
The cellulite will go away by eliminating water retention. (by following this diet)
Again, if I've posted on a wrong thread my apologies
Its perfectly ok here.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you so much for your time, energy and wisdom RRM. I really mean that as I feel like...with this diet... I've found a gold mine. Here's a copy of what I read that recently confused me about the quantities of fruit intake, I had found it under Wai Diet- 3 links in, under example( if that makes sense?)
Examples
Here are some examples of what a daily consumption could look like.

Example 1
Male, 42, 1.71m/5'7.5", 57kg/126lbs, moderately active, 2000 kcal

1 banana, 1 apple, olive oil
0.5 liter/1 pint OJ, 4 tbsp sugar, olive oil
0.5 avocado, 2 cherry tomatoes, olive oil
100gr/0.22lbs salmon/mackerel or 4 egg yolks
0.5 liter/1 pint OJ, 4 tbsp sugar, olive oil
1 banana, 1 pear, olive oil

OJ is sipped over the course of a few hours. Olive oil amounts to 71ml/2.41 fluid ounces per day.

Example 2
Female, 75, 1.52m/5'1", 47kg/104lbs, moderately active, 1950 kcal

1 glass OJ, 1 egg yolk, 3gr/0.11oz sugar, olive oil
1 banana, 0.5 pear, some raisins, olive oil
5 walnuts (sometimes)
0.5 banana
1 glass OJ, 3gr/0.11oz sugar, olive oil
0.5 avocado, lemon juice, olive oil
1 glass OJ, 3gr/0.11oz sugar, olive oil
50gr/0.11lbs salmon, lemon juice

I'm coming from Dr,Garaham's 80/10/10 (assuming your familiar with it!) ,and before that McDougalls diet and before that the Paleo diet, so I've either restricted carbohydrates or fat, but never protein. I can give you first hand experience that restricting either of those two variables leads to suffering. Although, I've only been on this diet for a week, my skin and digestive systems are flourishing. I am, however, struggling with understanding my energy needs and teeth issues. Constantly reading old and new threads, however, has helped me considerably, so I thank you for leaving them up and for keeping this site alive!
" the moment blood sugar goes down, you need to replenish ..."
When I'm sipping fresh OJ with OO...am I still really not sure I understand the ratio- 1.5 liters of OJ 3/4 cup OO?.. I feel shaky, maybe, as if it's too much sugar, glucose or fructose for me? I don't get this feeling when I'm eating bananas dunked in OO? Do you think I need more OO in my OJ?
If my issue is cellulite.... due to, having recently learned- dirty protein, (and, yes, I can attest to that, with years and years of struggling with my diet , water weight and constipation, doctor's visits, IBS pills, fiber pills, etc all of which never worked and only left me searching)...can I have smoothies with frozen fruit or will that still be too much of a source of dirty protein?
The diet is almost like being on an intro venous drip, a steady stream of quality energy so that we never over feed which would spill over to land in our adipose pool? If we'd like to over feed do it after moderate exercise so that our liver and muscle glycogen stores get refueled first before our adipose tissues do?!
Although I'm sipping through a straw I can already feel sensitivity. I know that there's a doctor form the 1930's, I forget his name which really does a great job explaining the demineralization processes to insure teeth health. I know this diet doesn't advocate supplements but I'm thinking I should build a remineralization army before demineralization sets in . I understand with b3, cod liver oil and vit. D supplements one can do that. But,I'm just beginning research,so please share with me your thoughts RRM. Again thank you, from the bottom of my heart- thank you, and if there's something I can give, volunteer or do to help this board, in any way, I'll do my best, please let me know!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:...the quantities of fruit intake, I had found it under Wai Diet- 3 links in, under example( if that makes sense?)
No, it doesn't make sense to me...
Could you please give me the URL?
(I would never advice lemon juice....)
struggling with understanding my energy needs
Yes, in the beginning that may be quite confusing.
The good news: just by thinking about and paying attention to it,
you will already learn about it.
Just try to listen and your body will speak louder.
and teeth issues.
What teeth issues do you have?
am I still really not sure I understand the ratio- 1.5 liters of OJ 3/4 cup OO?
The ratio is just a guideline.
The less physically active, the relative more fat you need.
The more physically active, the more sugars you need.
I feel shaky
That may be too much energy (in one sitting) or too little energy.
How many meals do you consume per day?
(including drinking a little juice)
can I have smoothies with frozen fruit or will that still be too much of a source of dirty protein?
Smoothies are excluded.
Indeed, dirty protein, and too much fiber.
If we'd like to over feed do it after moderate exercise so that our liver and muscle glycogen stores get refueled first before our adipose tissues do?!
After any type of physical exercise, yes.
Although I'm sipping through a straw I can already feel sensitivity.
Ok, maybe your teeth are quite sensitive already.
Maybe the enamel on your teeth has eroded.
Then consuming many meals a day might add to that, indeed.
In that case, you might have to resort to Wai Warrior;
a combination of fasting during the day and refuelling during the night,
which leaves much room for recovery of your teeth.
On the other hand, Wai Warrior is more for experienced Wai-dieters.
(its tricky to combine Wai-beginners issues with Wai Warrior pitfalls)
I understand with b3, cod liver oil and vit. D supplements one can do that.
I wouldn't go down that road.
Elevated levels of vitamin D have adverse effects (eg kidney stones).
I also advice against elevated omega-3, as it might throw the omega ratios out of whack.
If your enamel has eroded previously, you need protection against just that.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I'm sorry I should have included the URL...here it is..http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/twd-examples.html

