Fibromyalgia

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
MJ
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by MJ »

As far as posture, it is important to know that the alignment of your body is involuntary. This means that there is no way you can create a permanent change the alignment of your posture simply from consciously focusing on certain things. There are a couple reasons why consciously thinking about changing things doesn't work. First, the alignment of your body is ingrained in your neurology. Therefore, as soon as you mind becomes occupied with something else, your body will simply resort back to what has been imprinted in your neurology. It would be like telling someone to breathe fast the entire day. You could breathe fast if you think about it, but as soon as your mind focuses on something else, you will end up breathe the natural way your body wants.

Second, there are simply too many postural issues that exist for the human brain to focus on. If I were to point out 9 postural dysfunctions on your body, it is impossible for you to consciously try to reposition all 9 things.

Lastly, there are postural issues that you simply can't alter on a conscious level no matter how hard you try. For example, if your pelvic angle was much higher than the normal range, but your lumbar curve was much less than and incongruent to the pelvic angle, how is it even possible to consciously make the 2 congruent? There's no way you can by just thinking about it and trying to change it as you stand.

As far as walking or running "technique"....The human body naturally knows how to walk and run, just as a bird knows how to fly, and a fish knows how to swim. The problem is that the alignment of our bodies have deviated so far from its natural designed (due to the lifestyle of our modern society) that our bodies don't walk and run in a natural manner anymore. A person can try to alter the way they move, however, that doesn't solve the underlying problem. You may be feel better running by trying to alter your running technique, however, as soon as you do a different activity, especially one that you are unaccustomed to, the structural weakness of your body will begin to show.
Angie

Post by Angie »

I don't wear heals, just to clear that up. :) Well maybe once or twice a year. I love the way they look, but they're just too uncomfortable. Does anyone have a link to a video illustrating the correct way to run using the 'fox walking' technique?

I don't believe people are born with anxiety, rather I believe the environment, different personality types, nutrition, play a huge factor. I'm not one to think I have a brain tumor if I have a headache lol. I don't go around inventing health issues. I've got to many other things I'd rather do. It's more than just mental. It's more like a super-sensitivity to my inner and outer environment. I posted a long post as to why and decided not to send it. Too personal. Just please don't judge or draw false conclusions... there's a lot more going on here... to do with my current envrionment, a vision impairment, and the type of people I've managed to surround myself with. I'm working on fixing all of that. Maybe if RRM would be willing to change my user name to something else lol, or delete the post after 3 days lol.

Experimenting with the Wai Diet is something I can do more once I'm on my own again. It's something I want to do for sure. I think there's something about citrus fruits, for me personally.
Angie

Post by Angie »

Alright, MJ, I'm convinced. What do I google, exactly? To find the Muscle Balancing expert in my area? I can only do this if it's covered under health insurance. Otherwise it will have to wait for now.

I managed to 'cure' my symptoms of excercise induced asthma by doing the
Butyeko breathing technique. You retrain your body to breathe correctly, which helps with asthma and a host of other things.

I am hoping to find something similar for FMS. Perhaps this is it. Do you have evidence / studies of people that have experienced complete improvement in FMS symptoms?
MJ

Post by MJ »

Angie,

I think you may be taking my comments about anxiety a little too literally. I'm not saying that you have issues like the example I mentioned, but rather I was just giving you an example of a mental issue that had a direct correlation to the perception of pain. My point is exactly what you said which is that there is a strong mental component to FMS. This also means that if you only address this condition from a physical standpoint, you will have limited success. I believe that dealing with FMS must be done on a physical as well as an mental/emotional level. Personally, I can only help people on a physical level as dealing with mental/emotional issues is not my expertise. But one thing is that it is often difficult to tell people that may need professional help in dealing with mental/emotional issues.

As far as MBF, it is not covered by insurance. Regardless, I think you have gotten off to a good start in getting as much input from various sources and taking some action on your own to solve your problems. That's way better than most people who simply drug themselves up forever because that's all the MD's can do.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

MJ, have you done/read anything about the Alexander Technique at all? Because it does exactly what you advocate. ;)
MJ

Post by MJ »

What does it do that I am advocating?
Angie

Post by Angie »

MJ,

You are right, we do seem to be saying the exact same thing. Internet communication is not always ideal. lol. I didn't mean to take your comment personally. I imagine it must be difficult to suggest to your clients to consider professional help for the mental aspect of their problems. Have you had results with the physical aspect of FMS through that technique?

I have been to counselors before as a student. I'm perfectly sane, I asked. lol. I do have some minor social anxiety, minor self-esteem issues, and indecision, but many people have that. Anything else was/is environmental/situational.

The physical, mental, emotional and situational factors that combined to cause this current 'flare up' should be solved within a year.

What I would like to get rid of though is the tendency for FMS that I've had all my life.

It's great so many people have such good ideas on here.

Yes, what is the Alexander Technique?
MJ

Post by MJ »

The Alexander Technique is a different form of posture therapy.

As far as the mental connection to physical pain, I have seen many instances in which changing mental perceptions, attitudes, and habits have resulted in positive results in the perception of physical pain. This is not just for people with FMS, but anyone who has or had pain. I seen this in other people and I have also experienced this myself. It is extremely difficult though because it is like changing life time "bad habits".

I have recently begun working on changing how I look at situations in life and I can tell you that I have felt a very big difference. I was a much "angrier" person in the past. :)
Angie

Post by Angie »

Movies such as 'The Secret' and 'What the Bleep Do We Know?' help with this. Yep. No matter if you 'believe' those ideas or not. It works on a purely mental/scientific level and also on a 'spiritual' level.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

MJ wrote:What does it do that I am advocating?
Maybe advocating isn't the right word, but in your first post on this page you address common issues with regular posture therapies, and which the Alexander Technique does avoid.

Basically what the AT does is to
1. help the body 'unlearn' its unnatural habits by non-doing and
2. help the body to 'relearn' its natural habits (again not by consciously doing/learning a new habit, but letting the body find it's natural way).

Because we have a false sensory perception of what is right and wrong, conscious adapting/changing habits in this case doesn't really work. We will probably exchange one bad habit for another.

It goes too far to explain all the ins and outs here, especially because I'm not an expert. ;)