Enough nutrition?

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
AlexaGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Enough nutrition?

Post by AlexaGirl »

I didn't finish yet on my earlier topic -- PCOS --, but here's something else I'd like to bring up for discussion. So, if we had two people, Person A adhering strictly to the Wai diet, and Person B eating a "normal" diet with cooked meat, veggies, and grains, which one is more likely to absorb more nutrients (let's say that both Person A's and Person B's diets both exactly match FDA nutrition standards).
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

I'm particularly interested in absorption of zinc and B vitamins.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

With nutrients you mean macro- and micro-nutrients?
And with FDA standards you mean the amount of calories consumed per day?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Enough nutrition?

Post by RRM »

AlexaGirl wrote:if we had two people, Person A adhering strictly to the Wai diet, and Person B eating a "normal" diet with cooked meat, veggies, and grains, which one is more likely to absorb more nutrients (let's say that both Person A's and Person B's diets both exactly match FDA nutrition standards).
Then it still VERY much depends on what exactly you eat.
For example:
100 gr. egg yolk contains 3.11 mg zinc and 0.02 mg vitamin B3, whereas
100 gram salmon contains 0.64 mg zinc and 7.9 mg vitamin B3.
Do you see the remarkable difference?
Also, when your intake of egg yolks / fish is relatively large, so will your zinc intake be, whereas some fruits are very high in specific b-vitamins.

Also, even though beef is high in zinc, grains and veggies contain substances that inhibit zinc absorption. And, the b-vitamins are relatively volnerable where it comes to heat, so that cooking destroys relatively much of the b-vitamins. But then again it depends on how much meat you eat, relative to grains and veggies, and on what kind of veggies / grains you eat.
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

With nutrients you mean macro- and micro-nutrients?
And with FDA standards you mean the amount of calories consumed per day?
I mean ALL of the FDA nutrient requirements per age group, as outlined in the nutrient calculator.
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

Oh, shoot, I really messed up the quotes on the last post! The first part was Oscar's questions, the last part my answer (as if that wasn't obvious). Heh, heh.
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

I guess what I really am interested to know, in a nutshell, is whether or not the nutrient guidelines on the nutrient calculator are realistic. It's so hard to plot a meal to match each and every mineral/vitamin/misc. nutrient level, especially zinc, iron, magnesium, and Vitamin B3. Perhaps because there are fewer enzyme inhibitors and such on the Wai diet, it isn't necessary to get really close to or match the official nutrient recommendations?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The guidelines aren't that realistic. They're all too high, and some far too high. Nevertheless we can fulfill or get close to most of them. In any case the calcium recommendation is far too high, zinc, magnesium and B3 seem a bit high, iron we should be able to manage.