I quess I'd like to first address my teeth issue before we get into diet which might be relevant at this point:)
Me? 5"10" 135lbs.haven't been on a scale.
Although, I'm 53 years old I look much younger than my age, so I'm told, and I just had to say that as I'm a bit vain too lol.
My teeth look pretty but 6 months again I learned via traditional cleaning dentist appt. that I have a few deep pockets, and of in need of 2 root cancels, but a " friend" dentist told me that I don't need them as it from what he casually saw it looked like 2 enamel eroded and receding gum areas. Wonderful. Today, I've been rinsing my mouth with baking soda and just gentle brushing at night, but I'm concerned, because when I brush there are a few very sensitive areas which are new.
Fasting? Is one of the "pitfalls" that you mentioned, only having a short window of feeding time which will place me vulnerable to overrating; hence,gaining weight, diabetes and a whole host of disease states? But,today, my teeth need help, right? I believe I'm strong enough to handle the "pitfalls". ...bring them on:) thank you thank you thank you.
Karen

Post by Karen »

RRM..I did a little experiment this morning as I'm trying to figure out why I'm shaky,nervous,heart racing after sipping OJ with OO. Is it because I'm not taking in enough energy or too much? So, after a tiny sip, this morning I waited and sure enough the same symptoms happened....but then, I noticed something...five minutes later I burped. Digestive issues creating pressure; hence the symptoms? I waited a bit longer, then took another sip, but this time only bigger and sure enough the same thing happened...but this time...with a big old burp! Lol So, do you think I need to replace OJ? Thank you!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:I'm sorry I should have included the URL...here it is..http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/twd-examples.html
Hmm, I didn't create that page...
I definitely don't agree with the lemon juice. I will change that.
Fasting? Is one of the "pitfalls" that you mentioned, only having a short window of feeding time which will place me vulnerable to overrating
Overeating?
If you manage to fast during the day, there is no danger of overeating.
The greatest pitfall is not being able to eat enough.
It has been shown that such an intermittent fasting diet protects against diabetes (and cancer).
Check out this page: http://www.waiwiki.org/index.php/Autophagy
Diabetes is only a risk when energy comes in while your spare glucose (glycogen) stores have been filled up already.
Fasting empties your liver-glycogen.
Being (moderately) active depletes your muscle glycogen; walking around all day depletes glycogen in your legs (the biggest muscles)
today, my teeth need help, right? I believe I'm strong enough to handle the "pitfalls". ...bring them on:
Please read up about autophagy (also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3363 )
and then post your questions here.
Karen wrote:... trying to figure out why I'm shaky,nervous,heart racing after sipping OJ with OO. .....five minutes later I burped. Digestive issues creating pressure; hence the symptoms?
Yes, that might be, indeed.
Yes, it may be OJ, but it may also be the OO.
Please try OJ without OO
and try mandarine or apple juice with OO.

