Protein, a bigger insulin response

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
chris m failla
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Protein, a bigger insulin response

Post by chris m failla »

Dear moderators, I researched what you said about protein having a bigger insulin response, and of course it checks out. Thats is amazing how this site knows so much information. I would like to know how this works though. Does protein foods cause a bigger insulin response if only you overeate the fish or steak? Or does it cause a bigger insulin response even with a small amount? If you may, will you go into some detail for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Because the studies do specify that a bigger insulin response is in comparison to carbohydrate foods like bread and oatmeal, but I do not understand the quantites aspect of the study. Thank you kindly, Chris
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Hi Chris.
Its simply when the effects of specified quantities are compared; 1 gram of specific amino acids versus 1 gram of glucose, for example.
What does that mean regarding the food that we eat?
We should not be afraid to eat carbs when it comes to the risk of diabetes, as protein 'is not better'. So, its not so simple that there are 'bad foods' (high in carbs) that need to be replaced by 'good foods' (low in carbs / higher in protein).
What does matter is how much we strain the insulin system.
The insulin system (including glucagon and somatostatin) is there to direct conversion of available energy to spare energy (glycogen, fat) and vice versa, and coregulates the uptake of neurotransmitters into the brain. Logically, this system can get overburdened if it is overstrained on a very regular basis over an extended period of time (many years). It can be strained too much by that what it has to do: taking care of all those conversions of energy. If too much energy needs to be converted all the time, the system will get out of wack.

It does not matter so much what the origin is of that energy (sugars or protein), but in what quantities it needs to be converted. When we eat big meals, lots of directly available energy needs to be converted into spare energy, and reconverted into directly available energy in between meals.
When we eat lots of small meals, more direct available energy is used for that very purpose, and less needs to be converted. Hence less burdening of the insulin system.
We used to be 'hunter-gatherers', which means we spent most of our time searching and hunting for food, and picking it from trees.
Of course we didnt first gather everything and then, after a few hours ate from it. No, as we gathered it, we ate from it. We ate as we gathered.
Hence more 'grazing', and less bigger meals.

hmmm... Im unsure whether i answered your questions though...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote: We used to be 'hunter-gatherers', which means we spent most of our time searching and hunting for food, and picking it from trees.
Of course we didnt first gather everything and then, after a few hours ate from it. No, as we gathered it, we ate from it. We ate as we gathered.
Hence more 'grazing', and less bigger meals.
How do we know how much hunting vs gathering we did? maybe some of us have descended from groups who (maybe due to location) did more hunting and therefore didn't graze but ate larger meals.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sure.
Im just saying that the grazing is good for you when we consider burdening of the insulin system.