Plant sterols and cholesterol

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by avalon »

Okay, question, RRM are you against plant sterols in general? Or, Just this particular sterol?
Among the nutrients that are retained are high levels of vitamin E (Tocopherols and Trienols), along with Gamma Oryzanol which is a unique plant sterol found only in rice. Plant sterols help reduce absorption of cholesterol and are thought to be a major dietary factor in preventing heart disease
I know that cholesterol is essential, but I also know high levels of 'bad' seem problematic. Or is this all part of the cholesterol myth???

Thanx, Avalon
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:are you against plant sterols in general?
No. Fruits also contain plant sterols.
Or, Just this particular sterol?
Not simply the sterol, but the usage of a concentrate of an unnatural food for medicinal properties without proper diagnosis and purely aiming at symptoms.
I know that cholesterol is essential, but I also know high levels of 'bad' seem problematic. Or is this all part of the cholesterol myth???
Have you ever read the article about cholesterol?
And if so, did you try to understand it?
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM wrote:
Have you ever read the article about cholesterol?
And if so, did you try to understand it?
Do you mean have I read the 'Book'? If you meant have I read the book, then I'll say no. I have read many 'articles' - and your second comment was of course, rude.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon

Post by avalon »

Thank you Oscar. If he meant- your link, since this is you saying what he meant, and not , him- yes, I had read it. Honestly a while back. Of course I tried to understand it and am still a little miffed at why he would call me on it, but that's okay.

I appreciate you voicing in though.

Best wishes,
Avalon :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Avalon, you quoted:
Plant sterols help reduce absorption of cholesterol and are thought to be a major dietary factor in preventing heart disease
and added to it:
Avalon wrote:I know that cholesterol is essential, but I also know high levels of 'bad' seem problematic.
If you had tried to understand the cholesterol article that you have read, you would have known our position:
- reducing cholesterol absorption does not prevent the uptake of bad cholesterol from cooked animal foods, but does decrease the uptake of good cholesterol.
- bad cholesterol is not taken up when consuming raw animal food

Why was I being rude?
You are not a beginner.
You have been around long enough to have read, and understand the articles, so that you should know our position by now.
This forum is for those who are truly interested in learning about this diet.
If you are interested, please learn.
If you are not interested, please leave.
avalon

Post by avalon »

For the record, I didn't create this thread.

You forgot to start this thread with your quote about sterols RRM. It was your remark that lead to my question. You zeroed in on the cholesterol issue when you'd already answerd my question. I'm sorry If I've upset you. You're the one who took it that extra step. I don't think my question, asking you for specifics on your sterol comment was out of line. I agree, my short and horribly simplistic quip about cholesterol wasn't needed.
This forum is for those who are truly interested in learning about this diet.
If you are interested, please learn.
If you are not interested, please leave.
Why do I feel there's an eraser zooming towards my head. :shock:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:You forgot to start this thread with your quote about sterols RRM. It was your remark that lead to my question.
Thats ok. I just split this off so that it wouldnt take over the other thread, and tried to keep that thread intact as much as possible.
I'm sorry If I've upset you.
You didnt. I just gave you an answer that i felt was appropriate.
I don't think my question, asking you for specifics on your sterol comment was out of line.
I dont think so either. I just didnt want that question to dominate that thread, so i split it off. Once all this has been settled, this thread can safely be eliminated.
Why do I feel there's an eraser zooming towards my head. :shock:
Dont worry, I will tell you when I think you are out of line.
Aytundra

Re: Plant sterols and cholesterol

Post by Aytundra »

Hi,
I was watching the July 2015 CBC Marketplace, youtube video, on 10 "healthy" food labels, exposed.
When an (orange) juice company claimed that their Oasis Health Break Cholestprevent juice (mango cranberry flavoured orange juice) contained 2 g or sterols.
To make their product seem a better choice of plant sterol, they claimed that 80 oranges = 2 g plant sterol.
Oasis orange juice with 80 oranges or 22 kg broccoli equals 2 g of plant sterols..JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwBw-O_UaY

That got me thinking.
If you guys are chugging down 40 oranges a day, in 2 days you would reach 2 g plant sterol?
Would you not be having too much plant sterols in the long run?
Is plant sterol good or bad?
That product, seems to say plant sterol is good at preventing cholesterol.{probably by having plant sterol take up more territory in the body than cooked-meat sterol in avg SAD ppl.}.
But isn't that bad? bad to have plant sterols? Because cholesterol is viewed as good in this forum.

The question is, are you guys filling up on too much plant sterols?

And what about this table?
Plant sterols Hamilton Health Science Feb 2017 Table of food items.JPG
Seems like there are ways to easily eat a quantity of plant sterols.
From these dates CBC's Marketplace in July 2015, and Hamilton Health Science's Feb 2017, table, the anti-cholesterol fad is still alive and running, despite the publication that reversed 50 years of anti-cholesterol advice. It is now promoted in the form of pro ingestion of plant-sterols.
While the real evil lies in statin drugs.
Is plant-sterol just dragged into promote anti-cholesterol?
OR is plant-sterol, actually also part of the equation of cholesterol alteration in the body?
If it is, is it bad? Should we stick to the body making cholesterol, and avoid exogenous sterols such as plant-sterols, and meat-sterols, and cooked-meat sterols.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!