Plastic bottle: Bisphenol A; mimics estrogen

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Iris »

40 oz is approx. one liter, right? So you could buy one at the link I posted.
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

Oh! And about the stainless steel straws... I didn't know they existed either, but now I am totally getting some. Then I will be the coolest kid on the block!
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

Yeah 40 oz is over a liter which is good. I'm just waiting for this shop that usually has them to get them back in stock. If they don't within this month, I will have to order off that link you gave :D
djkvan

Re: Plastic bottle: Bisphenol A; mimics estrogen

Post by djkvan »

OOPS
Last edited by djkvan on Sat 25 Dec 2010 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

For those of you who use plastic pop bottles for your juices (RRM), you may want to rethink that. The following is an excerpt from a chat forum, but the science is solid...

Here are some suggestions for water bottles:
The safest bottles to use are made of high-density polyethylene, or HDPE (identified by the number 2 in the recycling triangle symbol on the bottom), low-density polyethylene, or LDPE (#4) or polypropylene (#5). However, they're often overlooked because they are softer plastics and will absorb some flavour over time if you're using them for more than water.

Most bottled water is sold in clear plastic bottles identified on the bottom as PET or PETE and the number 1 in the recycling triangle. Although test results have varied, research on those bottles has revealed that they can leach the chemicals DEHA or DEHP, particularly after they've been re-used several times or after they've sat on a store shelf for extended period (upwards of a year). DEHA is listed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a possible human carcinogen while DEHP is listed by California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (Proposition 65) as reproductive toxicant.

At the very least, don't re-use clear plastic water bottles. And when you're buying a re-usable bottle, opt for bottles marked on the bottom as #2, #4 or #5, instead of the hard plastic polycarbonate containers (usually marked with a #7). Nalgene does offer a HDPE (#2) bottle, which is available at outdoor stores and many sports bottles are made of LDPE (#4).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

You're welcome.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Buying plastic bottled water doesn't make much sense any way, unless you buy it in the really large reusable containers having no good watersource. I buy 100% glass cups (plastics erode and are harder to clean), and it saves money and resources in the long run.

It's important to keep in mind that almost no plastic bottle, not even HDPE, will be safe from leeching if left in heat, particularly a hot car in the sun.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Bottled water is mentioned in the example; however, the info is directed towards those who store put their OJ into plastic containers (e.g. RRM uses, used?, plastic pop bottles) and reuse them. I would be concerned that the acids in OJ are accelerating/catalyzing the leaching process. I noticed that my LDPE4 bottles began to turn orange inside when I stopped using OO with my OJ for periods of time. I noted no such occurrence in PETE1 bottles, but there could still have been leaching going on.