how come some people get more readily addicted?

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
dionysus
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by dionysus »

johndela1 wrote:Yes, you would and you would also *need* it.
Yeah and the need because so fucking big that most people give in to it. Thats why some people say "Once an addict, always an addict." Because the addict always has to aware of the addiction or else he will easily slip (i.e. reuse)

By the way, just for the record, I do not believe "Once an addict, always an addict.". Addiction, to me, is just an outcome of who you are; and you can change.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I am referring to physical addiction. Which actually does go away. Once an addict always an addict refers to the physiological calling back to your vice.

Like if I'm doing opiates every day for several weeks. If I stop, I'll has physical withdrawal symptoms. These eventually will stop.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Still, our minds do play tricks on us. I totally thought I wasn't addicted and just felt I'd love to have something crispy (this was in my transitional phase). I felt I needed different kinds of food, variation in my diet, and I felt a bit restless looking for those options. Only later I realized it wasn't the crispiness I wanted, but my mind trying to get me to eat potato chips (which I did eat regularly before).

So maybe the 'need' for variation is also a remnant of the addiction, though RRM mentioned that women apparently like more variety than men.