Post by summerwave »

This refers to arabinose in apples:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=973475
summerwave

pears and apples

Post by summerwave »

This refers to the same in pear and apple concentrates:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n87w3q06p5553m70/

Most frozen and bottled commercial juices in the U.S. are reconstituted with added 'fiber' or concentrated flavors in the form of apple, pear, or other pulps; I do not know if they are somehow chemically degraded to be high in arabinose, or if the arabinose occurs naturally; I have always reacted very poorly to these frozen or bottled juices. If you could set me straight on the science of all of this, and if I am indeed off about how all this works in what I observed, I would be grateful. I am barely able to follow scientific literature, in fact; and tie my observations to it with more or perhaps in this case less success....
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, you are doing a great job yourself. From your sources it is clear that apples and pears do contain arabinose. (that souci does not list them does not mean that they list them as being 0; just that they are not named)
It would be helpful to find a list of arabinose in different foods, with actual numbers that we can compare.
I suspect that arabinose is just one of the many substances that need to keep us from eating the fruit if it has not ripened properly (yet). Its one of the many so-called anti-nutrients. As you can read in your second article, the level of arabinose varies with storage time and temperature, so that its linked to natural ripening.
It examplifies why we should only eat fruits that have well ripened.
The pulp that they add to those juices comes from apples that never made it to the stores because they hadnt ripened properly; in the food industry they dont throw away stuff, they just re-use it for another purpose. Now we know why your body cant stand those juices.
summerwave

arabinose

Post by summerwave »

Wow; thank you; very good to know... I could not tell if arabinose was something that could be refined out of foods, but simply was not available to the body to cause a problem.

Yes, I do not have numbers yet; just my symptoms (which told me which foods were not fine) plus the beginning list of foods.

I think I could tolerate my own grape juice because the grapes were very ripe, completely peeled (the arabinose I think in them is concentrated in the skin); and a small part of my diet (I diluted it heavily; I could not always get to Chinatown to get them). But arabinose is found in grape and apple marc; all those fruit pulps, and in red wine for this reason...arabinoxylans are in the bran of all cereal grasses; arabinose too is in ginseng, seaweeds I think; echinacea, aloe vera, and everything I mentioned above in the list I sourced from an industrial site on the uses of arabinose.

Arabinose, again, is produced by candida and I believe even in addition to its being an antinutrient, it can be something the body becomes extraordinarily sensitive to, as in my case, due to the sensitivity to the yeast that is causing a problem....
summerwave

sucrose and arabinose

Post by summerwave »

I avoided fruits high in sucrose too as arabinose inhibits sucrose digestion in the lower intestinal tract.

My understanding of how this functioned in me is that sucrose digestion was already impaired from the intestinal lining being so compromised (the source on this is Canadian Elaine Gottschall and The Specific Carbohydrate Diet; there is information there I found reliable about how every sugar/starch other than monosaccharides goes through the final stages of digestion along the colon wall, and how this can break down). Yeast/candida can feed on sucrose then, because the body is unable to use it. Yeast produces arabinose, which further inhibits one from digesting sucrose, which in turn makes sucrose very available to itself, etc....

So I concentrated in refined fructose and refined glucose, which are monosaccharides; honey; dilute grape juice from peeled grapes which I made myself, and a few other fruit juices low in sucrose I could easily make and dilute. I enjoy pineapple juice, and pineapple seems low in arabinose, but it is high in sucrose, so I avoided it. Ah, yes, mango too (I forgot it in my list above) is high in arabinose.

Mostly I trusted honey, though, and became very suspicious of all juices with those pulps/fruit marcs and pomaces in them. It all seemed to work. In fact, the dietary exclusions I now believe helped as much or more than taking the plant toxins/herbal substances that were antiparasitic and/or antifungal. But that is another story for another time...
RRM
Administrator

Re: sucrose and arabinose

Post by RRM »

summerwave wrote: every sugar/starch other than monosaccharides goes through the final stages of digestion along the colon wall
Most of the absorption of glucose, from ingested starch or sucrose, occurs in the upper small intestine.
Low-digestible carbs, such as fiber, resistant starch and sugar-alcohols, are mostly fermented by bacteria in the colon.
But, yes, some sucrose may end up in the colon.

