nick
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

nicotine article...

Post by nick »

RRM
Administrator

Re: nicotine article...

Post by RRM »

Everyone who studied a bit of biochemistry knows that nicotine is listed as an acetylcholine agonist, which means that it has somewhat the same influence as acetylcholine itself on the acetylcholine receptors in the brain. And acetylcholine is essential in focussing / thinking logically / absorbing information. So, yes, nicotine has a similar effect.

This doesn't mean that nicotine makes your brain function better. It only temporarily stimulates your brain, followed by a decrease in activity. Much as cocaine doesn't make you faster or stronger; it just temporarily increases your sharpness, self confidence and aggression.

Taking nictonine in pills (or a 'pure' acetylcholine agonist substitute), would therefore be about the same (but with a different effect) as taking cocaine. It would be taking a drug, with all the adverse effects all stimulating drugs have (the effects are temporary and your receptors become desensitised, so that need more and more of it).
Also, it will disturb your normal behaviour, since acetylcholine is also (indirectly) involved in your personality; you can only imbalance and never 'improve' the natural balance.
nick

Post by nick »

That makes sense, becuase each neurotransmitter has multiple functions within our brain and body. I know that acetylcholine is used for smooth muscle contraction, hence parkinson's disease shows the deficiency of acetylcholine. So these companies still hype the thought of a one-fix quick-fix drug.

Why do our receptors become desensitized to exogenous drugs, thus increasing the craving or amount of for the same effect, than when our brain uses our natural 'drugs'?

I know its how our brain is supposed to function but what makes those addictive substances so damn addictive?

Also, since cigarrettes inhibit appetite, because they contain beta-carbolines, doesn't that make the case that exogenous beta-carbolines can and do affect our brain receptors?

I find this to be the most fascinating part of your research and some of the most clarifying anaylsis of it! It's truly amazing to see how food affects our brain. Thanks for the response!
nick

Post by nick »

I also have a great idea that combines your "like cigarettes, like food" article.

It would be a picture of an obese overwieght women/man who is sitting on a bench in a park, with just a street lamp as a light source and the person would be eating macdonalds fast food. Then you would have the Macdonalds logo, but instead it would say 'McDiction". The intent is to say something about food addiction. I would like to have some of the article about food and cigarettes to be at the bottom and have it in white text. Its a great idea and I all I need to do is...just do it!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Nick:
Why do our receptors become desensitized to exogenous drugs, thus increasing the craving or amount of for the same effect, than when our brain uses our natural 'drugs'?
They also do when exposed to elevated levels of 'drugs' made by the body.
Its because the design of our body is about a network of 'perfect' balances, so that if you try to impair a balance, the body will try to restore it. For this, it has a number of tools available, such as desensitizing receptors, decreasing production of this drug, increasing breakdown etc.
Regarding exogenous drugs, the body as a little less tools at its diposal; it cannot 'decrease production' (since it is not produced by the body), so that exogenous drugs have stronger desensitzing effects.
I know its how our brain is supposed to function but what makes those addictive substances so damn addictive?
Nicotine is actually not directly addictive (as opiates), but indirectly, due to the desensitizing effects; as a smoker you need to smoke to be able to focus and 'feel all right'. Non-smokers don't.
Also, since cigarrettes inhibit appetite, because they contain beta-carbolines, doesn't that make the case that exogenous beta-carbolines can and do affect our brain receptors?
It has already been proven in multiple studies; the effects of various beta-carbolines on brain functioning in test animals.
It's truly amazing to see how food affects our brain.
I agree. Even knowing that these substances influence brain functions, I'm still amazed every time when a dieter tells us that his/her brain has started to function differently (better focus, clear, happy).
I also have a great idea that combines your "like cigarettes, like food" article.
Maybe he should have a clearly visible pack of cigarettes in the pocket of his shirt, and while he's very much enjoying his burger, an arrow points to the cigarettes, and it says: "Some of the addictive compounds in here, are also in there", subsequently pointing to the burger?
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Any tips for quitting cigarettes?

