Desired energy source and fuel

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Desired energy source and fuel

Post by Thomas »

"There are two kinds of fuel that your body can use with minor exceptions, sugar and fat. We mentioned earlier that the body is going to store excess energy as fat. Why does the body store it as fat? Because that is the body's desired fuel. That is the fuel the body wants to burn and that will sustain you and allow you to live. The body can store only a little bit of sugar. .... In an active day you would die if you had to rely one-hundred percent on sugar. "

-Ron Rosedale MD

How could we have evolved stuffing ourselves full of fruit several times a day? If fat is the body's desired source of fuel, this seems to contradict the whole premise of the Wai diet.

Thomas
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Because it isn't correct. The body has (if we bring it down to macronutrients) 3 kinds of fuel, sugar, fat, protein. What the body prefers to use is sugar and fat. Sugar AND fat. But because fat used to be far more scarce, we can convert (if needed) sugar and protein into fat, and store it for later use. Sugars which aren't used right away are stored as glycogen.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

His (Ron Rosedale) reasoning is far from conclusive indeed. A bit like: "When you sweat, thats because your body wants to get rid of excess water".
One could also reason that sugar is our favourite source of fuel because our tongue contains many sensors susceptible to sweetness.

I dont know whether spare energy is stored as fat particularly because fat used to be more scarce, though.
To me it makes most sense that its because fat can be best stored as spare energy as its most energy dense; storing 1 kg of fat supplies us with over twice as much energy as 1 kg of sugars.
Another reason might be that fat also protects you against the cold; thats why its particularly stored right under the skin. As the fat is solid (glycogen is a sirup) and stored right under the skin it also protects against blows (from violence / accidents).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

One doesn't necessarily exclude the other. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So that one cannot simply exclude sugars as the body's 'favourite source of fuel' based on the fact that predominantly fat is used for energy storage.
Funny enough, there is no 'natural' diet possible that does not supply us with a substantial amount of glucose, as fatty foods also contain protein, which is mainly converted into glucose. Excluding glucose as a desired source of fuel therefore seems a purely theoretical twist, and unnatural.
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM wrote:
Another reason might be that fat also protects you against the cold; thats why its particularly stored right under the skin. As the fat is solid (glycogen is a sirup) and stored right under the skin it also protects against blows (from violence / accidents).
RRM, I'll give you the cold/ protection theory, but the blows/violence proposition I feel is a reach beyond grand design. Fat deposits to protect against violent blows? Associating fat deposits as a protective measure against physical force has far reaching implications which I suppose could be worthy of study. But implies pre-cognition of physical trauma and, a fatty state- when I believe we were meant to be lean hunter gatherers, pre-supermarket glutonny phase.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ha, ha, I didnt mean 'fat people', as in overweight, but that some fat under your skin has some protective properties, including against blows (from whatever source)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Ha ha hah, I didn't think you meant fat people. I will agree that fat, under the skin is a protective measure against cold, let's say. But against blows or violence, I don't agree. This would be more, luck. Maybe if we had shells :shock: like turtles...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Take a big chunck of lean beef, and then the same chunck with a layer of fat on it. (as in bacon)
Which one would shield your organs better, you think?
avalon

Post by avalon »

okay, so specifics- internal fat, surrounding organs is not what I was talking about. My belief was that you were implying fat, under the skin is there for protection as well. Because I don't believe our fat layer under our soft skin is meant to provide protection angainst any kind of severe blow. In fact, our skull is a very good example. Protecting the hunk-O-fat which is our Brain.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:My belief was that you were implying fat, under the skin is there for protection as well.
I was, indeed