fructose + glucose relative to total carbs available:
6.3% sweetcorn
23.4% muskmelon
25.4% peach
27.7% mango
29.7% mandarin
30.4% apricot
34.7% banana
36.9% pineapple
48.8% litchi
52.9% plums
54.3% fresh orange juice
58.8% oranges
60.4% grapefruit
62.8% commercial pineapple juice
65.3% fresh grapefruit juice
67.6% granadilla
67.9% pears
68.0% apples
68.8% fresh granadilla juice
71.7% watermelon
76.7% dried dates
79.6% commercial apple juice
79.8% raspberries
81.1% strawberries
89.3% dried figs
93.6% artificial honey
93.8% tomatoes
94.7% guava
95.9% grapes
96.6% commercial tomato juice
96.8% honey
97.0% cucumber
97.8% kiwi
98.8% commercial grape juice
Last edited by RRM on Sat 06 Dec 2008 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
happy_face

Post by happy_face »

Summerwave, while you were taking the treatment and had to adjust your diet accordingly, may I ask you what total quantity of carbs you were taking in a day? I know it is different from one person to another but that would give me an idea. Following Dr Biamonte's suggestions, I could have between 60 and 90g of carbs (for moderate candida). I am now adjusting my diet and preparing my body for the candida treatment but (as I was afraid of) my energy is not that great.

On my diet: I got those big grapes and now eat grapefuits instead of oranges. Honey is definitely a plus in my diet: I would have 2 table spoons per day with water and OO throughout the day. That's it for the "sweet" fruits. Since I reduced the sugars, I now need to eat 4 avocados, 1 cucumber , OO per day. The avocados work well with me. I was already very thin and have lost a lot of weight on the Wai diet (water). Since I can't have too many carbs for now, avocados help me to get some energy (well, as I said, it's still not that great). I am also thinking of taking hazelnuts and almonds (might be allergic to brazil nuts). My hope is that after taking the candida treatment, I will be able to take higher quantity of carbs so I can have more energy. Also, my belief is that candida is not helping either in my weight (I have always been underweight) and acne (hormonal imbalance). The Wai diet is definitely what I want to follow but I see that candida may be the cause/root of many of my little health problems. Treating it and eating the Wai way migt be the solution (for me anyway).
summerwave

sugars

Post by summerwave »

That pretty much fits what still works for me now.

I misspoke; I should have identified the upper digestive tract for those more-complex sugars, not the lowest parts (that is, the colon).

I still do not have values for arabinose in foods, I am glad still I found this sensitivity in myself. It also corresponds to some of the sugars in chocolate (cacao)-- these are all things I had trouble with, I do think, for this reason.

I was taking a supplement early on; I was guessing from the Biamonte site where he refers to a type of supplement but not the brand and I perhaps chose incorrectly....(they all have different ingredients)....It was a type of substance that is supposed to bind mercury in the digestive tract early on to reduce this problem in Candida until more serious mercury removal methods can take place when one is healthier.

It seems that one of its main ingredients was carrot fiber; carrot pulp, desiccated and added in to the supplement... it made me terribly sick. Every step I took involved a few steps backward.

With your sugars table above, for I am still careful after the treatment about what I eat within the Wai diet, I think I can not just stay healthy, but help the small intestine and colon recover on their own. Probably some sensitivities to foods will remain. But sugar by itself-- I just want to say-- is the basis of glucose-based metabolism and this is the way to eat, I feel. The Wai diet is what I follow now; I perhaps eat a little more fat/oil, especially animal fats in fatty fish and meat, and choose my fruits carefully, but those are the only modifications. And I don't take any supplements or antifungals against Candida at all. I feel tremendously healthy. So-- again--- my thanks. This board helped me tremendously.
summerwave

Happy_Face's question

Post by summerwave »

Dear happy_face; I was posting just as you were; so it seems I was not responding to your message (it was more to RRM)....

I cannot in truth say. It was mostly in the form of honey, refined fructose and glucose, and dilute fresh-pressed grape juice.

I must say during this time my energy needs were incredibly low as I was very sedentary; researching a lot, writing a lot, and sleeping a tremendous amount. So it was 'sustenance-level' for a very inactive, indeed very sick, person.

