Plastic bottle: Bisphenol A; mimics estrogen

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Plastic bottle: Bisphenol A; mimics estrogen

Post by johndela1 »

I've been reading about how using plastic can expose one to toxins especially BPA. Do you guys use plastic to carry your juice? If not what do you use? I am looking at getting a Kleen Kanteen or a SIGG. Right now I use a glass bottle that I bought bottled water from company named Voss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A
CY

Post by CY »

Plastic is nasty stuff...

All my containers are glass.

Thanks for the info!
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

mostly plastic, somtimes glass - but the sigg seems well priced - sounds like a good investment :) !!! anyone know of any cheap european alternatives?
jay

Post by jay »

Yeah. Dump the plastics if you can. I have a Kleen Kanteen and a SIGG bottle and I love them both. Water tastes better out of them as well.
sophie

Glass drinking bottles

Post by sophie »

This forum and Wai's site has taught me *so* much. I feel lucky to have come across this fun & supportive group! :)

These glass bottles come with a snug carrying case to keep the contents cool and relatively protected...

http://www.lovebottle.net/

a lil pricey, but definitely cute...

"if i had to live my life again, i'd make the same mistakes, only sooner." --Tallulah Bankhead
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Haha, nice. The lid reminds me of a lid used on a specific kind of beer bottle in the Netherlands (Grolsch).

sophie

Post by sophie »

dang! i could have saved me a pretty penny if i only had one of those empty Grolsches around for my OJ & OO! But then again, hmm... it might not look *too* professional for me to be toting it around and taking swigs out of it at work... "Nope, boss, <hic!> itsh jusht orange juice, i shwear! <hic!>" ;) hehe.
"if i had to live my life again, i'd make the same mistakes, only sooner." --Tallulah Bankhead
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL! :D

And then they would smell the fermented smell of the juice with added sugar which you had squeezed the evening before... ;)
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

I recently got those bottles for my oj and they're great!
I also ended up getting some stainless steel straws since I can't be sure how safe the regular plastic straws are (whether they have BPA or not).
A question for those using straws: What kind of straw do you use and do you wash them or how often do you use a new one?
Iris

Post by Iris »

I only use a straw when I'm at home. It's not very handy to use a straw when I'm walking or something like that, I think :wink: I didn't even know there where stainless steel straws, so it's always a plastic one I use. And I always use a new one (but that's because one of our cats steels straws out of glasses of juice, to play with it :roll: :lol: Especially pink ones ;D)
gracie

Post by gracie »

those love bottles are totally cute!

I've always been suspicious of plastics, but only recently started investigating. If you turn a plastic container over, you'll see a little number on the bottom. Some numbers are safer than others (#3, 6, 7 are the worst):
http://www.ecoperkscanada.com/plastics.html

But all plastics are bad, both for our health and our environment. Go glass!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread
The Fourth wrote:First, what would you say is the best material to drink out of (as in a water bottle). Would you say glass is the safest, or stainless steel? Are they both fine? And then what about the thick plastic ones without the BPA... does lacking the BPA make them safe, or did it just fix the media scare problem?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread, a response:
Gracie wrote:Hey! I think glass and stainless steel are equally safe. (Although if you scrub stainless steel abrasively, I guess a teeny tiny amount of chromium/nickel can be released, but...I think it's fine. And I'm paranoid.)

I'd choose those two over plastic, although BPA-free is better than not BPA-free! But you never know:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... free_isn’t

Again, I'm totally paranoid. It's probably safe.
Wiki wrote: Bisphenol A has been known to be leached from the plastic lining of canned foods[147] and polycarbonate plastics...
...majority of canned soft drinks it tested had low, but measurable levels of bisphenol A
....exposure can also occur through air and through skin absorption.[150]
...Free BPA is found in high concentration in thermal paper and carbonless copy paper
... Popular uses of thermal paper include receipts, event and cinema tickets, labels, and airline tickets.
,,,drinking from polycarbonate bottles increased urinary bisphenol A levels by two thirds
Iris

Post by Iris »

I still use a glass bottle, but I find it not very handy. In the past I have been searching for Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottles, but I couldn't find them here. But yesterday I saw them in a magazine, and apparently they come in many pretty colours now :D http://www.kleankanteen.com/
Last edited by Iris on Mon 22 Mar 2010 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

I had a nice 1L steel bottle for quite a while and really liked it. Unfortunately I dropped it recently while falling down a mountain during my leisurely hike :roll: The adrenaline rush was quite awesome, though, and luckily I didn't get seriously injured... Only a dime size chunk out of my hand, ripped clothes and some minor scrapes and bruises as I was layerd due to the cold. :lol:
I haven't found any steel bottles the right size since and have only had my plastic one since, and I can taste the difference. I would use glass, but it just seems too easy to break... especially since I usually drink and hike.