Prednisone

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Angie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Prednisone

Post by Angie »

Hi,

I was recently perscribed a short 5 day course of prednisone to reduce inflmamation in my throat, from a bad virus that caused me to totally lose my voice. As an instructor, I couldn't have this. So after the five days my acne is completely gone, in a way it never has been before. I also started eating garlic, to try to clean my system out naturally. My skin is the dream skin I have always wanted, for the first time since I was about 12.

does anyone else have experience with either the garlic working or the prednisone, and does anyone know why? I have read that prednisone works in hormonal acne by reducing the active amount of androgen in the system. I know that I am high androgen by nature anyway. I also read that androgen production is stimulated by sugar spikes. So eating a low-glycemic version of wai might help???

Also I read that garlic is a natural antifungal and antibiotic. I started eating raw garlic after reading about the link between garlic and fungus and body ph and cancer. So I was trying to eat it to get rid of a fungus on my toenail. And instead it cleared my face??? yea!!!

I'm trying to figure out which thing did it, and how to keep these results.

I guess this is two questions.

p.s. I don't know where to put this thread, if it should be under health issues or acne. Let me know. :)
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

first off congrats with the clear skin!!!!! that must be such a relief :)

how long were you on the diet before? how were you eating during the prednisone? what did you skin look like before the prednisone? it's hard to say what the cause was without more info... but my guess is this stuff is all a combination of things - its never just one thing - we are and live in dynamic systems ;)

and have you looked up if there's a relationship between prednisone and acne elsewhere online? it'd be interesting if anyone else had the same experience - loads of ppl take it...

btw garlic also kills the good guys so be careful - you're changing your intestinal balance (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not)
Angie

...if something seems to good to be true, it probably is...

Post by Angie »

so well it was just the prednisone. I'm off it, and my skin has gone back to 'normal'.

What I found out though, is interesting; Prednisone also suppresses androgen, that can cause hormonal acne. There is also a link between androgen and blood sugar levels... I'm planning to ask the dr about how to fix the androgen levels...

So maybe the 'low-glycemic wai-diet' would be best...

The elavil I am on for FMS also raises blood sugar levels, and that's when the acne started getting bad again. So once it's warmed up here, I can go off of that.

Seems like high (spiking) blood sugar causes less HGH (human growth hormone) secretions (bad!!!) and more androgen etc... oh and lower HGH levels cause elimination of stage-4 sleep!!

So the drug that 'helps' FMS actually makes it worse!!! wow.

To answer your question, when I'm sick, I avoid processed foods, and eat early in the day, eat less, and eat fruits and (certain) veggies. Lots of garlic too, which may help some, but it's not a fix-all like the prednisone.

Cheers!
Angie

Post by Angie »

Oh I forgot to mention that the prednisone causes acne in most people, except those with hormonal acne, and in those people (me) it cures it...?

That's just what I've read though...

:)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, if you have 'hormonal acne' (in the sense that the level of one our more of your hormones is elevated / decreased), taking suppressing / stimulating drugs can clear acne, and, of course can can also cause acne in someone with different hormone levels.
Angie

Post by Angie »

I've been doing the wai diet for quite a while now... and I still had a -huge- nasty breakout on my forehead before my period. That day I ate some lightly cooked shitake mushooms, (for a treat) but those are low protein...? So I don't know.
Wholistic

Post by Wholistic »

claireelis wrote: btw garlic also kills the good guys so be careful - you're changing your intestinal balance (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not)
Dietitian Joanne Larsen wrote: In fact, you have many "good bacteria" that is an integral part of your skin. Garlic does nothing to the normal flora of friendly bacteria in your colon including e-Coli. Unfortunately, garlic has been ascribed many therapeutic properties, most of which are untrue.
http://www.dietitian.com/nails.html

In addition, garlic contains prebiotics. Although prebiotics are not probiotics/bacteria, they feed the good bacteria that already exist in the digestive system. In other words, prebiotics give your body the natural building blocks to manufacture its own healthy bacteria for good gut health.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Wholistic wrote:prebiotics give your body the natural building blocks to manufacture its own healthy bacteria for good gut health.
Your body can perfectly provide for its own 'prebiotics'.
Angie wrote:I've been doing the wai diet for quite a while now... and I still had a -huge- nasty breakout on my forehead before my period. That day I ate some lightly cooked shitake mushooms, (for a treat) but those are low protein...? So I don't know.
Oh yeah...
Ive been experimenting with that a few years ago. They didnt always give me acne, but often.
Gerard

prebiotics

Post by Gerard »

Prebiotics have helped me only at times I was eating lots of fiber.

Perhaps the lining of the intestine becomes so damaged from fiber that they (in some cases) can help an individual.

I juice everything now, like RRM.....

You can see http://www.fibermenace.com

for more on fiber. I do not follow the dietary suggestions on that site, only the Wai recommended diet, but I am sure that in many ways it covers some good information on fiber.
Gerard

probiotics

Post by Gerard »

Ah; I meant to say "probiotics..." in fact the ones without FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides) in the past worked the best for me.