I ate small amounts of raw fish and egg yolk; rather more oil and heavier fats (red palm oil; coconut oil; some dairy fat at times in the form of raw butter)-- even though I think the psyllium took most of that fats value away from me.

You can think of me on a 'sugar drip' (like the intravenous drip in hospitals) that was external, with the above single-sugared drinks (50%/50% fructose/glucose; dilute honey; dilute grape juice, and all possible combinations of the above) for most of the diet. When I cut back the psyllium at times or gave myself a break from it, I ate calories mostly in the form of fats (raw butter mixed with raw tuna that was chopped up; salmon swimming in olive oil). It took some thinking to take so 'many' sugars on an anti-Candida diet, but amazingly, it worked.

It is interesting too that many trying to cure Candida recommend Granny Smith, or green, apples, as a low-sugar fruit in the early stages... I tried this but absolutely could not tolerate apples, as I have said.

Also, I cannot say enough that you should do what I did not, which was calculate absolute energy needs and ration the sugars accordingly. It was very hard to hold back from drinking the above sweet drinks. I knew I had tremendous cravings. But somehow I guessed about the sipping, and overall amount in a day, and it got easier and easier as the problem abated. But you are doing far better than I did to try to calculate this up front, if you are trying this.
happy_face

Post by happy_face »

Thank you Summerwave. Your experience helps me a lot. I am gathering all this precious as well as reading books, articles on candida and its treatment. This is not an easy treatment because it involves the way we eat, listen to our bodies + there seems to be so many parameters to consider! It is much more than just taking a pill and waiting. When I start the candida treatment (in January, after a lovely vacation in NY:lol:), I will know what I am taking, for how long, what are the die-off effects (I also expect to lose more weight!!!)... so I am preparing myself now. Having tried (and not succeeded) an candida treatment a few years ago, I want to make it right this time.

So thanks again for your previous postings.
summerwave

Fruits

Post by summerwave »

Dear RRM (just to finish out this discussion)-- When I look at the bottom part of your list above, it corresponds nearly exactly with what I eat, almost to the proportion....

This part of the list (everything after apple)-- is what I tolerate best:

79.8% raspberries
81.1% strawberries
89.3% dried figs
93.6% artificial honey
93.8% tomatoes
94.7% guava
95.9% grapes
96.6% commercial tomato juice
96.8% honey
97.0% cucumber
97.8% kiwi
98.8% commercial grape juice

except of course that the grape juice is homemade. I eat frozen raspberries quite a lot; a large amount of cucumber and honey; some dried figs... Pretty much I concentrate on the above to the exclusion of all else, in terms of fruits and honey.

And these are all foods, as you've noted so beautifully in your list, that are very very high in the simplest sugars-- which do not need digestion.

I think on some level I am balancing most of them-- since I vastly prefer the way honey suits my digestion; my health-- with refined fructose and/or refined glucose, depending on the proportions of these sugars in them, until they are almost 50%/50% -- just like honey. It is uncanny how much I can predict what will agree with me by simply considering the sugars composition.

Best of explorations, Happy_Face... as you can see, it is the results of observation that can help most. You have to be unflinching and always find another path when something does not work. It is not determination; it is a kind of grace.
Gerard

candida

Post by Gerard »

A friend of mine was reading this with great interest; she has been using the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (adjusted to be about 60% raw) which actually claims to solve candida with diet alone, by starving candida of any 'extra' food like sucrose or grains that are not fully broken down by a damaged intestine.

In the past couple of days she tried to rule out all arabinose-containing foods like you've mentioned on this thread. It ha so far had even better results.

She is now quite determined that by this 'trick' of avoiding arabinose, as well as sucrose and all the rest on the SC Diet, she can really solve it without antifungals.

We'll keep you posted....
(She's trying to do Wai too but with the new list of arabinose-containing fruits she has stepped back a little, making the diet a little less of a priority. But she is still trying hard to get what she eats to be 100% raw)--
summerwave

Candida/diet

Post by summerwave »

I wanted to simply summarize all the postings from me above...

A) I avoid, and avoided, arabinose and high-sucrose foods while treating for Candida.