I don't smoke anymore at home, but when I'm with friends that smoke, my natural tendency is to smoke with them. I feel so weak! I realize that cigarettes are much harder to resist than munch food (I haven't given in to any social pressure in terms of munch food, so the social pressure thing with regards to smoking cannot hold). The addiction appears to be much deeper than food in my case :cry:
huntress

Post by huntress »

Well Chin-Chin, I am not a smoker but I have some suggestions though.
How about distancing yourself away from situations that will trigger your smoking habit. Since you mention that you do not smoke in your house then they at home more often. And if you are with your friends, try distracting yourself with something else like drinking juices or nibling on some fruits until you part with your friends.

The key here is avoidance. Physically avoid yourself from situations that may act as a trigger to your habit and mentally occupy yourself with some distractors when you are in the situation.

I heard that smoking is somewhat a 'culture' among Parisians but still, it takes a lot of trials and errors to overcome a habit, you just have to be persistant in it!
avalon

Post by avalon »

You have to want to LIVE.

But seriously, I quit over seven years ago and don't know how I ever managed it. I was pretty darn addicted.

I got a very bad chest cold, and at the same time was feeling my Brother's wrath for smoking...somehow, I quit cold turkey.

Hmmm cold turkey marinated in lemmon juice! I don't knnnooowww...

You can do it.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I've quit several times. Each time successfully for a few weeks.

I notice that I need to smoke when I'm with an authority: a professor, someone more established (of course, they are themselves smoking )... Did I wrongly associate cigarettes with power, or rebellion against authority?

And usually, I'd try to resist REALLY hard for half an hour to an hour, but then I end up chain smoking, and it's all over :(
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

I've heard of greens and water fasting helping people give up cigerettes when they'd lost all hope of ever breaking the addiction.

If I were you (which I'm not)
I would do a 7-10 day water fast or master cleanse.
Then each time I was going to be with somebody who smokes, I would drink green juice before hand (at least a glass, but the more the better)

I know green juice isn't allowed on Wai but nor are cigerettes, so better the greens than the nicotene :wink:

If you can't buy a juicer, make green smoothies instead, but they're not as powerful. (Blend 200g greens with water and fruit)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Chin-Chin,
I remember reading about a guy who went to Suzuki Roshi (prominent Zen master) to ask for advice about giving up smoking. Suzuki told him to make a ceremony out of every cigarette - wrap it first in a golden cloth, bow to it, appreciate it, then smoke it with full awareness (no distractions!!). When the guy followed this advice, first of all he cut down on the number he was smoking because it was such a procedure just to smoke one cigarette; secondly he realised he didn't like the way the cigarettes made him feel, physically and emotionally (because he was now smoking with full alertness and concentration); thirdly he saw how obscene it was becoming to bow to something that was actually hurting him. So, after a few days, he quit, and had no reason to go back.

I am not suggesting that you go out and buy a gold cloth in which to wrap your cigarette ceremonially; perhaps, though, the metaphor of the story will help you! By the way I think you're probably right in making the connection between smoking and rebellion against authority...
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Cairidh - I am not so sure a water fast (with supplementary green juices) would be all that helpful... it seems like pure torture, when I think there are gentler ways of quitting that don't involve a process that frees up toxins from one's body fat and can make the wannabe-ex-smoker feel very ill indeed. Fasting is NOT to be entered into lightly, and several fasting 'experts' I've read will advise a person not to fast in order to give up smoking, because the blood-purity is already compromised when fasting and all the chemicals (from smoking) that the body has tried to lock away deep in its tissues are now being mobilised. This can be dangerous, especially if you are not fasting with supervision (i.e. a doctor who can monitor your heartbeat, blood pressure, etc). That's my 2 cents on the subject of fasting to conquer addictions...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think the question is: do you really want to quit? Or is it Reason telling you it's bad for your health? Many people only succeed in quitting after a (serious) threat to their health, or indication thereof. So the fear of becoming seriously ill then outweighs the fear of social and body changes.

So if you can picture yourself going about your life as a non-smoker, and you're determined to quit, then you can do it. I'm sure you can figure out what you'd need to facilitate that process. :)

Good luck!
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I really want to quit, just that I'm not known to have strong willpower.

Can the diet help with willpower? :roll:
avalon

Post by avalon »

(audio effects: echo chamber)

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL WAI SAYS, YOU MUST STOP SMOKING!

OR, BRING ME A STRAWBERRY/BANANA RED RUBBIE SMOOTHIE PRONTO!

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE OSCAR BEHIND THE CURTAIN :D