Is the OJ from fully ripened sweet oranges?
If the oranges are unripe or have poorly ripened (acidic and/or bitter taste),
that may certainly cause digestive issues (and dental!).
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you for your thoughtful response RRM. I've been thinking about your suggestion to IF in order to help my teeth and gums; but, I think at this time, I need to focus more about learning about my body's energy requirements. Ive come from a past of calorie restricting and fighting my body, so I'd really like to stop doing that.
Beside from... xylitol toothpaste,rinsing wth baking soda,and daily massaging my receding gum areas....what else can you suggest I do, other than IF, to quicken recovery?
My diet has been a 100% Wai without any cheat meals for the last 2/3weeks...2500 kcal. min. But, if not for the salad I eat, I note my calcium is low; could my body be taking from my teeth to stabilize my ph balance as for the last year and a half I have been on a very, very low fat calorie diet, so I've done damage to my body. We learn the hard way; but, we can only do better once we learn.
Another question-
I'm 5"10". 132-135pds ..presently cutting back on the amount of glucose and fat I'm taking in in one meal because although, I see positive signs that I'm losing weight like my abs are coming in, I, too, see signs that I'm gaining weight like my buttocks has more cellulite on it now?! Could that be possible, could I be losing fat in one area and gaining it in another?
I'm confused, not sure if I'm taking in enough glucose and fat, although my sleep is great,my skin looks great,my IBS is gone...thank you, thank you, thank you...I'm having mood swings and my cellulite issue is getting worse and not better?

Another question-
Section 4 in Wai states the following " eating fruit the first thing in the morning will provide your body with energy; this absorbed energy will consist entirely of sugars. Sugar as a sole source of energy is quite unstable so your body will be stimulated to utilize its body fat for more sustained energy. It will also make you desire dietary fat. To fulfill that need you should eat something containing healthy fat at lunch or at about 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. You can have a salad topped with cold pressed olive oil, for example, or Brazil nuts with raisins, an avocado, or sashimi. ..." So, RRM can I have a bunch of fruit in the morning without the accompanying olive oil?
Once again, I'm trying to control my body, through calorie restricting, cutting out fat- fat is bad, which I stated at the very beginning of this message, I didn't want to do.
Your guidance and help is very much appreciated RRM; I look forward to your reply. Thank you.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:I need to focus more about learning about my body's energy requirements. Ive come from a past of calorie restricting and fighting my body, so I'd really like to stop doing that.
Yes, good idea.
Beside from... xylitol toothpaste,rinsing wth baking soda,and daily massaging my receding gum areas....what else can you suggest I do, other than IF, to quicken recovery?
To quicken recovery?
No, I dont know.
Please always use a straw too.
I note my calcium is low
How do you note that??
could my body be taking from my teeth to stabilize my ph balance
No, that's where it uses your bone calcium for.
presently cutting back on the amount of glucose and fat I'm taking in in one meal because although, I see positive signs that I'm losing weight like my abs are coming in, I, too, see signs that I'm gaining weight like my buttocks has more cellulite on it now?! Could that be possible, could I be losing fat in one area and gaining it in another?
That's very unlikely, as your body has a set order of storing / losing fat.
That doesn't change with diet.
I'm having mood swings
That's probably due to not-so-good energy management.
my cellulite issue is getting worse and not better?
There are always days that your cellulite will look worse than on other days,
but that's just fluctuations.
Your cellulite takes longer to disappear; think at least half a year.
That's explained in the book.
can I have a bunch of fruit in the morning without the accompanying olive oil?
Yes, but only in small quantities. (lots of small meals)
I'm trying to control my body, through calorie restricting
That's not good.
Wai Warrior would be a solution to that...
Karen

Post by Karen »

RRM- thank you.
Wai Warrior, hmm, so by the time I eat...breaking the fast...my liver, muscle glycogen should be empty; therefore, allowing me the opportunity to consume say 5 -400 kcals meals - before I go to sleep? And, this is good because during my fast my body...mitochondria, lysosomes,etc...has an opportunity to clean house, sort to speak? (I only have a year of anatomy/physiology behind me)
My fear- I'll lose body fat too quickly on the Wai Warrior diet . I'm coming from a place of kinda losing my looks, as on my last diet my face became so drawn and hollow. It aged me.
But, that's not going to happen again because on the Wai Warrior diet, unlike my other... nonfat diet... I'm taking in the necessary mico and macro-nutrients that my body needs to be healthy.

