Is this gentleman wrong, saying juice causes diabetes?

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Did you read the article about diabetes?
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/diabetes.htm
fictor

Post by fictor »

There is a difference between gulping down cups of heat treated juice with no fat and sipping freshly squeezed juice with olive oil, a little at the time.

That said, I think whole fruit is probably more healthy, except maybe if a person have some kind of digestion problem making it problematic to digest even something easily digestible like fruit.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Whole fruit is not more healthy, but its far easier to overconsume juice than whole fruits, so that with juices its easier to ignore your actual energy needs, as it is with all energy-dense foods.
fictor

Post by fictor »

One more thing. The guy says that doctors only measures glucose in your blood. I thought the body converts ALL energy to glucose? If that is so, there will never be other sugars, like fructose in your blood??
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

fictor wrote:I think whole fruit is probably more healthy
I agree, and this is from personal experience and also using logic in the sense that primitive man did not have juicers and so consumed the whole fruit, just the way nature intended.

I drank a very little amount of carrot juice (no pulp) several days ago and within minutes I was urinating frequently...again and again. The urine was clear (not yellow) but when I tested it I was shocked to find that it contained a large amount of sugar in it.

:shock:

Since then I have avoided juicing and stick to whole fruits and I am glad to say I have not experienced what I described above ever since. The fibre (and possibly other chemicals) contained in the pulp help to slow the absorption rate of the sugar, thus preventing a massive sugar rush.
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

RRM wrote:Whole fruit is not more healthy, but its far easier to overconsume juice than whole fruits, so that with juices its easier to ignore your actual energy needs, as it is with all energy-dense foods.
Please see my comment above. The amount of carrot juice I consumed was not a lot, yet it spiked my blood sugar a great deal. I won't call drinking a tiny amount of carrot juice 'overconsumption'.
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

By the way, I consumed the carrot juice with some olive oil.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Me too eating only whole fruits.

But its because im too lazy to wash the mixer. :D

My laziness will save my life in the end. :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Whole fruit isn't necessarily more healthy than juiced fruit. Similarly, "what nature intended" isn't necessarily more healthy than an optimized version thereof. Controlling blood sugar levels is easier with juices, but requires being more in sync with the energy needs of the body. Merely replenishing blood sugar energy limits the overall insulin usage.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:I thought the body converts ALL energy to glucose?
CAN.
Fructose can also be directly converted into energy, but the bulk of the carbs utilized goes the glucose pathway.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

If we are sipping juice in small amounts why is it recommended to add oil? Doesn't the oil simply slow down the rate at which the juice is digested? Why not just take smaller sips?

or is it just a matter of convenience?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:If we are sipping juice in small amounts why is it recommended to add oil?
1) The oil prevents acid reflux.
2) You are not solely consumg carbs as a source of energy. When its just sugars, your blood-sugar level is more likely to fluctuate more. When 2 sources of energy are available, the need for energy is spread over those 2 sources, instead of just 1.
Doesn't the oil simply slow down the rate at which the juice is digested?
A bit, yes.
Why not just take smaller sips?
1) that would require even more 'meals a day'.
2) the combination of fats and sugars makes you feel better, more stabilized
or is it just a matter of convenience?
Yes, also.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Oscar wrote:
"what nature intended" isn't necessarily more healthy than an optimized version thereof.
Hi Oscar,
How do we know nature didn't intend for us to cook some veggies? What if that is why we have cooking? Maybe our big mistake is throwing out the cooking water.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't think nature intends anything. if something gives you an advantage you will be more fit to survive.

but sometimes it isn't survival of the fittest but survival of the fit enough...

In todays world we are going to die (quickly) if we eat a poor diet. We will probably live long enough to have children and teach them to eat the same diet.