1) The arabinose sources I ran into the most included: agave nectar, apple and carrot juice with pulp; pears, peanuts (I know they are not included on the diet to begin with); the foods listed above in the list on sources in industrial production of arabinose. Also, there are a great many 'herbs' used in alternative medicine, incl. for Candida, that are high in arabinose, including: aloe vera, echinacea, myrrh, frankincense, asafetida, turmeric; various barks and polysaccharides, etc.

2) The high-sucrose fruits are listed succinctly and perfectly by RRM here and on various other parts of the site. Many sweet tropical fruits make this list: mango, pineapple, etc. The monosaccharide-rich fruits are kiwifruit, figs (but which are high in arabinose); grapes (not high in arabinose if peeled?and if finely filtered.... I could not tell)-- you can find them and control them using RRM's list.

B) I ate an extremely low-fiber diet, including cold-manufactured fats, finely-sieved juices, and raw fish and eggs. Psyllium, while necessary to me for treatment, is itself arabinose-containing, and is a kind of necessary evil... If you cannot tolerate it, do not blame yourself. I truly think that arabinose, which is produced by yeasts, becomes something the body is highly sensitized to, to the point where it has little or no tolerance.

C) I avoid, and avoided, tartaric acid sources, as yeasts are also linked to this sensitivity. I will not explain it all here, but some of the literature on Candida in autistic children finds high tartaric acid levels.

D) I ate a low-oxalate diet naturally due to the Wai diet; I don't know why, but when I broke the diet at times, I found oxalates had a huge effect as well. Again, I don't know why.

E) I ate a low thiol or thiol-producing diet, which is linked to mercury in the body. There is more literature on this online... I am barely mentioning it here just to say I left no stone unturned, as mercury levels in the body are sometimes linked to Candida.

So my diet was actually high in sugars and relatively low in actual fruits, with raw proteins and fats.... I could not tolerate nuts at all.... and it was very frustrating at times, as it matched no real diet out there.

But the insights of this diet guided me greatly, and 'cracking' the problem involved the arabinose/sucrose connection.

I now am in perfect health, still eating cautiously and branching out with fruits heavier in sucrose-- but staying very conservative.

It is possible in fact to eat quite a lot of 'sugars' (though it depends which type) and follow an "anti-Candida" diet: I just want to say that, once and again. And never, ever, ever secondguess a sensitivity you may have, even though you may be the only one having this problem and noticing this. Our bodies are highly individual in terms of sensitivities. The above is a patchwork of "do's" and "don't"s, yet it worked perfectly. Astonishing and really, in the end, totally humbling. I don't mind having been sick; I do mind not knowing what was right for my body for a long time.
summerwave

observations

Post by summerwave »

What you conjectured about arabinose seems sound; it decreases as fruit ripens. The ripest fruit is of course the healthiest; the most desirable... this is another reason why.

Here is a study that notes that arabinose decreases greatly as red Bell peppers (sweet peppers; capsicum) ripen:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/ygkallynhj7yje8f/
Corinne

foot/nail fungus; Possible relation?

Post by Corinne »

Hi Summerwave,
How are you? still healthy free of candida symtoms? I couldn't imagine not! :wink:
Your reasearch and work on yourself is fascinating. Thanks for posting it all here.
I've been reading this thread as I was wondering if there could be connections between the molds of foot/nail fungus and those of candida.
I haven't read through all of Dr.Biamonte nor Elaine Gottchild's sites yet (plan to) but I'm curious if you had any symptoms on your feet and if you came across anything interesting relating these 2 together.
I took the candida symptom test on Biamonte's site and came up with 147 meaning (according to him) that my symptoms are most probably yeast related.

I'm applying essential oils locally to my feet and nails and this is helping somewhat, yet I start to wonder because I'm already eating Wai for 3 years and there is very little progress with my feet over this time.

So what I am starting to experiment with is tweaking the diet much more towards the mono-saccharides and see what this does to my feet. :wink:
Basically for the moment I'm allowing myself to eat the fruits that have 65% or more fructose/glucose to total sugars, from RRM's list.

I gather that you only used honey for extra sweetener in juices? Was this because the fructose or dextrose one buys (even health-food store brands) is not guaranteed 100% ? This I read on elaine Gottchild's site. Is there a sure way of checking this?

For the moment I'm doing grapefruit juice instead of OJ but it's quite a shift and I need to sweeten it more than the OJ.

if you have any tips they are more than welcome!
thanks!