RRM will you help me with the details of Wai Warrior diet?

Low calcium? Cronometer tells me so, as I log in there because I find it easier.
I use a straw!
My diet? I've made quick strides...up until 3pm I have a liter of orange juice, 1 banana , 3 dates rolled in hand shelled walnuts, and at 3pm I have a salad- cucumber, red pepper, avocado, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons OO, 3.5 ounces of salmon, then at 7pm I have 4-5 egg yolks, banana, sprinkled with walnuts. No cheats.

I'd like to lose my last five or so pounds,keep my beauty and save my teeth!

RRM .. Thank you.
liondolphin

Post by liondolphin »

i wish i never read about calorie restriction. it really f***ks with your mind. it's so hard to go back once you embark on it.

like you, im also trying to conquer my calorie restriction past. everytime i thought i progress, im pulled back again. damn frustrating.

rrm, do you recommend wai warrior for anoraexias?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Wouldn't it be better to first adjust to the 'normal' Wai diet and then going for the Wai Warrior diet?
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Oscar..I'm pleased to meet you. Thank you for your suggestion and I think I'm going to take it as I'm presently adjusting to living in a foreign country. I've moved to Costa Rica to be a TEFL teacher. Although, I'm not juicing at this time, my diet is 100% Wai as I'm living off raw eggs, avocados, and tropical fruit! Also, I'm carrying a baggie of baking soda to help my teeth. Thank you, Oscar!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:Wouldn't it be better to first adjust to the 'normal' Wai diet and then going for the Wai Warrior diet?
I agree.
Its just that sometimes, in specific cases, a different route might be beneficial.
In this case we need to make very sure that there is sufficient energy supply,
but taking in many, many small meals may worsen her teeth issue.
Also, i think it might be wiser to solve the anorexia/bulemia issue through a fasting - replenishing routine,
rather than very strictly controlling meal size.
Somehow i think the latter may result in counting calories and control issues.
On Wai Warrior, one can satisfy both the urge to fast and the urge to indulge on food;
might be the perfect answer.
We shall see.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:by the time I eat...breaking the fast...my liver, muscle glycogen should be empty; therefore, allowing me the opportunity to consume say 5 -400 kcals meals - before I go to sleep?
Yes, but you dont need to consume 5 meals of 400 kcal.
You just need to indulge on food, and try to find at what intake its really enough.
so, no counting calories, but eat until you are really, really satisfied.
Thats not about filling your stomach, but about feeling your energy needs.
You will notice that after fasting a big meal will fill you up,
but you will still feel the need for more energy.
Thats how you learn to differentiate between stomach-hunger and ctual need for energy.
Make very sure that the meals are very easy to digest (no fiber),
because the fiber will make you feel bloated, and will stop your eating, may result in too much weight loss.
during my fast my body...mitochondria, lysosomes,etc...has an opportunity to clean house, sort to speak?
Yes.
The health benefits are a proven scientific fact.
My fear- I'll lose body fat too quickly on the Wai Warrior diet
We can control that by increasing the eating phase.
If you lose weight, you start eating sooner every day (say one hour).
on the Wai Warrior diet, unlike my other... nonfat diet... I'm taking in the necessary mico and macro-nutrients that my body needs to be healthy.
Yes.
RRM will you help me with the details of Wai Warrior diet?
Sure.
Low calcium?
high calcium has been thought to prevent osteoporosis,
but statistics show that is not true.
In all countries where calcium intake is low, osteoporosis is rare.
In all countries with high calcium intakes (high milk/cheese consumption) are high, osteoporosis rates are high too.
Epidemiological studies have also shown that high calcium does not prevent osteoporosis.
Still the recommendations are based on that assumption.
so, low calcium is perfectly fine.

I see you consume quite a lot of fiber.
You may want to decrease the fiber intake to prevent bloating.